ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. We get the keys today.

I am going to start testing the water this week to see how far the cycle is in. I've got some feather dusters on the rock so I think we are doing pretty good. Given the precyling of my rock and the addition of 1L of Seachem Matrix, seeded in my 90g, I suspect the cycle is complete.

I just need to go buy a new test kit as my ammonia kit is expired lol. Its been a few years since I last cycled a tank.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been noticing some feather dusters on my rock. I introduced a bit of macro from my fuge on the 90 to seed the tank with what think are beneficial clean up crew. Bristle stars, bristle worms, pods and stomatella snails. I grabbed a stomatella snail manually and stuck him in the Nuvo. I'll be testing my water tomorrow but the rock has been cycling for other a month now.
ef94ca733003efd7887e28720a06bb71.jpg
10d32f65c597444962310b6ec95a95cf.jpg

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my levels. Ammonia is still pretty high. I think I'll change out my filter floss and stop ghost feeding. I am also going to pull the macro algae. A bit disappointing but it is what it is.

Ammonia .5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

I've added some more dry rock into the back of the tank, so hopefully that helps.

I've got until Aug 1st to move the new tank so I'm hoping to have the tank cycled and ready to transfer in the next two weeks so I can let the coral settle a bit before the move. That will also give me time to sell of the old setup.

I'm a little frustrated that it's not already cycled. I think I'll bring over a few more rocks from the 90.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did some maintenance. I'm cleaning out as much of the 90 as I can. I have a pretty bad macro and bubble algae problem in there so I'm scrubbing as much of it I can. I'm only taking a few rocks out of the old tank since most of the rock in the 90 isn't nice pukani like I have in the Nuvo.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will test again on Monday.

What do you guys think about my cycle progress? Should I add some bottled bacteria? I'm feeling the pressure right now to get my corals transfered over and to break down the 90.

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like @brandon429 would say that the presence of your micro fauna would indicate that your tank is cycled. Another point in favor of the tank being cycled being that you cycled the rock for a month prior, allowing the bacteria to populate those rocks, so those rocks already had your biological filtration base established when you put them in the new tank.

Your tank is probably cycled already.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like @brandon429 would say that the presence of your micro fauna would indicate that your tank is cycled. Another point in favor of the tank being cycled being that you cycled the rock for a month prior, allowing the bacteria to populate those rocks, so those rocks already had your biological filtration base established when you put them in the new tank.

Your tank is probably cycled already.
After looking back at my posts it's actually been about 3 weeks since I started cycling the rock. I think my issue is that I put a whole deli shrimp into the tank and didn't remove it, I just let the whole thing dissolve. I ghost fed about once a week in addition.

Since I moved the water over with the rock I think that my ammonia levels were just really high. I'm thinking of running the skimmer for the weekend and testing ammonia on Monday. Hopefully I can start the coral transfer next week.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teddy I can't thank you enough for showing me this thread

That is the first time I've seen open feather dusters adhered to rock with no coralline (where without the feather duster attachment we wouldn't know that rock has been submerged a while, without light? going back to reread)

Regarding ammonia, we are observing five threads right now where the tester measured 8ppm in a tank with zero, and there are also other confounds such as using prime water conditioner at any step, or overwhelming the current bac whereas a normal bioload wouldnt. I feel 100% due to that fanworm and any degree of old live rock being moved over this is cycled, to get a tester to register that I'd change the water, run skimmer, and add some clean up crew and corals and they'll be fine. Don't blast feed just work up slowly it's gtg

Hasn't that white rock above with the open fanworms been underwater at least months to develop them that well? I can't imagine fanworms could appear in three weeks?

