reef-pi User Interface (UI) development thread

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to reset the graph data? For example my PH-Historical has some spikes from when I was setting it up and it expands the Y axis too high. Similarly my temp probe was intermittent and now I have some 185 or -1 readings that affect the graph. I am aware that the actual temp graph y axis limits can be set now as of 4.0 but not the historical ones (or I cant figure it out)?

ph.jpg
right now, there isn't any easy way . you can recreate the probe and delete the old one, thats the only easy workaround i can recommend. if you are comfortable with command line/computer, you can use the reef-pi db command to selectively reset those values (details on the troubleshooting page).
This is a common ask, so we may ship a feature to address this.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for researching it out. I feel embarrassed that all these answers are buried deep inside that thread :-(
No problem - glad to help. This may be the easiest way to achieve the result and skip the editor altogether. Its a real pain to edit on a PIZERO:

to show on screen:
cat readings.json | jq '.[] |= map(if .value > x then .value=x else . end)'

x can be the max ph you want in the graph, could be 9 , 8.5 etc…..

to write it to file:

cat readings.json | jq '.[] |= map(if .value > x then .value=x else . end)' > readings2.json

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem - glad to help. This may be the easiest way to achieve the result and skip the editor altogether. Its a real pain to edit on a PIZERO:

to show on screen:
cat readings.json | jq '.[] |= map(if .value > x then .value=x else . end)'

x can be the max ph you want in the graph, could be 9 , 8.5 etc…..

to write it to file:

cat readings.json | jq '.[] |= map(if .value > x then .value=x else . end)' > readings2.json
i use some ruby :) . but this is superb

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could we have an option or a default that actually enforces the chart minimums and maximums? It's irritating somewhat to have the chart ranges set just like i want them but when a temperature fluctuation from an open window or a ph spike/ false reading or something shows up, it skews the whole graph and it becomes useless until i delete the data or wait until the spike goes outside the timeframe of the graph.

Maybe have it bottom/top out the range with a red line to show that it is out of range, if i actually want to know for some reason how out of range it was, i can always hover over a data point or temporarily change the range settings or an option that would toggle this behaviour, but in day to day operation, there is no point in seeing the exact out of range behaviour, especially if it is a regular occurence like for example from an open window, or a water change that with the current behaviour then makes all the actually important data unreadable

Edit: and having chart ranges apply to the heater/cooler graph to begin with would also be nice, that one still always starts at 0 degrees

Last edited:

Dave's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyway to change the way the equipment graph shows names? I have 22 pieces of equipment and of course on dash board it would be nice to see what is on or off but most of the names get cutoff. Just to toss a suggestion out there would it be possible for the names to run vertical inside the red or green bar on the graph?

Last edited:

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyway to change the way the equipment graph shows names? I have 22 pieces of equipment and of course on dash board it would be nice to see what is on or off but most of the names get cutoff. Just to toss a suggestion out there would it be possible for the names to run vertical inside the red or green bar on the graph?
The next release will introduce an additional widget based equipment chart, but I’m unsure if that will make it better or worse the high number of equipment issue. We may have to introduce a notion of groups for the case you are describing

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next release will introduce an additional widget based equipment chart, but I’m unsure if that will make it better or worse the high number of equipment issue. We may have to introduce a notion of groups for the case you are describing
Any eta for the next release? No pressure ;)

DWKDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way we can get a notification if equipment turns on or off or no notification. I have a float in sump to turn off skimmer if high level. Would be nice to get notice if equipment turns off or on or ignore it.

DWKDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed in 4.1 all ATO graphs have the title 'ATO USAGE' no matter what name you give it.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is a long shot but if you share this problem then please give it a like. I am a forgetful ADHD dummy who sometimes goes into equipment or a system and turns it off for a temporary fix and then a few hours laters hears terrible gurgling. Macros are great for regular items we turn off or have repeat motions but sometimes an "always on" system should just go back to always on or notify if its been off.

Eg. I shut off my ATO earlier to remove my media basket on my AIO then gf tells me about xyz interesting thing and boom, tanks a goner. I also shut off dosing pumps for 24-48 hours after a water change... Or turn off a pump to for maintenance... Or turn off my ATO when dripping new corals.

