reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I am a newbie all over again. Going to start a tank soon after being away 30 years. Looking at equipment, did an internet search for control systems and Robo-Tank came up. Shout out especially to Ranjib and Rob for their work and all of you for the support. This world would be a much better place if everything was open source and a collaborative effort. I have been messaging Rob on his Robo site but since I am following I decided to jump into this thread. Rob suggested in his last message that not all equipment will work with ReefPi so my question to the masses is how do I start selecting equipment that will? For instance I am looking at the Aqua Life dimableDX hybrid lights which have a 0-10v connection so am assuming that would work. What other equipment clues should I be looking for on skimmers pumps etc.?
And welcome :), we really appreciate the kind words. Hope reef-pi helps you with your hobby :)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok getting ready to build mine. Primary objective is to monitor everything I can, but no control. I have a ph probe is every one using a ds18b20 for monitoring temp? How about optical switches for water level - what is a good one to use? Anything else easy to monitor?
ds18b20 is the one currently supported. There are ways to hook up custom sensor (using hal file drivers), but i would expect almost everyone using ds18b20. optical switches works just like float switches. Theres nothing special in software, all differences are only in the circuit. I used dfrobot optical sensors. They ship with a breakout board that makes thing little easier.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I wrote you in August, I’m still on holidays.
So, I will setup the ph probe next week and... yes, the config file has that line!

For the temperature sensors, after the errors they keep on working without any problem.... till one or all the sensors have another error... than they keep on working.

The 3 sensors have been working without any peoblem (without any error) since the 19rh of August.

P.S.: Raspberry Pi 3B+ and reef pi 3.3.1 running.
Please start your build thread ,that way your issues are consolidated in one place. we wont be able to keep track of your build details and it will be hard to help you on the main thread for persistent issues.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. Despite using a Kalkwasser stirrer and all my ATO water being Kalkwasser, my pH still tends to be a little low, typically sitting between swinging between 8.0 and 8.1 between night and day. I would like to increase it slightly if possible, and would like to use the reef-pi pH Control feature to do it.

Can I please get setup suggestions from anyone who is doing this. I've got a few ideas using Macros, Timers and Dosers, but I'd rather not re-invent the wheel if someone already has a bulletproof method.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't dose anything based on ph.

I suppose I should have told the full story and give my full background thinking.

My actual plan is to dose based on one of the popular 2-part dosing regimines with all the normal tests that go along with it. I plan to use the reef-pi control more as a way to actually turn off the dosing if it goes outside my goal parameters and send me alerts. Depending on how you look at it, it's technically the same thing. But in terms of utilizing the reef-pi functionality, it has to be thought of as enabling the dosing within a specified range.

At the moment I'm thinking of a Macro to enable the Doser at the lower threshold and another to turn it off at the upper. My initial thought on this is whether it will only turn the dosing back on at the lower threshold (as I suspect it will) or if there is a way to turn it back on when it's back within range. Playing with a narrow range and the hysteresis settings might be necessary, hence me not wanting to re-invent the wheel if anyone has implemented something like this successfully.

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running version 3.4 on my Pi 3b+. Very couple hours it seems I get alert in email for:

Temperature sensor failure. Error:EOF

trustychords

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose I should have told the full story and give my full background thinking.

My actual plan is to dose based on one of the popular 2-part dosing regimines with all the normal tests that go along with it. I plan to use the reef-pi control more as a way to actually turn off the dosing if it goes outside my goal parameters and send me alerts. Depending on how you look at it, it's technically the same thing. But in terms of utilizing the reef-pi functionality, it has to be thought of as enabling the dosing within a specified range.

At the moment I'm thinking of a Macro to enable the Doser at the lower threshold and another to turn it off at the upper. My initial thought on this is whether it will only turn the dosing back on at the lower threshold (as I suspect it will) or if there is a way to turn it back on when it's back within range. Playing with a narrow range and the hysteresis settings might be necessary, hence me not wanting to re-invent the wheel if anyone has implemented something like this successfully.

I've wondered if we could use Reef-Pi to control a solenoid valve that is connected to the airline intake of a Co2 scrubber. That would be the best way to consistently maintain a higher pH.

Last edited:

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I haven’t tried this. It seems like it could work. Maybe start with dosing ro or saltwater until you have confidence in it. I get a bit noise on my ph line. It’s okay for monitoring but I don’t trust it to control.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wondered if we could use Reef-Pi to control a solenoid valve that is connected to the airline intake of a Co2 scrubber. That would be the best way to consistently maintain a higher pH.

