Reef set up... Any inputs on ours?

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we've been going for about 5 months...this is my first saltwater/reef tank. I have to many fish number one but two of the dang things were hiding so we'll we thought they died. So I now do water checks every other day to make sure I'm in parameters. We have 2 clowns, one fire, one pseudochromis (thought to be dead), one pigmy angel ( now the pesudos buddy), one pink spot Gobie, one pearly jawfish ( thought to be dead), one cleaner shrimp and a star fish...Aside from the now known Hollywood stunner that I have a forum discussing with me...this is our current set up... Just by looking can anyone see any major issue with coral placement? I retrofitted this red sea with the Steves LED light kit for red sea tanks. And yes the frag on the left I'm pretty sure is dead but we were trying to save it for my neighbor thinking my light might be better. I don't think any light will help whatever it was... But she has hopes!!! Be as Frank as you need to be, it won't hurt my feelings, I'm here to learn. Thank you in advance...

20200824_182530.jpg

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not familiar with your led set up. You appear to have soft corals. They like lower light. Tank looks good to me. Placement looks nice. Tank looks nice and clean. Those soft corals will grow up two Rd the light and expand. Keep that in mind. Great set up especially at the five month mark. Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
SkyDoodles

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live rock had already been in an established (5 year old tank) we got this from a friend that had the tank crash when his lights died he was out of town. He gave it to us...we started with a complete gut and clean of the tank, new sand and pulled the rock out of it original water when we placed it back in...that helped!

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to above. Tanks looking nice and clean. Softies don't need too much light or flow so you should be all good with what you have going on. Do you have any idea of what might have killed the fish?

OP
OP
SkyDoodles

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to above. Tanks looking nice and clean. Softies don't need too much light or flow so you should be all good with what you have going on. Do you have any idea of what might have killed the fish?
We put the carpenter wrasse, pearly jawfish and the peusdo In after about a month...we NEVER saw them for 3 months...I assumed they were dead. So I bought the pigmy angel and the pink spot...next thing you know the jaw fish and the peusdo started showing up...puesdo and pigmy love each other, lol. Never did see the wrasse and it's been 4 months since we put him in. Or he's still hiding and I have WAY to many fish...we had also added the clown and fire face In that 3 months time frame...I thought we had 3 fish, lol. Has that happened to anyone? Fish just show up after months?

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We put the carpenter wrasse, pearly jawfish and the peusdo In after about a month...we NEVER saw them for 3 months...I assumed they were dead. So I bought the pigmy angel and the pink spot...next thing you know the jaw fish and the peusdo started showing up...puesdo and pigmy love each other, lol. Never did see the wrasse and it's been 4 months since we put him in. Or he's still hiding and I have WAY to many fish...we had also added the clown and fire face In that 3 months time frame...I thought we had 3 fish, lol. Has that happened to anyone? Fish just show up after months?

I had a purple firefish do exactly this. It would hide in the rock work for weeks at a time. I think mine may have been a bit timid around my other fish. I've also had a yellow assessor and a fathead anthia that would spend most, if not all of their time swimming under a rock or out of site at the back of the tank.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to accurately place corals you need to measure par.. however most people don’t have access to such an expensive tool, general rule of thumb with placing corals (in my experience) all corals I get start off on the sand bed and slowly over the course of a few weeks make there way up to their final home on the rocks... thiss basically allows them time to acclimate to your lighting and their respective spot in your tank... other than that you are doing super well, glad that your fish are all accounted for ! Also when nursing a coral back to health usually it’s not the lights that are the most important part it’s the water being in such a condition that the coral is no longer stressed normally it’s low light, lower flow and good water that makes for healing corals but depends on the type so... doing awesome !

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%

Back