It would be great to specify an alert or auto-turn on for critical equipment so that no matter what my ATO system can be turned on after 6 hours of being toggled off.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is a long shot but if you share this problem then please give it a like. I am a forgetful ADHD dummy who sometimes goes into equipment or a system and turns it off for a temporary fix and then a few hours laters hears terrible gurgling. Macros are great for regular items we turn off or have repeat motions but sometimes an "always on" system should just go back to always on or notify if its been off.

Eg. I shut off my ATO earlier to remove my media basket on my AIO then gf tells me about xyz interesting thing and boom, tanks a goner. I also shut off dosing pumps for 24-48 hours after a water change... Or turn off a pump to for maintenance... Or turn off my ATO when dripping new corals.

It would be great to specify an alert or auto-turn on for critical equipment so that no matter what my ATO system can be turned on after 6 hours of being toggled off.
I think that might be very dangerous when something inside a macro also has that option turned on, especially if you forget after 2 years that you turned that on and decide to change things up. But maybe it could come up with a big fat warning if you try that, telling you to maybe turn the option off first

What I do is that I never, ever, just turn something off in the equipment tab. At least for critical things like the ones you are talking about.

If I ever want to do that, I have a macro for that or make a macro for that. Only have to make those once for each toggle. Or a macro and a timer if it's super critical like the toggle for all flow in the tank.

Last edited:

DWKDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want the timer to correctly call a macro. None of this reverse stuff. Macros run great if triggered manually.

DWKDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please note for moon lighting profile;;

I read read through the lighting profiles and saw the moon cycle set at every 27.3 days - orbit duration.

The correct moon phase - full to full - is 29.5 days. All to single decimal of course. I also don't see a 'days' of no moon in the chart example. There should be one 'no moon day' for the new moon.

You should use 29 days as the profile is emulating the phases of the moon, not the orbit of the moon around the earth. I only know this because I made a moonlight emulator from a program I found on the web. It gives the rise, set and luminance of the moon for any day depending on latitude and longitude. I have it coded in arduino ide and can share it if desired, but it is long and a lot of math using Julian day (that part is easy though)!!!

You can get very close to real phases over a long time by extending the new moon by 1 day every even month. 29 days 30 days 29 days 30 days etc etc etc. The rise and set times will have to be just set hard of course.

DWKDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about rise time, spacing the time to 24.833 hours instead of 24 hours would be a very effective moon rise time emulating the moon rise 50 minutes later every day.

Boostable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is being developed. The new feature is called journal. Users will be able to define parameters (name, description, unit etc) and then add entries (timestamp and values) against specific parameter. Currently API is completed, we are working for getting the UI ready. Not sure if it will be done by 4.0 release or not.. but its coming
Was this ever completed? Can’t seem to get mine to work.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kiwinewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjib

couple of suggestions

- Dashboard to be able to show status of sensors i.e. Float Switches(ATO tank level, water Level, Skimmer Waste level etc) and possibly pH and Temp as Simple large Digits? Be nice to have this at the top of the dash board just as a summary of what's going on.

- Have Actions based on float level, i.e. if Skimmer Waste is full turn skimmer off, or if ATO tank is low turn ATO function off, I think this could be handy for a lot of things.

Cheers hope this hasn't been suggested before, had a quick look but didn't see it

wizby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm planning to use reef-pi as a solar heater controller.
Here is list of some nice to have in future features, to make my life easier.
  • It would be nice to have differential temperature control for efficiency. Let's say if probe1 is 5 degrees > than probe2 run macro1.
  • Also, temperature probe alerts could trigger macros instead/and/or of just sending email alert. Now basically I've to use two probes in same spot. One for normal operation, and the other, if temps gets too hot and run emergency macro.
  • Timers page could have scheduled task manager of sorts, with checkboxes to run macro or equipment daily/weekly/monthly.
  • Macros could have step insert feature. Because if I want to insert step somewhere in the middle, saving time I've to start from scratch.
  • It would be nice to have equipment run timers instead of doing it through macro. Especially for pumps.
Adding button trigger, to trigger some manual working mode for my use case is not very user friendly now. And could not to work out, how to trigger normal working mode after button trigger event finishes. Will poke around with macros on Sunday. System isn't built fully yet.

Back