I live in a part of the world where we don't have very extreme weather and as such, the tank is in a room that always has adequate ventilation. The window next to the tank is wide open 90+% of the time, so I doubt a buildup of CO2 is responsible for suppressing my pH. I have at a time run my skimmer air intake from outside the house and the pH results are the same.

Reef-pi could easily control a solenoid valve as you describe.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tried this. It seems like it could work. Maybe start with dosing ro or saltwater until you have confidence in it. I get a bit noise on my ph line. It’s okay for monitoring but I don’t trust it to control.

Yes. I would start dosing the 2 part manually starting with lower amounts than I should need and slowly adjust to get stable. I'd then tweak reef-pi around that dosing regimen.

themericks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm having an issue with the reef-pi dashboard tab. Every time I click "Configure" in the Dashboard tab I get a red "404 page not found | HTTP 404" error and it does not give me the option to configure the dashboard. All other tabs work fine, lights, dosing, temperature, etc. Running reef-pi 3.4 on a pi3. Any idea why this would be happening?

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running version 3.4 on my Pi 3b+. Very couple hours it seems I get alert in email for:

Temperature sensor failure. Error:EOF

Any chance you're using Robo-Tank, I think you are? I was just made aware of this and get the same error when running 3.4 but not 3.3.1 but it still appears to be an error related to the controller as no else seems to get this but it's blowing my mind as it works with one but works with errors on the other. I've been working day and night trying things but not really getting anywhere. I've run some off a script in a terminal window and other methods but never an issue so it's not easy to track down.

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you're using Robo-Tank, I think you are? I was just made aware of this and get the same error when running 3.4 but not 3.3.1 but it still appears to be an error related to the controller as no else seems to get this but it's blowing my mind as it works with one but works with errors on the other. I've been working day and night trying things but not really getting anywhere. I've run some off a script in a terminal window and other methods but never an issue so it's not easy to track down.
Yes I am using Robo-Tank Deluxe controller and Reef-Pi 3.4.

lepetitnicolas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your set and that sensor looks good but here's another option that works for anyone else looking for something similar. There's a few versions, the V at the end of model is what you want. They go through thick glass and you can take the cap off and adjust the sensitivity.

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot Pi is only 3.3v, the sensor I posted needs 5v and outputs 5v so could damage Pi pin.

Now I look at the other sensor it's 5v too so likely 5v comes out, make sure you check. If it does put out 5v you'll need to add a voltage divider which is 2 resistors, 4.7k and 9.1k.

voltage_divider.jpg
Hello,

I tried this assembly but it does not work, I have a very low signal output voltage of a few mv .... without change of state.

I tried to connect the sensor directly in 3v and it works perfectly !!!
I will now install it on my tank to do a full-scale test

see you soon

Non-contact Liquid Level Switch

6W4A8637_564x376.jpg

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My saga of temperature sensor development continues - this time using some of the stock sensors available and not my own potted assemblies. These sensors were purchase awhile back from overseas and were the "best" of the available probes / brand recommended by others (with the orange-red silicone jacket). I never made them into finished sensors since I hadn't setup something for testing yet.

The good news is the available "fake DS18B20" detector developed by others claims the element is real - this is encouraging. I have a whole smorgasboard of sensor cables I was testing and most do not pass this test, as expected.

Next up is a qualification and calibration rig I'm building for my stand-alone temperature sensor. First part of the rig is a Fluke 9102S Dry-well, which is used a stable and controllable temperature source - it can generate a stable temperature at a number of useful room temperature ranges as it has a peltier element to cool as well as heat, and sufficient thermal mass to keep things stable. Its not as good as a wet well of circulating liquid (oil?), but its a lot less messy. The good news is it can check sensors at the one temperature we want, ~78F or 25.5C.

image0(2).jpeg

The dry well is very stable, but its actual temperature is not very accurate over its range. So, part two is directly measuring it:
image1(1).jpeg

Yeah I splurged and "gold plated" the whole thing with the Dostmann P-795 and a calibrated PRTD element.

So, all that fanciness, how does the average sensor match up? About 0.3C higher than reference - nicely within spec.

Now the bad news - I went through about 20 sensors I had kicking around from the same seller that I never put up on the website: all were authentic Maxim/Dallas parts, but 5 of them had an error of 1C, and one extreme example of 1.5C high (thats 80.6F). While there is margin for livestock safety, the results there aren't encouraging for even this sensor.

Each sensor was first left to settle for 30min, and then averaged over 5 minutes. The sample to sample reading was nearly always within a few ADC counts (good). I don't have an explanation for the outliers yet, but measurements have been repeatable.

Each DB18B20 was powered from a "worst case" on the voltage model: 3.3V supply, 3.3V pull-up (2.6k), and read once a second (higher self heating potential).

