reef-pi User Interface (UI) development thread

Ninjacorgi13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may have been asked already, but could we get light programming that can go in 0.1% increments? I believe the current build can go from 1% to 0% but that is somewhat high for the black boxes many of us use if we are looking for moonlighting

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This may have been asked already, but could we get light programming that can go in 0.1% increments? I believe the current build can go from 1% to 0% but that is somewhat high for the black boxes many of us use if we are looking for moonlighting

That's not a UI/Reefpi limitation, but rather a driver limitation of the drivers used by black boxes. Their 1% (at least for 0-1% range) is not actual 1%, it's more like 5-10%

Below certain voltage/frequency you will have flicker because drivers can't deliver what's being asked of them by the leds so for the initial step (turn on) it provides power equivalent to 5-10% normal power to turn the leds on and have them not flicker (after that 1% steps are fairly linear) . If you want moonlights you'll need to come up with external solution (there is talk of it in @Michael Lane 's viparspectra control board thread).

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the reef-pi back end can support float values in that range, and the limitation is purely on the UI. I'm wrapping up a bug fix for temperature validation in the next few days, so I'll take a look at what this would take.

The fixed profile has code that ensures the setting is between 0 and 100, but expects integers. This should be a reasonable change, but it would probably need to be in each profile component.

Ninjacorgi13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a UI/Reefpi limitation, but rather a driver limitation of the drivers used by black boxes. Their 1% (at least for 0-1% range) is not actual 1%, it's more like 5-10%

Below certain voltage/frequency you will have flicker because drivers can't deliver what's being asked of them by the leds so for the initial step (turn on) it provides power equivalent to 5-10% normal power to turn the leds on and have them not flicker (after that 1% steps are fairly linear) . If you want moonlights you'll need to come up with external solution (there is talk of it in @Michael Lane 's viparspectra control board thread).

Great thread, I'm following along there too. I'm adding LED strips to my black box, so I think 0.1% values would still be valuable with the external moonlights even if the vipars can't handle it.

Speaking of moonlights, someone should whip up a lunar schedule for reef pi to synchronize with. Would be very neat!

OP
OP
Des Westcott

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alerts

I have been thinking that it would be nice to have a more customizable Alert function. At the moment, you can set up alerts under the corresponding pH / Temp / ATO etc page, but I was think it might be nice to have all your alerts under a separate tab. Sort of like MS Outlook handles "Message Rules". So you can create all your alerts in one place with a system of drop-downs.

Might also be nice to have an option of an alert in a Macro - particularly when Inputs triggering a Macro functionality is fixed

OP
OP
Des Westcott

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be nice if reef-pi included the ability to "Manually" monitor some parameters that aren't measured automatically like temp and pH etc.

Like the things we do manual tests for - Alk / Ca / Phos etc. So just a feature where you can create a graph that you can display in your dashboard if you like and you manually add the datapoints

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be nice if reef-pi included the ability to "Manually" monitor some parameters that aren't measured automatically like temp and pH etc.

Like the things we do manual tests for - Alk / Ca / Phos etc. So just a feature where you can create a graph that you can display in your dashboard if you like and you manually add the datapoints
This is being developed. The new feature is called journal. Users will be able to define parameters (name, description, unit etc) and then add entries (timestamp and values) against specific parameter. Currently API is completed, we are working for getting the UI ready. Not sure if it will be done by 4.0 release or not.. but its coming

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alerts

I have been thinking that it would be nice to have a more customizable Alert function. At the moment, you can set up alerts under the corresponding pH / Temp / ATO etc page, but I was think it might be nice to have all your alerts under a separate tab. Sort of like MS Outlook handles "Message Rules". So you can create all your alerts in one place with a system of drop-downs.

Might also be nice to have an option of an alert in a Macro - particularly when Inputs triggering a Macro functionality is fixed
Alert/Reminder as macro step is already shipped. Does this solves your use case ?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread, I'm following along there too. I'm adding LED strips to my black box, so I think 0.1% values would still be valuable with the external moonlights even if the vipars can't handle it.

Speaking of moonlights, someone should whip up a lunar schedule for reef pi to synchronize with. Would be very neat!
synchronize with?? specific lat/long to simulate a biotope? I have pondered about this.. but still need to gather specifics.

