"Reef Safe" Vendors

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I answered that question at some length in THIS POST. Rather than rewriting that post, I'll add some points that I think are worth considering.

1) Just because we don't know of incidents at a show doesn't mean they didn't happen. Sexual crimes are among the least reported crimes due to a number of things. There was at least 1 incident mentioned above, so it sadly makes sense that others have likely occurred.
2) Many organizations (I mentioned my own church in the previous post) recognize that waiting until there's an incident means waiting until it's already too late for someone. The ONUS is on the organization to be sure that measures are in place to prevent abuse from occurring.
3) There is NO substitute for a parent being responsible for their own child. I think everyone in this conversation knows that. The primary responsibility of keeping a child safe is on the parent. However, recognizing that responsibility doesn't mean that organizations should not have a plan in place for child safety.
4) Having a plan is better than not having a plan. If there are aspects of the plan that could be better, then dialogue about that is helpful and necessary. I'm not sure I understand why anyone would argue against having a plan.
It is worth pointing out that there was an alleged incident above. Authorities were not notified, and a trial did not happen. It is wrongheaded to infer that more incidents have likely happened due to the alleged incident mentioned here. I would still urge that poster to go to the authorities and have them look into it.
I see no problem with background checking the volunteers. All else seems overblown in my estimation.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a lot of indoor play areas, Chuck E Cheese and church childcare have a bracelet/sticker/hand stamp policy in place. But I do not feel these fall into the same category as a frag swap. In those places, it is understood that your children will be playing without you right on top of them the entire time. They are made for the children to run around, at times out of your sight for a few moments.

A frag swap is completely different. You should be with your child at all times. I am more freaked out about a child touching something they should not (like the blue ring octopus at MACAN!) than being taken by a predator.

So it is just my person feeling that if you start treating this like Chuck E Cheese, the mindset of parents turns into the same as when they are in those places...you somewhat have your guard down because it feels safe.

I do not disagree with a safe zone...most frag swaps already have a kid zone anyways so it could be dual purpose (or just set up a table with one person working it). Just get a few big helium balloons so the kids can see them from anywhere in the show floor and tell them if they are lost to go there, let an adult in what ever color shirt know and wait.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think his proposition of doing background checks on only people at a station for lost children is a good proactive plan.

I did like the idea of asking fire safety or something like that to come volunteer is a great idea. I've seen them do child safe kits and such at events. They were also the point of contact should there be an issue. These kinds of people are trained to deal with crisis events, and would be a better person to be serving in this role than a volunteer, imo.
This is what I was suggesting. If LE, FD, or someone else already vetted as emergency response can volunteer, even better.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Erm, I don’t think that’s accurate though. We have seen a RIDICULOUS amount of child abuse in churches come to light I n the recent years....it’s insane. Possibly the most abuse in any profession out there. I think religious leaders near children in particular need to have background checks :).

Edit: I misread, we are in agreement
Yes. Everyone at a church who is allowed to work with children needs to be properly screened and that should always include a thorough background check. That was an important part of my point. :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, since it was brought up, I should point out that I was using my church as an example NOT saying that this should be handled by a church. I'm sorry. Not sure what I said that may have confused the intent of my point, but I was never suggesting that this be handled by a church. Any screening of volunteers (whether those are vendors or just show volunteers) should be handled by the show organizers or outsourced to a reputable company who does this professionally.

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not like Chuck-E-Cheese ... person at the door has a black light stamp...all children are stamped with their partners...already someone at the door to check in and out, ...how hard/bad would that be?

Although, I do agree with the mindset of parents able to let kids run free if security stamped....double edge sword.

Last edited:

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the OP has never taken their children to Disneyland, or Disneyworld, or anywhere with a lot of anonymous people.

Evil people will do evil things regardless of the measures you propose.

Onus is on parents to do what they are supposed to, parent. Just like our elected officials are supposed to do what they got voted into office for. And that is to govern. Sometimes I wish the industrial revolution never happened. This world is going into the pooper.
However, there are no registered sex offenders that work at Disney nor at Chuck E Cheese.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel we have beat this dead horse a million times. I'm done with this thread. If youd like to discuss safety and safety only I'd be more than willing to offer my opinion in a professional manner. but I'm done with the sex offender conversation.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to thank everyone for the feedback. This wasn’t meant to cause such a heated conversation and I in no way want anyone to think I wanted anyone banned or shamed at any show. In my heart the intentions were coming from a good place, not sure what else there is for me to say.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
However, there are no registered sex offenders that work at Disney nor at Chuck E Cheese.

