reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, made another cable with a different trs plug and same response, no response. For funs and grins I inserted it into the output jack and took measurements, on one of the ends, can't remember if it was tip or ring it read 1.37v so I thought that was interesting. It does not read anything coming from the input.

I guess the next step would be to open it up, kind of reluctant to do that but not sure how else to troubleshoot it. Not real sure with doing that what I am going to be looking for, it could be that the mars aqua analaog output is just not what it wants to see, I do not have a Kessil controller on hand to verify, if I did I wouldn't need this. :)
If you had 10v and after plugging in it dropped to 1.37v something is going wrong, sounds like something is shorted. Based on that I wouldn't connect another 10v source with any current behind it until you figure out why it drops.

The Kessil uses the same 0-10v as the Nicrew, it sounds like the converter is doing it's thing as you can control the output signal, not much can go wrong with them, I use the same opamp and never had a problem with them. If you want to stay on the safe side I would suggest getting a TRRS plug or cable as someone did mention they smoked a Pi with a TRS but it worked fine with a TRRS. When you have the TRRS plugged in light you can verify the wire that has 24v so you don't use it. If that doesn't work then you know something is wrong with light or converter. Right now it could be a cable issue.

pais

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm trying to emulate pH board's output with arduino, i2c communication protocol. I understand pH board should output a number (maybe in ASCII code), linearly dependent on pH read, but I don't know the range of possible number neither the type (integer ? Float ?) Please help me understand what does the board output and the reef pi interpreting, I will give you an example :
If I write as character in ASCII these bits : 0x35 0x2E 0x32 0x33 0x38 0x32 0x00 .....(32bit length) That should respond to pH of 5.2382 , but I get a value of 309 on reef-pi dashboard, can you please help me ?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm trying to emulate pH board's output with arduino, i2c communication protocol. I understand pH board should output a number (maybe in ASCII code), linearly dependent on pH read, but I don't know the range of possible number neither the type (integer ? Float ?) Please help me understand what does the board output and the reef pi interpreting, I will give you an example :
If I write as character in ASCII these bits : 0x35 0x2E 0x32 0x33 0x38 0x32 0x00 .....(32bit length) That should respond to pH of 5.2382 , but I get a value of 309 on reef-pi dashboard, can you please help me ?
If you get it working, I'd be interested in the arduino code, might come in handy for me soon

pais

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get it working, I'd be interested in the arduino code, might come in handy for me soon
I already implemented a i2c emulator for ph-ezo circuit on arduino, but having to send pH and EC both with a single arduino board i have a single i2c servo address and i was sending alternatively pH and EC readings to reef-pi. Now i've seen phBoard receives a different character from reef-pi than ezo. So i'm going to use single arduino distinguishing from pH/EC request based on character received but i need help for understanding phBoard byte interpretation

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had 10v and after plugging in it dropped to 1.37v something is going wrong, sounds like something is shorted. Based on that I wouldn't connect another 10v source with any current behind it until you figure out why it drops.

The Kessil uses the same 0-10v as the Nicrew, it sounds like the converter is doing it's thing as you can control the output signal, not much can go wrong with them, I use the same opamp and never had a problem with them. If you want to stay on the safe side I would suggest getting a TRRS plug or cable as someone did mention they smoked a Pi with a TRS but it worked fine with a TRRS. When you have the TRRS plugged in light you can verify the wire that has 24v so you don't use it. If that doesn't work then you know something is wrong with light or converter. Right now it could be a cable issue.
I wasn't clear in what I was doing, I took measurements from the output jack only. I did not have anything in the input, I connected my cable to the output only and saw 1.37v coming out. I can understand why they would want to use a TRRS plug for powering the device but the kessil only uses a trs plug and I have read that the Kessil controller works with the light. My next steps is to open things up and take a look and see what I can see.

pais

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already implemented a i2c emulator for ph-ezo circuit on arduino, but having to send pH and EC both with a single arduino board i have a single i2c servo address and i was sending alternatively pH and EC readings to reef-pi. Now i've seen phBoard receives a different character from reef-pi than ezo. So i'm going to use single arduino distinguishing from pH/EC request based on character received but i need help for understanding phBoard byte interpretation
Sorry if i reply to myself but i resolved the problem, after some trials. My hypotesis is that the phBoard outputs a 2-byte (16 bit) number with sign, ranging from -2^15 to 2^15, where maybe first bit stands for sign. Correct me if im wrong but almost sure i got it, thanks, if you are interested in arduino code please tell me where to put it (which platform).

Dave's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys I am back its been a long time since I have updated or made any changes to my reef-pi. She was way over due.. everything is running perfectly so far even got my PH going again. You guys have done an amazing job with Reef-pi and the updates and added features since I started. It has been an awesome 3 year since I first started letting reef-pi run my tank. I am sure this is something someone has asked or questioned before but I'm going to question it again. Is there anyway to change the way the equipment graph shows names? I have 22 pieces of equipment and of course on dash board it would be nice to see what is on or off but most of the names get cutoff. Just to toss a suggestion out there would it be possible for the names to run vertical inside the red or green bar on the graph? Also I due have 5 temperatures running checking every 120 seconds and in the temp screen whenever I want to expand one or make changes it's super lagging and not very responsive? Anyone else have this issue?
Thanks again guys and keep up the amazing work.

Dave's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 220g running reef-pi

20210418_182719.jpg

Bzar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. Trying to add the sht31d for room humidity and temp control. Have it all wired and raspberry pi is seeing it on i2c 44. Just having troubles getting it working in reef-pi, is there a set of instructions to get it working in reef-pi? I've added the driver, added it as an analog input, trying seeing it's readings in a pH section graph and it's not reading, wondering what I'm missing here?

