OP
OP
Reefanatik

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some street 90s for my overflow box and they didn't fit. After looking at my box and wondering what the heck is going on I decided to measure the overflow box, well along with Planet Aquariums not building my tank with the corner protection, they also sent me the wrong (smaller 16" ) overflow box. Frustrating, now I have to wait on that too. If I could do it all over again I would have ordered my tank from someone else. I know mistakes happen but the customer service has been lacking to say the least. I was going to just order a Synergy Ghost overflow but they have a 4 week wait time on them. Looks like the tank won't be up until 2021.

OP
OP
Reefanatik

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on skinning the stand. next is trim and then work on the canopy. While I was taking a break I received my 80/20 T-slot aluminum rails for the lights.
IMG_4548.JPG
IMG_4549.JPG
IMG_4546.JPG
IMG_4547.JPG

OP
OP
Reefanatik

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking up my tank AGAIN today. Hopefully everything is good. Picked up this equipment lift today to help lift the tank.... Gotta save this old back.
71B6E5E8-0E11-4CD2-80F1-E942778293D3.jpeg

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is coming along really nicely man! Maybe I missed it, but what size tank did you use for your sump? Also, are the baffles and sock holders cut from acrylic? If so, how well did the silicon bond them to the glass?

OP
OP
Reefanatik

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is coming along really nicely man! Maybe I missed it, but what size tank did you use for your sump? Also, are the baffles and sock holders cut from acrylic? If so, how well did the silicon bond them to the glass?
The sump is a custom tank a friend of mine gave me. He bought it from the guy who owns fraghousecorals. He bought three of his frag tanks and two glass sumps a couple years ago. The sump is 60"L x18"Wx17"H, ~75 gallons. Yes, the baffles and shock holders are cut from acrylic sheets I ordered online and a different friend cut them for me. Those baffles aren't going anywhere... They are on there real well, solid hold.... I have no concern about them leaking or coming lose. This is the silicone I used.
0E474EC2-D513-43B7-95F0-52300F59A968.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefanatik

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered the wrong size street 90/elbow that goes on the return line to the bulkhead. I didn't want to wait a few days for replacements to come in from BRS so I went to lowes and did the best I could. I will probably go tomorrow to a local Ace Hardware to see if they have schedule 80 90s. I bought regular schedule 40 90 and painted them so I could start cutting and dry fitting the return lines. Most likely not permanent.
087D6C14-522B-4AEA-AD02-4AA82F86FD50.jpeg
90FF0B8E-957C-44DE-8E76-107F6C5E4544.jpeg

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info on the sump. How hard is it going to be to remove those drain lines after they are glued up of you ever need to? They don't look like they could be pulled out with only the one union in the back. Not that they should need to be pulled I guess.

OP
OP
Reefanatik

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info on the sump. How hard is it going to be to remove those drain lines after they are glued up of you ever need to? They don't look like they could be pulled out with only the one union in the back. Not that they should need to be pulled I guess.
Yeah I thought about that. Hopefully I will never need to pull them. I actually bought extra union's but ended up needing to put the drains close to each other so I could get the return under the drains in the back...... As i was typing this I went to the back and realized I have a little room to spare so I may adjust the drains tomorrow to try to add a couple more unions right where the drain lines come into the sump area through the wall. 1st Pic below shows I have a little room to separate the drains a bit more. 2nd pic is where I will add the other unions right where plumbing comes into back wall.
FD3C4E0A-AC61-482F-BD95-B449C78250D3.jpeg

EC4436E8-5145-4117-8675-5E42EC214AA1.jpeg

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have both the room and the unions on hand, I would add them. You can also stagger the unions a little to gain more room between the pipes if needed. Also, what is that black square with the circle in it on the side f the sump? Is it drilled on that end for something?

OP
OP
Reefanatik

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have both the room and the unions on hand, I would add them. You can also stagger the unions a little to gain more room between the pipes if needed. Also, what is that black square with the circle in it on the side f the sump? Is it drilled on that end for something?
It was drilled by original owner and had a bulkhead on it. So I ordered a piece of glass and siliconed it to cover the hole.

OP
OP
Reefanatik

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a leak test and I found a defective gate valve. Just my luck I guess. It leaked at the split line. Better for it to leak now than in the middle of the night.
E39DE38E-F0D8-4C98-9DA2-6CF1F4F6D8A1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefanatik

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both return valves have been replaced. Going to let it dry overnight and and leak test in the morning. Will let it run all day tomorrow if there aren't any leaks and then I'll put saltwater in it on Sunday, then transfer everything's over from my current tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back