ReefKeeper's Departure Hurts The Industry

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I’m coming out WAY behind if my time is worth anything. However, I really enjoy programming and tinkering with electronics...

My point was more that I think open source solutions will be able to easily replicate proprietary ones given the tech community is much more larger than the reefing community. I’ve utilized a lot of free open-source libraries for charting, data storage, web interfaces, etc., which were incredibly easy to work with.

I think in a couple years you’re likely to see a bunch of APEX-like systems that you can just download and pair with off-the-shelf components and sensors. I actually think my system suits me better than an APEX as it’s finely tuned to keep alkalinity stable.
Building the system for a tank is part of the fun. It could be building your own controller, building your own stand and canopy, lighting or a combination. So the time spend for us who like doing this is all worth it.

jimsreef17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dynon Instruments has not closed down. They decided to drop the aquarium controller part of their business to concentrate on the avionics part of their business.

The pH and ORP probes can be purchased from other sources. The salinity probe can also be source elsewhere. I am looking into a source for the temp probes. The buss cables are six conductor flat cable with RJ12 connectors. As long as you modules are still good you should be good to go.

pH and ORP probes you can use generic probes or brands such as Pinpoint.

Salinity probe is A K1 conductivity probe. The one below I have and it is working without issue on my Archon. I did try it on an RKE also.

Apera Instruments AI1304 2301-C Conductivity Electrode (K=1), Range: 0.5 μS/cm to 200 mS/cm

Hi,
I have an Archon controller that I'm attempting to sell. How would someone go about setting it up, such as the web and programming? Can it still be used in this manner? Is there a download?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing to download. If it is up to date it should work without issue if it is in good condition. I do go through setting it up and some of the programming in my build thread. I am still using mine without any issues. The only thing it was accessing DA websites for was updates. Hope this helps.

Scott Campbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there something wrong with your Reefkeeper? If not then it should be good to go until something happens at which time you would have to make a choice on replacing it anyway. I am researching for a replacement for the temp probe. I found one door the salinity probe. I need to order some and test them in the system. It would not have the correct connector
But in the case of the iTemp it is easy to get a RJ12 connector and crimp it on. These are sold at most Home Depot or Lowes stores. The RKE version uses a micro-fit 3.0 connector if I remember correctly. It has been awhile since I ordered them.

What did you find that would work as a replacement salinity probe for the Reefkeeper? If you don't mind me asking.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is fantastic. Thank you!!!

I am currently using one on my Archon that I got from Amazon. I had purchased a DA probe a few weeks ago and it had the 2301-C on the box it came in. That is how I found it.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read through this post and felt compelled to throw in my two cents. I bought one of the original production run units of the RKE back in 2008. Within a few months, several of us were asked if we wanted to be beta testers for it as they tweaked the software and added new modules. We were also helping to come up with modules that should be produced. At the time, the Apex did not exist. I am sure it was in development, but was not even being hinted about by Neptune. The RKE represented a completely new way to lay out a control system. Having a modular system so you could put specific features right where you needed them. As an example, I helped push for the SW-5 module because I needed more switch inputs and wanted a relay for a part of my system in a remote sump room. It was a great idea and as the Apex was built around the same idea, it is apparently a good way to do it.

Digital Aquatics was started as a thesis project in electrical engineering with the RK1. The now owner of Dynon Avionics did this and his brother Scott saw a value to it and began making them and selling them. He then improved it with the RK2 and somewhere in there Digital Aquatics was born as a division of sorts of Dynon. Dynon did then and still has a huge market share in avionics equipment for small aircraft and apparently in that world are known to have exceptional products. Digital Aqautics pulled from the literal rocket scientists at Dynon to design and prototype the RKE system. The successful launch well prior to the launch of the Apex, went well for quite some time. Then...support from the Dynon side seemed to start waning a bit. Modules came out slower, software for easier programming (myReef) seemed to stall, and several annoying little glitches seemed to take forever to address. As a moderator on their support forum I was constantly dealing with complaints regarding the software. The controller was fine, but some people found it tough to program and wanted a computer solution. It never really got there 100%.