Screening sensors is still important :)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My saga of temperature sensor development continues - this time using some of the stock sensors available and not my own potted assemblies. These sensors were purchase awhile back from overseas and were the "best" of the available probes / brand recommended by others (with the orange-red silicone jacket). I never made them into finished sensors since I hadn't setup something for testing yet.

The good news is the available "fake DS18B20" detector developed by others claims the element is real - this is encouraging. I have a whole smorgasboard of sensor cables I was testing and most do not pass this test, as expected.

Next up is a qualification and calibration rig I'm building for my stand-alone temperature sensor. First part of the rig is a Fluke 9102S Dry-well, which is used a stable and controllable temperature source - it can generate a stable temperature at a number of useful room temperature ranges as it has a peltier element to cool as well as heat, and sufficient thermal mass to keep things stable. Its not as good as a wet well of circulating liquid (oil?), but its a lot less messy. The good news is it can check sensors at the one temperature we want, ~78F or 25.5C.

image0(2).jpeg

The dry well is very stable, but its actual temperature is not very accurate over its range. So, part two is directly measuring it:
image1(1).jpeg

Yeah I splurged and "gold plated" the whole thing with the Dostmann P-795 and a calibrated PRTD element.

So, all that fanciness, how does the average sensor match up? About 0.3C higher than reference - nicely within spec.

Now the bad news - I went through about 20 sensors I had kicking around from the same seller that I never put up on the website: all were authentic Maxim/Dallas parts, but 5 of them had an error of 1C, and one extreme example of 1.5C high (thats 80.6F). While there is margin for livestock safety, the results there aren't encouraging for even this sensor.

Each sensor was first left to settle for 30min, and then averaged over 5 minutes. The sample to sample reading was nearly always within a few ADC counts (good). I don't have an explanation for the outliers yet, but measurements have been repeatable.

Each DB18B20 was powered from a "worst case" on the voltage model: 3.3V supply, 3.3V pull-up (2.6k), and read once a second (higher self heating potential).

Screening sensors is still important :)
Whoa, pretty interesting findings :) . Thank you for sharing

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I tried this assembly but it does not work, I have a very low signal output voltage of a few mv .... without change of state.

I tried to connect the sensor directly in 3v and it works perfectly !!!
I will now install it on my tank to do a full-scale test

see you soon

Non-contact Liquid Level Switch

6W4A8637_564x376.jpg
Thank you for sharing the details. Keep us posted,

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive minds,
I have just cut a new reef-pi release, 3.5. Its been almost 4 months sine the last stable reef-pi release and lot has piled up since then. Hence this release brings a handful of goodies. Key highlights are

New features:
  • Availability of ADS1015/ADS1115 series analog to digital converter. This will allow a wide range of analog sensor, including alternate temperature sensor, UV/Lux sensors, anemometers, VOC/CO2/Gas sensor and many more system to seamlessly integrate with reef-pi and used for controlling equipment.
  • We have introduced a special feature called "One Shot" in temperature , ph and ATO controllers. When enabled reef-pi will run the controller till the sensor reaches its target point instead of running perpetually. For example an one shot ATO controller will run the ATO pump till the sensor detect water level has reached the level and stop there. Same for temperature and ph, where the controller will stop soon the read reaches within min/max zone. When used within macro, this step will block the next step instead of running parallel. Intention of this feature is to help model auto water change and other scenarios.
  • Macros now have a new step called "alert". This can be used to send sms/email as part of a macro
  • Lighting module UI now support lunar, random and sine profile in addition to the existing ones (auto/interval, diurnal and fixed). Decimal/fractional values are also allowed in light profiles.
  • API documentations are now bundled with reef-pi code itself. The footer section in the UI will link to API documentation.

Bugfixes:
  • Pi 4 driver detection failures are resolved for upgraded raspberry pi os.
  • Temperature calibration bug was fixed
  • Equipment chart rendering bug was fixed
  • Temperature chart bounds are now removed, light chart rendering bug fixed.
  • Erroneous and out of acceptable range temperature sensor values are now ignored and retry logic has been implemented to address ds18b20 sensor reading issues.
Other than these critical features and bug fixes a number of tech chores across package updates, automated user acceptance test , performance improvement have also went in this release. I want to thank @Michael Lane from the bottom of my heart for his tireless contribution across drivers, backend and UI bugfixes. Without his work this release wont be happening in this challenging times.

Release builds are available in usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/3.5

Please help us make reef-pi better by testing and providing feedback. You all, including the pre-built hardware vendors, have been absolutely awesome and we appreciate your effort and interest in this project. You, the users and builders, constitute the best of this project.

Yours truly
ranjib on behalf of reef-pi development team.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back