Reefers! What is Your Profession?!

jonelder68

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 years in the Automotive Industry, last 10 have been on the wholesale side of auctions and inspections.

My company is completely online only, a virtual auction house for dealers....instead of taking cars to brick and mortar places, we show up do inspections, 56 photos, OBDII Scans, record the engine and do an undercarriage video, list all the damages and any mechanical or electrical issues and launch a live online only auction for dealers only right from their lot.
Jealous! Sounds like a super nice gig.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jealous! Sounds like a super nice gig.
Indeed it is, it's not without it's ups and downs though, but trust me...I started out detailing cars, worked my way up in the business, to paint prep and finish, to body work, R&I type type stuff...to parts sales to running my own chemical supply company (clear coats, sandpaper, tape etc...and here I am now 6 years into this company.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23 years in sales in the household goods moving and storage industry. My aquarium helps me to relax after dealing with stressed out families trying to plan their moves all day. Surprisingly, almost no fish tanks moved in all that time. Rarely run across one day to day while doing in home assessments.

Reef_Sea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ex-Military, currently about to start university for cyber security. The attention to detail I have brought with me from my time in has helped so far.

WillpoleReefers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vet, though with no specific knowledge of fish pathology. Also spare time engineering type interests including boating and electronics. Been involved in DIY plumbing and electrics for years.

All useful background. The biology is interesting. Running a tank is a little like running an anaesthetic. Dependence of a biological system on human management.

tgray9937

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am probably the the most uneventful person here. I am a retired stay at home mom. My kids are grown and now its time for my passion. You might call it a mid-life crisis. My super powers are worrying, praying, research, observation and problem solving ( in that order). I love collecting data and learning how to improve my tanks/ tank. The first two reef tanks were for practicing. I am on my third tank for mastery skills needed for tank setup. So far so good. I absolutely love aquabiomics labs, because I love supportive data. I went to school to become a medical technician working in a hospital lab. I absolutely feel in love with blood banking, matching peoples blood with donor blood and learning about genetics, antibody and DNA. This is the area I love about tanks, learning what goes on behind the appearance of a successful tank. I believe the startup is the foundation, building a good immune system in your tank. Once I get that mastered I will move on to lighting.

tgray9937

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Career #1A: high school IB biology and Enviro Sci teacher. This is my 5th year of teaching.

Career #1B: reef aquarium design, installation, and management company owner. 20 yrs in business, 30 yrs of work experience.

I haven’t had my own tank for over 20 yrs, but set up a 180 mixed reef in my classroom this year. It’s been fun. My work experience helps me because I have probably seen every possible thing that could ever happen in a reef tank, and have probably seen them at least 100 times.
So cool, I wish I would have had you as a teacher.

tgray9937

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost 30 years as a patent lawyer in bio-sciences. I love that there is so much to learn in reefkeeping. Problem is it promotes over-thinking.

It really does/ but I have embraced the over thinking process of tank management, so I don't annoy my family with asking if they have taken care of school, work, or house hold chores 50 million times a day. It is like my happy therapy, I worry and use up all my brain cells on the tank stuff that the little stuff fades away. I know it seems crazy, but especially for us women we overthink things anyway and have more anxiety disorders. But my fish tanks have helped me exercise my brain of all that crazy .

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unemployed: In high school.
Set my tank up about a year ago.
I spent months absorbing as much information as possible before I purchased my first tank, and even that was not enough to fully prepare myself. Though it definitely helped.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23 years in sales in the household goods moving and storage industry. My aquarium helps me to relax after dealing with stressed out families trying to plan their moves all day. Surprisingly, almost no fish tanks moved in all that time. Rarely run across one day to day while doing in home assessments.
Big Boy job, I worked for New World Van lines briefly in the early 90's. That's hard work!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back