Eventually people came and went and once they hired Eric, it seemed like a new life was coming back. They released the Archon, which as pickupman66 mentioned, the Archon was again a very different approach to the controller. The biggest value to it was complete compatibility with all of the legacy modules, with the exception of the Net module, but that connectivity was built into the Archon so the Net module wasn't needed. Again, there were several of us that helped develop the Archon, beta tested it, kicked it, and pushed it every which way we could and ultimately it was released. I believe (but have no first hand knowledge of it) that further development was dependant on sales of the head unit. Only then would the company support further software tweaks and module upgrades. Ultimately the company seemed to decide that it was not a viable product line anymore and decided to get out of the controller business. In my honest opinion, since the Digital Aquatics side was never really a priority for the holder of the checkbook at the top, he didn't really care about how abruptly stopping production would effect the current users. It is unfortunate, but it happens.

If I had the money to do it, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy all of their existing inventory and intellectual rights to the product line and take it further. With the right support in technical development, sales, and support the Digital Aquatics products would be an excellent option to the other controllers out there. Who knows, maybe somebody with the proper resources will step up to generate more competition and all of us hobbyists will benefit from it. Competition is almost always good for the consumer.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just read through this post and felt compelled to throw in my two cents. I bought one of the original production run units of the RKE back in 2008. Within a few months, several of us were asked if we wanted to be beta testers for it as they tweaked the software and added new modules. We were also helping to come up with modules that should be produced. At the time, the Apex did not exist. I am sure it was in development, but was not even being hinted about by Neptune. The RKE represented a completely new way to lay out a control system. Having a modular system so you could put specific features right where you needed them. As an example, I helped push for the SW-5 module because I needed more switch inputs and wanted a relay for a part of my system in a remote sump room. It was a great idea and as the Apex was built around the same idea, it is apparently a good way to do it.

Digital Aquatics was started as a thesis project in electrical engineering with the RK1. The now owner of Dynon Avionics did this and his brother Scott saw a value to it and began making them and selling them. He then improved it with the RK2 and somewhere in there Digital Aquatics was born as a division of sorts of Dynon. Dynon did then and still has a huge market share in avionics equipment for small aircraft and apparently in that world are known to have exceptional products. Digital Aqautics pulled from the literal rocket scientists at Dynon to design and prototype the RKE system. The successful launch well prior to the launch of the Apex, went well for quite some time. Then...support from the Dynon side seemed to start waning a bit. Modules came out slower, software for easier programming (myReef) seemed to stall, and several annoying little glitches seemed to take forever to address. As a moderator on their support forum I was constantly dealing with complaints regarding the software. The controller was fine, but some people found it tough to program and wanted a computer solution. It never really got there 100%.

Eventually people came and went and once they hired Eric, it seemed like a new life was coming back. They released the Archon, which as pickupman66 mentioned, the Archon was again a very different approach to the controller. The biggest value to it was complete compatibility with all of the legacy modules, with the exception of the Net module, but that connectivity was built into the Archon so the Net module wasn't needed. Again, there were several of us that helped develop the Archon, beta tested it, kicked it, and pushed it every which way we could and ultimately it was released. I believe (but have no first hand knowledge of it) that further development was dependant on sales of the head unit. Only then would the company support further software tweaks and module upgrades. Ultimately the company seemed to decide that it was not a viable product line anymore and decided to get out of the controller business. In my honest opinion, since the Digital Aquatics side was never really a priority for the holder of the checkbook at the top, he didn't really care about how abruptly stopping production would effect the current users. It is unfortunate, but it happens.

If I had the money to do it, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy all of their existing inventory and intellectual rights to the product line and take it further. With the right support in technical development, sales, and support the Digital Aquatics products would be an excellent option to the other controllers out there. Who knows, maybe somebody with the proper resources will step up to generate more competition and all of us hobbyists will benefit from it. Competition is almost always good for the consumer.

