1   0   0
Very informative video!

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue. I do a 5 to 10% water change every week and i find that even the very expensive salts seem to be imbalanced and seem to never mix at alk of 9 and a cal of 450. Every time i do a water change i find it throws the parameters out of balance in such a way that dosing equal parts of the two part just don't ever seem to work. Example. My alk is 8.46 but my Ca is 410: so i need a bit more ca than i need alk.

I realize if you were basing this on coral use, you would always get exactly equal parts but when you factor in the fact that salts never mix up as advertised...different story. I&O for example is well known to mix high in alk but low in ca. I have the HW marinemix and it mixes high to around 8.5/490 and if i am not careful with it it will cause the ca to go so high that any alk you add just participates and you get a low alk that cant be corrected because the ca is so high..all because of the salt mix.

It seems to me the idea that you can does without constantly testing (or even maintain a tank without constantly testing) is a pipe dream???

OP
OP
Afishionado

Afishionado

Richard @ Afishionado Channel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video, but you forgot to mention the DŌS by Neptune Systems - :)

@Terence Hello Terence, how are you? It's been a while since we last spoke. (we spoke at Orlando Reef A Palooza )

IMG_1095.JPG

Sorry that I didn't include DOS doser into the video. I usually folk up my own expense for videos and I just didn't have enough funding to add any more dosers into the video. Trust me, both me and Mark were complimenting how well made your dosers were.
I would love to include your products in the future Reef2Reef videos if you are interested.

OP
OP
Afishionado

Afishionado

Richard @ Afishionado Channel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue. I do a 5 to 10% water change every week and i find that even the very expensive salts seem to be imbalanced and seem to never mix at alk of 9 and a cal of 450. Every time i do a water change i find it throws the parameters out of balance in such a way that dosing equal parts of the two part just don't ever seem to work. Example. My alk is 8.46 but my Ca is 410: so i need a bit more ca than i need alk.

I realize if you were basing this on coral use, you would always get exactly equal parts but when you factor in the fact that salts never mix up as advertised...different story. I&O for example is well known to mix high in alk but low in ca. I have the HW marinemix and it mixes high to around 8.5/490 and if i am not careful with it it will cause the ca to go so high that any alk you add just participates and you get a low alk that cant be corrected because the ca is so high..all because of the salt mix.

It seems to me the idea that you can does without constantly testing (or even maintain a tank without constantly testing) is a pipe dream???

Hi, of course you have to test and test frequently.
You have to test and adjust accordingly. However, when you do 5 to 10% water changes and unless you have smaller nano size tanks, it shouldn't cause significant parameter spikes.

But for the record, yes. Test and test frequently and adjust accordingly as needed. :)

zzzdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Side note; if you work your alk to a 9 dKH then the balance point for ca would be 426. I never seen a week go by that there isn't a small difference in ca/alk balance from even dosing.

Josh King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For this episode, we go to Mark Esquenazi of ME Coral to discuss about dosers. What's out there? What do you look for? What is the important things about dosers that you should know about?

Enjoy!

This may be helpful for people watching: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator
I am unsure it if works with other products other than BRS 2 part. I think so.

zzzdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Balance points if your alk is;12.474 then ca should be 450
11.776 dKH = 445
11.077 dKH= 440
10.378 dKH= 435 and so on
For every .699 drop in alk (dKH) = a drop in ca by 5ppm
For more info check out Randy's chem page

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back