Thanks.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. Trying to add the sht31d for room humidity and temp control. Have it all wired and raspberry pi is seeing it on i2c 44. Just having troubles getting it working in reef-pi, is there a set of instructions to get it working in reef-pi? I've added the driver, added it as an analog input, trying seeing it's readings in a pH section graph and it's not reading, wondering what I'm missing here?

Thanks.
If you are seeing 44 from i2cdetect you need to use 68 in reef-pi. 44 is Hex address, 68 is decimal that reef-pi wants.

And remember to go to admin tab and press the reload button so the changes are seen.

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to toss a suggestion out there would it be possible for the names to run vertical inside the red or green bar on the graph? Also I due have 5 temperatures running checking every 120 seconds and in the temp screen whenever I want to expand one or make changes it's super lagging and not very responsive? Anyone else have this issue?
Thanks again guys and keep up the amazing work.
May be worth posting on this thread about the Reef-Pi UI itself :) That would definitely be a nice feature!

Are you running on a Pi 0W, or a 3/4? If you're on the lower power 0, that's probably your issue more so than the number out temperature sensors. If you're on the 3/4, does it only lag when you expand it? Or does it do it when you first open the temperature page?

Bzar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are seeing 44 from i2cdetect you need to use 68 in reef-pi. 44 is Hex address, 68 is decimal that reef-pi wants.

And remember to go to admin tab and press the reload button so the changes are seen.
Thanks very much this fixed it and works now :)
Cheers.

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Ranjib,

Not sure if everyone knows this but I've discovered this the hard way. I did not realize that if Equipment is set to OFF and schedule has been set for a dosing device the graph will still show that dosing has been performed.
In my case somehow the Alkalinity dosing has been tuned of under Equipment tab and my alkalinity kept on falling.
I was checking the dashboard to see if there was any change in the daily dosing but graph was showing that everything is normal. It may be a good idea to update the code not to graph any values if the equipment is in the OFF state. Now I know so there is no problem but others may be in the same predicament trying to solve the issue and not realizing this condition.

Your thoughts?

Dave's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be worth posting on this thread about the Reef-Pi UI itself :) That would definitely be a nice feature!

Are you running on a Pi 0W, or a 3/4? If you're on the lower power 0, that's probably your issue more so than the number out temperature sensors. If you're on the 3/4, does it only lag when you expand it? Or does it do it when you first open the temperature page?
Thanks I posted it there also. I am running a pi 3 b+ it lags whenever I'm in the temperature menu. Not just when I have a drop down open.

Stephen2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone wired up a push button to triger a macro?
If so how did you do the wiring and serup in reef-pi?

Mightythias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am pretty new to the reef-pi world. Just got a Robo-tank and just got everything plugged in and working.
I am continuously seeing a pH error though. It is a parse error and it could be because of the long string of numbers but I wanted to check to see if anyone knows what is going on. My pH always reads out like 14 decimal places. Every time I clear the error it comes back the next read time.

My main concern is that the error that is thrown constant states
ph subsystem: Failed read probe: pH SumpError:strconv.ParseFloat: parsing
"7.\xb914\x00\x00\x00\x00\x80\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x80": invalid syntax
With the parsing number being 7.xx but on my pH chart the value is in the 8.xx.
I am concerned when seeing this error that the reading from my probe is not correct and actually in the 8 range but is instead somewhere in the 7ph range since that is the error I am continuously getting.

My current pH reads at pH Sump-current (8.15677966101695)
but the error that was just put in the error log at the same minute is:
ph subsystem: Failed read probe: pH SumpError:strconv.ParseFloat: parsing "7.920\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x80": invalid syntax

So is my pH 8.15..... or is it 7.920? Where is that parsing value coming from?
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am pretty new to the reef-pi world. Just got a Robo-tank and just got everything plugged in and working.
I am continuously seeing a pH error though. It is a parse error and it could be because of the long string of numbers but I wanted to check to see if anyone knows what is going on. My pH always reads out like 14 decimal places. Every time I clear the error it comes back the next read time.

I am concerned when seeing this error that the reading from my probe is not correct and actually in the 8 range but is instead somewhere in the 7ph range since that is the error I am continuously getting.

ph subsystem: Failed read probe: pH SumpError:strconv.ParseFloat: parsing "7.920\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x80": invalid syntax

I just recently had that issue, try decreasing the i2c baudrate, if you google that you should find plenty guides on how to do that. Mine worked at 50k

As for the value, did you calibrate with the robotank script or in reefpi? That value you see hasn't been touched by the reef-pi calibration yet

Mightythias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently had that issue, try decreasing the i2c baudrate, if you google that you should find plenty guides on how to do that. Mine worked at 50k

As for the value, did you calibrate with the robotank script or in reefpi? That value you see hasn't been touched by the reef-pi calibration yet
I had already decreased the baudrate using the script in the setup instructions.
I have this line in my config.txt "dtparam=i2c_arm_baudrate=10000"

I calibrated the pH probe in reef-pi using the calibrate button in the pH tab using a 7.0 and a 10.0 buffer solution.

Mightythias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also I know how to check the pH with the robotank script. But I do not know how to calibrate the pH using it.
In reef-pi the pH is reporting as 8.25 and using R in the robotank script it is 7.982 but that looks lot be the raw value

Last edited:

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh looks like we got this sorted out. Turned out to be the speed and as @elysics mentioned the pH in the error was the uncalibrated value that's why they are different.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%

Back