Agreed.
Always liked their products.
Never jumped on the Archon but that was because it came out late and i had already purchased a upgrade to my lite.
Also I didn't think it would last because the company seemed to be neglecting the unit and not throwing enough resources behind it. If they had it would have been a different story. I would have purchased it.

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had purchased the reef keeper about 9 months ago and had issues from the beginning. I had reached out to their tech support were I was told no more updates, that I was pretty much up ***** creek. If I was unhappy with that call my retailer. So I contacted BRS, where they had me forward the email to them and refunded me my money" well, gave me store credit due to the fact I was going to just buy the Apex Classic. It was a blessing in disguise. I love the Apex, and after having both in my hands. The Apex is worth every penny.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Their products are not yet dead and still reliable and affordable as is dependable. Many still out there for sale and priced reasonably making them still desired and super easy to program.....support or not

Carlos915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say that so far mine is working ! its been running for 2 years with no issues. I have
the RKL With SL2,SLX & PC4 ,Probes are Temp , Ph,Orp, I also have the ATO running so far dependable with float switch as well, also the net module I can access on portal & I also have it connected via USB.3.0 15FT to a laptop so remotely I can access the laptop and control the tank that way . Only bad is NO email notifications currently working no matter what I throw at it.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These rarely if ever give any problems and holds a memory in the event of power outage. My best experience is the ease of setup and the reliability once it is set up

NoSurfnAZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i still need to find a bunch of accesories for my 2 systems. im looking for more power bars and etc. does anyone have the most surrent firmware and all that? I cant believe they didnt have a plan for that. someone has to have at least the firmware. Anyone?

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought my Reef Keeper about 7 years ago on special - can't recall from whom maybe Marine Depot- for $200.
Included the power bar SL1 module, temp and PH probe.
Happy to say it's still with me.
Has controlled my heater and dosing flawlessly.
Then about a year ago I added an ALC module to control and ramp my T5 retrofit. Again flawless.
So I'm sorry to see them go - but their product lives on.
Thought I'd give an update:
I purchased some Reefbrite Led's a couple of months ago, at Premium Aquatics, and after adapting the wiring, I was able to connect it to my ALC module, so now I have both my T5's and Reefbrites fully controlled by my Reefkeeper.
I doubt that any other controllers could do as much for so little.
I did have a scary moment a few weeks ago when it seemed my Reefkeeper died on me.
I did not relish the prospect of having to search for a new controller.
However, after some troubleshooting, I found that it was just my SL1 module (used for PH monitoring) that was the culprit. Once I removed it from the system, everything else worked fine. Figured losing PH monitoring was a small price to pay.
Ironically, I just purchased a Pinpoint PH Monitor/Probe to help validate the testing of some Alkalinity test kits.
If you're interested, here's the link:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lamotte-red-sea-salifert-alk-tests-evaluated.529932/

Bmezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i still need to find a bunch of accesories for my 2 systems. im looking for more power bars and etc. does anyone have the most surrent firmware and all that? I cant believe they didnt have a plan for that. someone has to have at least the firmware. Anyone?
Many people post reefkeeper components on ebay. check it out and put a watch on-- you will find stuff

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which modules do you need firmware for?

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still need to find a bunch of accessories for my 2 systems. I'm looking for more power bars and etc. does anyone have the most current firmware and all that? I can't believe they didn't have a plan for that. someone has to have at least the firmware. Anyone?
I purchased the reefkeeper around a year ago and contacted them about firmware updates and was told there would not be any, the guy that did their firmware was no longer with the company to either deal with it or return it to the company I made my purchase through. so I contacted BRS the company I purchased it through, and they took it back and I went with Apex. I really didn't have the apex in my budget but I knew, in the long run, I would be better off. I kind of figured there would eventually be issues. Sorry to see you going through this BS

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back