ReefMat

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome. Very innovative! I like that they made it easy to switch rolls and the media basket is a nice touch.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually looks good, and easy to use.

Unfortunately like most red sea products....

Over hyped, under delivered, and cost and arm and a leg.

I own all the different types of Red Sea products. The best!!
All are extremely effective and efficient! Worth every penny!!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a clue when this roller is actually going to come out?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a clue when this roller is actually going to come out?

Says Spring 2022 on the email I got. So probably in the Fall orso.

I would be interested to see how they compare size wise to other drop in roller mats. They look huge (Which a wider roll could be nice). But I'm not sure it would even fit in most sumps where someone would want it to go.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn it. I am going to have to order 1 in each size. More money. Always more money. I have 12 socks that are wearing out. I replace them in my 250l once a week and twice a week in the 900l.

How long will a roller mats last?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unfortunately that's probably a question very few could answer properly. Every tank is different which means every tank would use a different amount of filter in the same time span. You might be able to dig around here for other roller mat threads and see what they typically use.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn it. I am going to have to order 1 in each size. More money. Always more money. I have 12 socks that are wearing out. I replace them in my 250l once a week and twice a week in the 900l.

I installed these 3D printed 1/3 filter cups months ago and got rid of the filter socks on my RSR. Now I swap out a very small piece of filter floss every 5 days. Much, much simpler, cheaper, and quicker.

1640104096547.png

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed these 3D printed 1/3 filter cups months ago and got rid of the filter socks on my RSR. Now I swap out a very small piece of filter floss every 5 days. Much, much simpler, cheaper, and quicker.

1640104096547.png
That's an excellent idea. Just keep a bunch of precut floss pads around and boom!! 30 second job!

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks a lot like the ClariSea roller matt. I have the SK5000 (6"). Red Sea really improved on changing out the fiber rolls. I really like the Red Sea design in this aspect. Having the filter roller on ReefBeat mobile app is also great!

It appears the Red Sea does not have as versatile mounting options as ClariSea. Like the ClariSea, the RedSea can be on a stand or hung on the rim. However, the ClariSea hanger can accommodate 4 or 5 different heights as well as braced tanks (ie, 40 gal breeder). This is super helpful to put the filter as high as possible in the sump. Keeping the filter high will drastically save on roller media as there is a greater difference is pressure helping to push water through the fiber.

Lastly, the RedSea 6" filter roll is 115 feet in length for $30 whereas the ClariSea 6" filter roll is 131 feet for $34.

I really hope more sump manufactures cater for filter rollers and design sumps without filter socks. I've been using the ClariSea about 5 months now (almost through my second roll) and I will never use filter socks again.

muffinmanXL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks a lot like the ClariSea roller matt. I have the SK5000 (6"). Red Sea really improved on changing out the fiber rolls. I really like the Red Sea design in this aspect. Having the filter roller on ReefBeat mobile app is also great!

It appears the Red Sea does not have as versatile mounting options as ClariSea. Like the ClariSea, the RedSea can be on a stand or hung on the rim. However, the ClariSea hanger can accommodate 4 or 5 different heights as well as braced tanks (ie, 40 gal breeder). This is super helpful to put the filter as high as possible in the sump. Keeping the filter high will drastically save on roller media as there is a greater difference is pressure helping to push water through the fiber.

Lastly, the RedSea 6" filter roll is 115 feet in length for $30 whereas the ClariSea 6" filter roll is 131 feet for $34.

I really hope more sump manufactures cater for filter rollers and design sumps without filter socks. I've been using the ClariSea about 5 months now (almost through my second roll) and I will never use filter socks again.

1000% agree - wish more sumps came pre-configured/sized for roller mats vs. filter socks. I have a Reefer and am very much looking forward to what is (hopefully) a drop-in solution from Red Sea with minimal modifications

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back