ReefKeeper's Departure Hurts The Industry

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone use GHL Profilux Mini?

Yea I saw it but 500.00 does not sound entry..

Why do the new Apex systems look so ugly..

I agree. $500 is not entry level. The Apex Jr with the updated EB8... Wonder how that would work out for entry level?

According to the Marine Depot video, the only difference is they removed ORP and salinity monitoring from the head unit. Those must be some pretty high-end monitoring capabilities on ORP & salinity ;).

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Apex EL doesn't have 0-10v support? That basically makes controlling any 3rd party equipment null and void unless you buy the actual module, right?

What does 1-link do? Is that for Neptune products only?

eKoProCS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I get your reply. Their return period is only 7 days and returns are to be shipped back to China!

When was the last time you shipped a product back to China. I've bought staff from Amazon, Bulk Reef Supply, Marine Depot, DR F+S and countless others and I was never asked to ship stuff back to China.
If I take the risk and buy something cheap off of AliExpress, I accept the risk and dont ship stuff back if not as expected; I simply discard it; not an option with such expensive item.

You're saying that 7 days seems standard but in the next sentence you mention Amazon with 30 day policy. I guess it's same but different.

Bulk Reef Supply gives you 60 days and will take stuff back in original packaging up to a year. Now that's a business I support wholeheartedly.

Personally, I dont shop at stores with such short return policies, nor would I buy something at this point that would require me to ship something back to China (or other international locations) for either a refund or warranty purposes. From my experience with international shipping, it's a nightmare; your mileage may vary.

In Daymond's words...."I'm out"
Hello,

Perhaps our return policy wasn't clear enough, we will have somebody revise it, sorry about that. Just want to clarify that we ship out of our warehouse in LA, and all return/exchange will be ship back to our warehouse in LA as well.

eKoProCS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have a lot of information on the website yet. Is there an owners manual you can download. There is nothing on how the programming is done on this.

Sorry, we don't have a user manual. But ReefDudes on YouTube did a great job on showcasing the app and some controls.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This Apex EL doesn't have 0-10v support? That basically makes controlling any 3rd party equipment null and void unless you buy the actual module, right?

What does 1-link do? Is that for Neptune products only?

Right that was the worst thing they could have left off. Dimming is one of the most important things with most running leds. This will be discontinued just like the lite was.

There is a big market for the lower priced controller. The DA lite did well...
Light and temp control is need for allot of people like me.

When my build is done their will be around 20 tanks. 4 separate systems total 3 in my aquaculture and one display. I cant have all these on one controller.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like apex 2016 in a different shell. Why not just sell the apex 2016 with just the temp probe and the power bar? Wouldnt that be at around the same $500 price point? And upgrading easier.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cost of maintaining different molds and internals is expensive. This likely cuts their costs significantly. I’d be surprised if the internals were actually different. They likely just don’t populate the connectors.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
When my build is done their will be around 20 tanks. 4 separate systems total 3 in my aquaculture and one display. I cant have all these on one controller.

Oh You know it!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hello,

Perhaps our return policy wasn't clear enough, we will have somebody revise it, sorry about that. Just want to clarify that we ship out of our warehouse in LA, and all return/exchange will be ship back to our warehouse in LA as well.

If that's the case, someone should revise that info ASAP. While at it, consider lengthening your return windows to at least 14 days so its more palatable to your buyers. Just my .02

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The cost of maintaining different molds and internals is expensive. This likely cuts their costs significantly. I’d be surprised if the internals were actually different. They likely just don’t populate the connectors.

Thats likely the case. I just installed two controller boards on my APC Smart-UPSs and they were two different models; one with environmental probes (AP9631) and one without (AP9630). I put them side by side and they were same exact boards, the one without the monitoring just didn't have those ports and few chips soldered in on the circuit board. Faceplate was also solid to cover the holes in the bracket behind.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I am sure it is as with most products and this is also most likely the reason it is expensive too.... Someone who knows probably could add them back..

lawofficeaquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have a source for new pb8 and pb4 units? If not new, is anyone planning on selling any of their used pb8 or pb4 units when changing over to Apex or some other company?

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to make sure I have this correct, The only option for a basic controller like the RKL is now a $240 Apex Jr. ?

I have been reading all the posts on the new Apex EL and it really sounds like they don't see a need to bring the price down and offer more basic unit than the Jr? I disagree. I am definitely one who sees the need for a very simple 4-6 plug controller for heaters and fans and lights. I was looking at buying a RKL right as they became discontinued. I don't need that much more. I just want accurate control over a few simple things. From I have been reading, the reviews are mixed on most heater controllers out there like Inkbird and Finnex. I guess I am stuck with the apex Jr is the least expensive choice?

I totally agree with the idea that instead of buying light timers, a dedicated temp controller, quality power strips, etc.... it would be nice if it was all packaged and priced nicely with a quality temp probe. I would buy it!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So just to make sure I have this correct, The only option for a basic controller like the RKL is now a $240 Apex Jr. ?

I have been reading all the posts on the new Apex EL and it really sounds like they don't see a need to bring the price down and offer more basic unit than the Jr? I disagree. I am definitely one who sees the need for a very simple 4-6 plug controller for heaters and fans and lights. I was looking at buying a RKL right as they became discontinued. I don't need that much more. I just want accurate control over a few simple things. From I have been reading, the reviews are mixed on most heater controllers out there like Inkbird and Finnex. I guess I am stuck with the apex Jr is the least expensive choice?

I totally agree with the idea that instead of buying light timers, a dedicated temp controller, quality power strips, etc.... it would be nice if it was all packaged and priced nicely with a quality temp probe. I would buy it!

Right and some have stated this release may mean End of Life for Apex JR. and classic so they maybe in the same boat soon...

What I do not get is DA didn't tell anyone and their websites now gone. I know people knew about it I did several months ago.

What about software? is it packaged with the unit? Where to download it or firmware updates?

Bigzman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a hard time believing that this is Apex best introduction in the entry level side. It almost feels like they're just taking advantage of digital Aquatics downfall. For $500 I'd rather keep my archon and 8 Power Bars and go with a g h l and dk alk unit. I just set one up last week

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just saw the interview with Terence. Someone said that Neptune didn't care about DA going under but obviously he does he mentioned it several times as a reason to buy an Apex. Basically do not support these new companies because they could be gone tomorrow.. Well there was a time when Digital Aquatics was dominant like what Apex is. The market is fickle and can turn on a dime especially if there ends up being a problem. He also mentioned the demise of the classic and JR is in the near future.. One thing I didn't like it turned into a bash GHL session.. I just thought it was tacky and I only use a GHL doser.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 77 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%

Back