I'm going to use this tank cycle example in the microbiology of cycling thread once we trace out the state of the bacteria using biomarkers and submersion time

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teddy I can't thank you enough for showing me this thread

That is the first time I've seen open feather dusters adhered to rock with no coralline (where without the feather duster attachment we wouldn't know that rock has been submerged a while, without light? going back to reread)

Regarding ammonia, we are observing five threads right now where the tester measured 8ppm in a tank with zero, and there are also other confounds such as using prime water conditioner at any step, or overwhelming the current bac whereas a normal bioload wouldnt. I feel 100% due to that fanworm and any degree of old live rock being moved over this is cycled, to get a tester to register that I'd change the water, run skimmer, and add some clean up crew and corals and they'll be fine. Don't blast feed just work up slowly it's gtg

Hasn't that white rock above with the open fanworms been underwater at least months to develop them that well? I can't imagine fanworms could appear in three weeks?

I'm going to use this tank cycle example in the microbiology of cycling thread once we trace out the state of the bacteria using biomarkers and submersion time
The rock with feather dusters was dry, it had been sitting outside for a while.

The rock was put in saltwater on May 23 (based on my posts). A second batch of rock went in a few weeks later (on the day I started this thread). I seeded the rock with about 4 lbs of rock from my 90g. I placed a whole deli shrimp in the tank and let it dissolve. After it broke down I added about a pinch of NLS pellets about once a week. When I put the rock in the Nuvo, I added 1 liter of Seachem Matrix that had been seeding in my established tank for 2 weeks. The rocks have not seen light the whole time they have been wet.

I hope that helps explain my cycling process. I haven't been testing as my ammonia test kit is expired.

It's possible that the rock was leaning against the live rock I seeded with, which likely had feather dusters on it. I count two feather dusters on the rock now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make sure the tank can handle the transfer. I'm bringing over a cuc as well. 1 Halloween Hermit, about 8 small blue leg hermits, 1 Emerald Crab (maybe a second one hiding in my tank?) and 2 Astrea Snails.

No fish for a while though.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a perfect safe test load it will pass :) it's ready

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still topping off the tank by hand. I can't wait to get all my equipment switched over.

Equipment from 90g:

Apex Classic
Avast ATO w/ diaphragm pump
Phosban 150 reactor
Reef Octopus BH-2000 HOB skimmer
32" Blue SBar by SB Reef Lights
32" Tek 6 bulb t5 fixture
Icecap 3k powerhead

I think it will just be the Apex and ATO that come over to the new tank. The rest I need to sell off.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut the fuge compartment off today. I just ordered the InTank Fuge basket as well.

Now I need to decide on a light. I have a small led bar that I've been using on my current fuge but I'm also considering the IM Fuge light or an led Growlight off of Amazon like this.

What direction should I go in?
3a02dbb67587327237bd015c57e81102.jpg
93718dffb143f0633d922145e52cdc76.jpg
e074180861219510a4b1a09b85a40ed0.jpg

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut the fuge compartment off today. I just ordered the InTank Fuge basket as well.

Now I need to decide on a light. I have a small led bar that I've been using on my current fuge but I'm also considering the IM Fuge light or an led Growlight off of Amazon like this.

What direction should I go in?
3a02dbb67587327237bd015c57e81102.jpg
93718dffb143f0633d922145e52cdc76.jpg
e074180861219510a4b1a09b85a40ed0.jpg
Let me know which direction you end up going in and how it works. I was thinking about turning one of my media baskets into a fuge and was looking at lights.

If it was me I'd start with the cheaper one and if it works then cool. If not then I'd look into the chaetomax. I've read mixed reviews on it and it sounded like people liked the previous geberation magnafuge better.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know which direction you end up going in and how it works. I was thinking about turning one of my media baskets into a fuge and was looking at lights.

If it was me I'd start with the cheaper one and if it works then cool. If not then I'd look into the chaetomax. I've read mixed reviews on it and it sounded like people liked the previous geberation magnafuge better.
Right now I am using this. You can daily chain them and they make a blue red version now so I might just double up. It's been growing calurpa fine over the last few years. IM Fuge light just seems so expensive and low power.
a40c538afd19aed81eb66f052f3cf9a8.jpg

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some new corals. These are Mohawk Zoas. Should fit my tank plan to have "invasive" hardy corals and BTAs. I really want to fill the tank wall to wall with cheap and easy corals and these zoas fit the bill. Got them free from a member of my local reef club.
61852321a31a656990b703138398d86f.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back