OP
OP
Des Westcott

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is being developed. The new feature is called journal. Users will be able to define parameters (name, description, unit etc) and then add entries (timestamp and values) against specific parameter. Currently API is completed, we are working for getting the UI ready. Not sure if it will be done by 4.0 release or not.. but its coming
Nice. Thank you

OP
OP
Des Westcott

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alert/Reminder as macro step is already shipped. Does this solves your use case ?
It addresses the alert add a macro step. I think I may have posted this not too long before it was implemented.

But the alerts are still scattered all over the place in their respective modules. It might be nice to have them all collected in one place so you can see all the different alerts you have in place and manage them

OP
OP
Des Westcott

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another idea that might be nice - What about a list going forward, maybe 24 hours or so showing all the scheduled event that are in place. Similar to the following :
  • 15H30 - Timer - Flow Pump on
  • 16H30 - Timer - Flow Pump off
  • 17H45 - Doser - Calcium - run 3 sec at 60%
  • 18H00 - Doser - Alk - Run 4 sec at 70%
  • 18H30 - Macro - Feed
  • 19H48 - Light - Start Light 1 ramp down to 50%
  • 20H00 - Timer - Equipment - run Kalk stirrer 5 minutes
Basically a list all in one place of what reef-pi is scheduled to do.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this might be the dumbest post on this thread but can someone point me to the Reef pi UI? has it changed in the last cpl of years?
Its just the IP address or "hostname".local you have been accessing reef-pi through. UI and functionality has been changing pretty significantly over the past two years, we are on 4.0 now.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just the IP address or "hostname".local you have been accessing reef-pi through. UI and functionality has been changing pretty significantly over the past two years, we are on 4.0 now.
the think is I have not been using it. I have a reef pi that I bought I guess a cpl years ago now from a company trying to bring them to market. not sure what happened they just vanished one day. so i never got it up and running. was thinking maybe installing it on the nano? IDK

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the think is I have not been using it. I have a reef pi that I bought I guess a cpl years ago now from a company trying to bring them to market. not sure what happened they just vanished one day. so i never got it up and running. was thinking maybe installing it on the nano? IDK
What is the brand name on it? We can help you get it setup as it is fairly easy with the prebuilt units. A build thread for it or posting in the main reef-pi thread is best for help

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a newbie I am impressed with ReefPi but don’t know a thing about electronics or coding so have difficulty following the deeper discussions sometimes. As yet I haven’t started my build therefore don’t have a ReefPi up and running.

That said I like simplified dashboards with hot keys to take you to more detailed pages. Don’t forget the hot key back to the dash board.

I also like toggling things on off or delayed.

My biggest suggestion however is your following seems to be growing. Consider getting your own forum within R2R for just ReefPi. Have sticky threads that are helpful about general knowledge etc. And have sub forums that branch off from there on individual topics. I don’t know how many 100s of individual issues are in the original thread but now might be the time fo a little more organization....my $0.000002 worth :)

OP
OP
Des Westcott

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ability to "link" equipment outlets would be nice.

For example, if my skimmer runs when my return is off, it overflows, so I have to remember to manually turn it off before I turn the return off. As a work around, I wired them both into the same relay, but when I turn them on, I ideally need to wait 2 minutes for the level in the sump to go down before turning the skimmer on.

My work-around to this has been to have 2 x macro's - one to turn off (turns off both together) and one to turn on (turns return on, waits 3 minutes then turns on skimmer).

What if you could "link" or "sync" one equipment with another and specify conditions like "When I turn off Xx, turn off Yy" and "When I turn on Xx, wait Ss seconds and then turn on Yy"

Could be done with drop-downs like you create Macros / Timers I guess?

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to reset the graph data? For example my PH-Historical has some spikes from when I was setting it up and it expands the Y axis too high. Similarly my temp probe was intermittent and now I have some 185 or -1 readings that affect the graph. I am aware that the actual temp graph y axis limits can be set now as of 4.0 but not the historical ones (or I cant figure it out)?

ph.jpg

Last edited:

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to reset the graph data? For example my PH-Historical has some spikes from when I was setting it up and it expands the Y axis too high. Similarly my temp probe was intermittent and now I have some 185 or -1 readings that affect the graph. I am aware that the actual temp graph y axis limits can be set now as of 4.0 but not the historical ones (or I cant figure it out)?

ph.jpg
Found the answer here : https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...ler-based-on-raspberry-pi.289256/post-7018764

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back