Reefbreeder Photon V2 Settings

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a 60" long 18" wide 25" tall tank with a Reef Breeder Photon 50-V2 hanging about 6" off the water. Due to my tank hood, I may be able to raise that about an inch if needed.

I'm looking for a good light schedule and haven't been able to find anything that I love. I also have an SPS frag about mid level in the tank that appears to be bleaching. I've currently got my blues (channels 2,3, 5, and 6) maxing out at 50%, my green (channel 2) maxing out at 40%, my whites (channel 4) maxing out at 40%, and the reds off. I started out at 30% on all channels and ramped up to my current settings.

I'd love for some feedback or suggestions. My clam and RBTA seem to be loving the lights but none of my SPS seem to be doing fantastic (water quality is great). Do I need to turn the lights up? Down? Raise my lights? Lower them?

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try raising the lights up as much as you can just to try and get better spread front to back.

These are powerful lights and there is a par chart on reef breeders site for each light, but I believe it is for all channels running at 50% as Adam at battlecorals runs his at 100% and reports almost exactly double the par readings.

I have a 24” v2 over a 24 inch tank at about 14” over the tank. Blues are at about 30-40% and the other channels set (somewhere around 10-15% just to make the color to my liking. I’ve got sps at about 6” below and doing great.
couldnt tell you my par though.

Hope this helps!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix a color that looks good on the tank. Note the ratio.
Then set the intensity. Most likely blue will be slightly dominant.
Don’t need go over 20-30% at that distance. It’s a powerful light.

Dimmers % aren't always a % of total intensity. Very often at 1% it’s actual 30-40 % of full intensity.
So at a 1:1 ratio on alll colors , you may be giving the tank 400 par at the top of the tank even at 1%.

Set the preferred color peak time at 6hrs. Set a set a two hr ramp up to that peak. Add one hour of blue on either end of that. For the am and pm pop.
If you run into trouble , increase or decrease the peak intensity or time.

If things go well , you can extend the two Ramps on either end.

If you look at a $15 lux meter. You can set the intensity much easer.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the adjusting done on that light? Are there channel ratios/percentages AND an overall strength? Or is it just power per channel and no global strength?

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the adjusting done on that light? Are there channel ratios/percentages AND an overall strength? Or is it just power per channel and no global strength?
Power per channel, no global strength.

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I have mine set. Still not completely satisfied with it, but it grows corals and looks good.
I also cheat on the time. It only allows a one hour change on the hour, not on the half hour, so if I want my lights to turn off at 10:30 pm, I set the clock on them 30 minutes fast.
upload_2018-1-10_7-58-4.png

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d honestly just try to mimic the coral lab ab+ settings developed for the radion pros since the color layout of the reef breeders is very similar. But since there’s no global power setting just start by cutting those numbers in half.

All blue and violet/uv channels at 50% and the white red and green channels at 12%.

It’s a proven color program that has a ton of positive results to support it. And you can apply it to most LEDs on the market. If you have access to a par meter you can increase or decrease those percentages to target your own ideal range (250-350) on the rock Work

brandon0921

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone post pics of SPS doing well under this light?
I've been running a mixed/SPS dominant reef with a photon v2 for a little over a year now. SPS is growing well, but I am struggling to get good colors out of red and pink sticks. Not sure if I have the whites too high, or if it has something to do with the white spectrum in these lights not being ideal for sticks (read about this, dont actually know).

I can post some pictures for you in a bit.

brandon0921

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a mixed/SPS dominant reef with a photon v2 for a little over a year now. SPS is growing well, but I am struggling to get good colors out of red and pink sticks. Not sure if I have the whites too high, or if it has something to do with the white spectrum in these lights not being ideal for sticks (read about this, dont actually know).

I can post some pictures for you in a bit.

66edc61c34295e13698d13749c4b6533.jpg
8d5b58cb71bbb873b8675d747525fada.jpg
e342bba97b0c0456262a9296ca04b725.jpg
28be31cdfb8befa95058c31eec2991dd.jpg

brandon0921

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brandon, nice tank! What settings are you using throughout the day and hours for each?

Todd
Thanks! I'm not at home to confirm and can do so later, but I run the lights for about 7-8 hours with a few hours of ramping on both ends. I have the blues and violets at 100 during peak and whites around 25. A few red and pink pieces I had good coloring with before have been appearing sort of dull lately. I was originally correlating the issue to phosphate levels (~.07), but they have always been in this range when the sticks had good color and I had increased my whites from ~15 to 25 a few months back. I plan on dropping the whites a little bit every week to see if they color back up, if not, I may consider a new light or retro fitting some T-5's onto this fixture.

christiantt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how low you have them mounted and your surface agitation. All LEDs with individual colors will have some disco effect

Mine is placed app. 8" above the water.
But the 12% gives me a disco effect. So I almost turned it off.

But I love the lamp. It looks amazing when you find the correct schedule :)

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back