ReefMat 500 will not setup, reset has two flashing LED

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I read several have had issues with the ReefMat setup, I can't seem to get the device to actually connect to begin setup. I can't even seem to get to the screen where it permits me to choose a network.

When I turn the device on, power is solid but both the status and wifi lights blink. I pressed both forward and backward to clear any jam and that seems to get the first light to go away. Keep in mind, I have never used the device once and its been in a box for at least a year. I held down the reset button for 15 seconds and once reset, powered the unit off and back on. The status lights return. I have attempted to connect to the device and can get an IP from it at 192.168.4.1 and I can see it's status when I am connected to it in the mobile browser, so it seems connected.

Has anyone had this issue before?

What did you do to resolve this?

OP
OP
OfficeReefer

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can connect in a browser and get the following

{
"success": true,
"message": "",
"ap_enabled": true,
"ap_ip": "192.168.4.1",
"wifi_enabled": false,
"wifi_ip": "",
"rtc_connected": true,
"flash_size": 16777216,
"free_heap": 73228,
"total_bytes": 0,
"used_bytes": 0,
"max_open_files": 0,
"max_path_length": 0,
"uptime": "D:000-H:00-m:08-s:04",
"reset_reason": "ESP_RST_POWERON",
"uuid": "24d7eb76537c",
"i2c_devices": []
}

OP
OP
OfficeReefer

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I solved my own issue. I knew the device had to be online as I could ping it and communicate directly through a browser. This is a result of older firmware and the drive unit being placed on the left, instead of the default right.

If you want to test this and are on an iOS device without another that is different enough of a version, both in app and OS, try downloading an Android emulator and the Reef Beat app in the Google Play store. I found when I did, I could connect and would get a new window that my iOS app was not showing me.

ReefBeat-ReefMat-on-AndroidEmu1.PNG

However, the device would not proceed, likely because it was calling a script to connect to initial wireless which is not present on an emulator. At this point, if you get this at all - your device works, don't give up.

I finally found an older iPad with an older version of the app. I reset the wireless settings again and used this older iPad and app. When I did, I was prompted for the same things in the Reef Beat app for new usage, such as allow for local networks (you must do this, don't miss this step and you can check it later in app settings, too). Once I did, I went and added a new device and followed the steps. It didn't work the first time but gave me almost an immediate connection error. I tried again and viola!

This same screen appeared and then went to a new screen, stating it was updating itself. It finally did that and asked me to reconnect. Once I did, the setup went normally and I could proceed with drive setup, roll set up, etc.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back