ReefLink dead

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Kzoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got up this morning and see no lights on ReefLink can’t connect, tried unplugging and resetting no luck.
Any idea’s ?

dalgibbard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got up this morning and see no lights on ReefLink can’t connect, tried unplugging and resetting no luck.
Any idea’s ?

Sorry to thread necro here, but it was the first post I found when searching for this fault. I had the exact same problem today with my Reeflink, bought about 2 weeks ago, 2nd hand on ebay- had been working fine up to this point.
A bit of digging around with a multimeter found that the large black IC on the Reeflink circuit was dead (supposed to take mains AC in and output 5v 0.8amps).
I ripped that IC out, and tested with 5v applied directly, and it boots up!
I've now ripped out the figure-8 power socket too (so no one tries to power it that way anymore), and I'm going to grab a USB-C breakout board and wire that direct to the 5v pins, to make it USB powered instead.

Hopefully someone finds this helpful in the future now these units are starting to age a bit :)

Picture below shows the IC removed, and 5v being applied directly instead.
Note: in my case the 5v pins were showing no resistance between them, so I don't think I could have left the IC in place! Your mileage may vary.

20200926_204048.jpg

dalgibbard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update for any weary travelers that find their way here. I've completed the USB conversion for the Reeflink now and it's working great. Full details on how to do this here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4610058

Ultimately quite a cheap fix (assuming you have or know someone with a 3D printer, and have a soldering iron I guess :) - about $6 for the USB board otherwise), and also means the unit runs much cooler than before, now that it's no longer needing to manage the mains-to-DC voltage conversion!

Staypuft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrection v2.0 - thanks for the info @dalgibbard, I have the same problem and separately came to the same conclusion about the AC to DC converter.
Additionally, in case anyone else finds they have this problem, there are two non-resetable fuses that feed the converter - on mine one has blown which I'd guess went when the converter blew. For reference, the converter and the fuses would cost around £40 ($45-50 USD) so the USB solution is awesome!! Thanks again..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back