"Reef Safe" Vendors

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently saw this on FB and thought its a pretty awesome idea. I reached out to Helen and she mentioned that there was a good bit of people telling her essentially to leave things alone. I'm by no means a parent but good lord, why wouldn't you want to protect children from potential harm?
It would be cool if things like this would be implemented by the major shows in the hobby...

Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 11.36.52 PM.png

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are potentially predators anywhere you go with your children, I would think a reefing related show would be one of the least likely places something might happen to them however IMO it’s the parents responsibility to keep an eye on their young children, If your in a environment where you can’t be bothered keeping a constant eye on them maybe they should be left at home.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many different levels of offenders. And some (not all) people have changed their lives. Making a safe zone is fine. But who leaves their kids unattended at something like this? By singling someone out who may just be trying to move on with their life and run a business I feel is wrong.. but that's just my opinion.

OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The individual this concerns was found with images depicting child abuse of the worst kind. As a buyer, I’d like to know about those things because I’d rather my money not finance someone who at any point thought that was OK. This isn’t a 19 year old boy that got caught with a 16 year old girlfriend and her parents decided to press charges. This is a grown adult who made multiple bad decisions and finally got caught. Furthermore, most shows are family friendly if you’re not allowed around kids why would you even sign up?
That being said, this program is more about inclusion and not singling out people alongside protecting kids.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a "safe zone", in terms for free of child harassment, is a ridiculous and silly concept. So what is supposed to happen, a child is sexually harassed in an event with thousands of people and then heads to a "safe zone" sign? Its just a comical idea. And one that could provide more harm than good.

There are no hard qualifications that makes one eligible to be "child safe'. It is not the same as teaching children to seek out police, security guards or people with actual qualifications. And personally, if you told my child to go to a random adult coral seller rather than MYSELF if they are uncomfortable, I would probably spit in your face and give you some choice words.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a "safe zone", in terms for free of child harassment, is a ridiculous and silly concept. So what is supposed to happen, a child is sexually harassed in an event with thousands of people and then heads to a "safe zone" sign? Its just a comical idea. And one that could provide more harm than good.

There are no hard qualifications that makes one eligible to be "child safe'. It is not the same as teaching children to seek out police, security guards or people with actual qualifications. And personally, if you told my child to go to a random adult coral seller rather than MYSELF if they are uncomfortable, I would probably spit in your face and give you some choice words.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Totally agree.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abundance of caution, after it came to light that a vendor was an offender.

It may be difficult to establish criteria for "Reef Safe Zones" that excludes individuals who are legally allowed to be there and in the presence of minors. Maybe the hosting organization could check vendors prior to the event and contact authorities if they find ones not allowed to be in the presence of minors?

Seems like the certifying organization could be opening themselves up to liability if areas or vendors are certified as a "Reef Safe Zone" and anything happens.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the wristbands be optional? I am going to a Saltwater Aquarium event, not Chuck E Cheese and really do not want to bother with getting checked every time we go in and out.
And if they are optional, what keeps someone from just cutting a kids wrist band off?
Sometimes my husband and 8 year old tag along to frag shows. How will it work with 2 parents at an event? Or if my older kids (18 and 16 years old) take my 8 year old?

I say just watch your kids and always assume there is going to be someone untrustworthy near by...kinda like always assuming there will be a shark near you when you go into the ocean.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, that is my Facebook post that the OP has posted here in R2R. Is this the best solution ... NO, is it a perfect solution ... No.

This is no different than indoor playgrounds, other trade shows, or even churches who use the armbands.

No, we can NOT make the shows 100% safe but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do anything.

Yes, it’s a parents responsibility but we all know it takes a split second for a child to be separated from a parent, even the most OCD and overprotective parent knows this, so if the armbands help a child from being removed from a venue by the wrong person, doesn’t it make it worth it?!?

I have attended about 10 shows this year and I can tell you children get lost, have seen it.

I am not here to stop anyone from making a living, my hope is we think about it and as a community what can we do to make it safer.

♀️

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completing background checks of vendors prior to the event would get you closer to "100% safe," but that does nothing about the attendees. Ban minors?

What's the proposed criteria for inclusion in the group? Maybe an appointment with an attorney would be worth the money to make sure no liability is created for the hosting organization by including or excluding vendors.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the liability of doing nothing?!? The shows or the vendors don’t want to pay for background checks. Like I said this isn’t a perfect solution but we should try to do something. My proposal would cost show host nothing, if I can’t get sponsors then I will pay for everything out of my pocket.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love the idea! I think it adds a level of protection (actually a couple of layers of protection) for kids, and it's relatively easy to implement. I don't think anyone here thinks there's a solution that completely eliminates any danger, but this would go a long way to preventing any incidents. It sends the message in a very practical way that we care about kids, and like @helen ann said, it's nothing different than other organizations are already doing. I'm very much in support of this idea.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think the plan is to ban anyone. That's one of the things I like about it. We're talking about establishing safe zones for kids and having an armband system for parents and kids. This is a really simple plan to implement.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ban minors though (anyone under 18 according to law) that's not really fair to the reefers that are 16 or 17 years old. The threat to them is little to none, but they're still banned.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it pretty concerning that people would rather ban kids than sex offenders but maybe I’m just not a firm believer that people change.
The sex offender thing is a really gray subject. All someone needs to do is say you did some thing and it’s stuck with you for life. Just like peeing outside will get you on the list too. It’s to much of a blanket to think all offenders are kid killing predators just walking around looking for some child.

I can understand the safe zone. Would make more sense to put those child monkeys on leashes hooked to the parents. Kid found off the leash, whole family ejected.

Your on the offender list. Not allowed in. Keeps it fair for both sides.

Or do like I do. Don’t bother going to the swaps.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the liability of doing nothing?!? The shows or the vendors don’t want to pay for background checks. Like I said this isn’t a perfect solution but we should try to do something. My proposal would cost show host nothing, if I can’t get sponsors then I will pay for everything out of my pocket.

I'm curious of the details, this is a very interesting topic.
Was the individual on the registry legally allowed to be there with minors around?
What prompted the check after the fact?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back