People. Crowd. What makes you automatically assume it is someone working there? Do you want back ground checks on people attending the park?

Look. I'm just going to address the elephant in the room and many of you won't like it. Parents must parent and decide on their own if the venue is right for them. You have no right to force change on a venue just because you feel uncomfortable or unsafe.

Disneyland was just an example. School, college, Denny's, Starbucks, a friends house, a concert, the mall, 5th Avenue, sporting event, game convention and the beat goes on. All have people, all have crowds, all have business owners, employees. Strangers.

Where do you draw the line? Someone said deter above. Deter is education. Parenting. Pepper spray. Self defense classes. Situational awareness. Gun safety. German Shepherds. Knowing their friends, peers. Teaching to listen to authority. Honestly when I read this the first thing that came to my mind is that someone has too much time on their hands.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People. Crowd. What makes you automatically assume it is someone working there? Do you want back ground checks on people attending the park?

Look. I'm just going to address the elephant in the room and many of you won't like it. Parents must parent and decide on their own if the venue is right for them. You have no right to force change on a venue just because you feel uncomfortable or unsafe.

Disneyland was just an example. School, college, Denny's, Starbucks, a friends house, a concert, the mall, 5th Avenue, sporting event, game convention and the beat goes on. All have people, all have crowds, all have business owners, employees. Strangers.

Where do you draw the line? Someone said deter above. Deter is education. Parenting. Pepper spray. Self defense classes. Situational awareness. Gun safety. German Shepherds. Knowing their friends, peers. Teaching to listen to authority. Honestly when I read this the first thing that came to my mind is that someone has too much time on their hands.
I think most people agree with exactly what you’re saying. At least I do. Lol. Maybe I assume everyone agrees with me. ;Hilarious Makes my reality nicer that way.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I don't think anyone thinks you can make these places 100% safe. Even a home is not 100% safe. What we're talking about is making venues safer. Also, no one is talking about "forcing" this on any venues. The question in discussion is "What can be done to make saltwater shows safer for kids?" I think that's a worthwhile question to ask.

U

User1

View Badges
I think most people agree with exactly what you’re saying. At least I do. Lol. Maybe I assume everyone agrees with me. ;Hilarious Makes my reality nicer that way.

The world is turning into a horrible place. I honestly get it. I had a really great friend of mine get murdered back in 2000. Just about wrecked my life so I get the reason behind it. Few years back a member of my Unit, a teacher, was shot and killed by a child at a elementary school. Yes, elementary school by a student. Gave his life up to protect another child.

Yet here we are discussing this sort of thing at a hobby event. It is a head scratcher to me.

U

User1

View Badges
I don't think anyone thinks you can make these places 100% safe. Even a home is not 100% safe. What we're talking about is making venues safer. Also, no one is talking about "forcing" this on any venues. The question in discussion is "What can be done to make saltwater shows safer for kids?" I think that's a worthwhile question to ask.

I don't get that from the OP's post at all so I 100% disagree.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't get that from the OP's post at all so I 100% disagree.
The question is the one posed in the OP. Also, the discussion has evolved since that post.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The world is turning into a horrible place. I honestly get it. I had a really great friend of mine get murdered back in 2000. Just about wrecked my life so I get the reason behind it. Few years back a member of my Unit, a teacher, was shot and killed by a child at a elementary school. Yes, elementary school by a student. Gave his life up to protect another child.

Yet here we are discussing this sort of thing at a hobby event. It is a head scratcher to me.

Yeah. We had a mass shooter on my campus in the spring. And I had brought my 5 year old with me to work that day to listen to my student’s presentations. It’s some heavy stuff.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. We had a mass shooter on my campus in the spring. And I had brought my 5 year old with me to work that day to listen to my student’s presentations. It’s some heavy stuff.
I can only imagine. I was a member of a trained entry team as an officer and the team medic. Thank god I only had to use my skills in training and not a real event. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Back