OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard the hooded wrasses can be on the aggressive side, hopefully it's just chasing here and there and nothing more.

Yeah, we shall see. I've seen more that they are on the more aggressive side with other wrasses. Hopefully it's just chasing and that it will subside. If I notice anything more than that I may pull them. Fingers crossed it doesn't get to that.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always get a little concerned when its the new guy doing the bullying.

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always get a little concerned when its the new guy doing the bullying.

You and me both. The male is the biggest one in the tank, but I am definitely concerned. I hate bully fish. Everyone was so peaceful before so if it does continue they may unfortunately find a new home. :squigglemouth:

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys, it's gotten worse. Came home and the helfrichi somehow has ich (I know QT, but too late for that at this point). The hoodeds are also still being more aggressive than I would like and I'm not satisfied with the basslet's eating/lack there of (at least not aggressively). Being the rarest fish I own, he's #1 on my list. Looks like we might be taking the tank down for a complete clean and recycle. I'm looking in to getting a temporary QT/housing tank for the fish (basslet, helfrichi, clowns) and will find a new home for the hoodeds. I may put the corals with that too, but not sure what I'll be doing for treatment yet. Keep your eyes open for a post about QT tanks and quick setup. I may be looking for advice on that soon enough.

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well project redo begins today. Taking the whole tank down to start all over again (well sort of anyway). Looks like I will be trying to keep three fish (four if the goby is still alive) and the others will find new homes. We are going to clean out the tank (to eliminate flatworms) and then start all over and let the system run fallow for 10 weeks or so. In the meantime the fish will be spending their time in their nuvo condo that they bought yesterday. Wish me luck with the whole thing. I've had a bad feeling about this tank for whatever reason (ever since I scratched the acrylic during setup. Maybe this is a good new beginning.

rosko23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well project redo begins today. Taking the whole tank down to start all over again (well sort of anyway). Looks like I will be trying to keep three fish (four if the goby is still alive) and the others will find new homes. We are going to clean out the tank (to eliminate flatworms) and then start all over and let the system run fallow for 10 weeks or so. In the meantime the fish will be spending their time in their nuvo condo that they bought yesterday. Wish me luck with the whole thing. I've had a bad feeling about this tank for whatever reason (ever since I scratched the acrylic during setup. Maybe this is a good new beginning.

Good luck.. U know I will help with whatever u need. =)

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck.. U know I will help with whatever u need. =)

Thank you! Have a place to bring the fish I'm not keeping, so that concern is out of the way. Actually got a bigger tank for the hospital so that's good. Day moving slower than I was hoping so will be setting up the tank, but not sure it will be ready for the fish tonight. I have some Dr. Tim's and live rock to get it going. May hit you up about the Dr. Tim's. I'm so nervous about this tank being ready for the basslet.

rosko23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Have a place to bring the fish I'm not keeping, so that concern is out of the way. Actually got a bigger tank for the hospital so that's good. Day moving slower than I was hoping so will be setting up the tank, but not sure it will be ready for the fish tonight. I have some Dr. Tim's and live rock to get it going. May hit you up about the Dr. Tim's. I'm so nervous about this tank being ready for the basslet.

No prob

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chrissie I'm so sorry you have to go through all this, it's hard when it involves some of your favorite fish but I think your doing the right thing. What are your plans for treating the fish while your display sits fallow?

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chrissie I'm so sorry you have to go through all this, it's hard when it involves some of your favorite fish but I think your doing the right thing. What are your plans for treating the fish while your display sits fallow?

Thanks Brett. I'm actually hoping I won't have to. The fish getting moved are not showing any signs (yet) of ich. My hope is that they will be in QT less for treatment and more just to let the 45 sit. If I have to treat I haven't decided how yet. I'd be leaning toward hypo because Id hate to use meds, but I'm open to suggestions.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated, I've always assumed if one is infected they all are. My fire fish didn 't fair too well with copper. Hypo is probably your best course if you decide to treat. I've ran into a couple cases lately that we're completely resistant to copper anyways and had to use quinine sulphate. Quinine sulphate is great but my experience with it is limited, I haven't tried it too much on delicate fish like wrasses.

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the process has begun. Tank is down and new "hosptail" tank is just about ready for the Dr Tim's. Taking the wrasses and helfrichi to their new home now and the basslet and clowns are actually floating in my 39 to keep temperature. Fingers crossed the new tank will work out and that they will acclimate without any issues. Then we will begin cleaning everything out in the 45 and start the rebuild. May not get too far today, but that's where we stand.

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, a lot got done. I'll give a brief version of the whole story. First I removed all, but one piece of the rock. Even though puttied and glued, I was still able to get it apart fairly easily. Catching the first was much easier than I had hoped and was done in less than 20 minutes. I bagged everyone and the basslet and clowns were floating in the 39 to keep temp and so the hospital tank could stabilize as much as possible (temp was still a little low). The helfrichi and hoodeds were then taken to their new home. When I got home added the Dr. Tim's did a final okay check on water parems and since all was a go, added the the fish and corals after acclimating. Unfortunately, no sign of the white cap goby, my guess is he died awhile ago since we haven't seen him in weeks. So far everyone seems to be adjusting pretty well. The basslet hated being in the bag an was trying to jump out at every chance he got. Seems to have calmed down for the most part, but still getting used to his new home. Knock on wood, none of the first are showing signs of ich so that is awesome. Hoping that stays the same. Also watching the tank like a hawk. I'm still very nervous since this is my first time using the Dr. Tim's method. I usually wait 6-8 weeks before adding fish, not less than 24 hours :) I just know that there is still so much that can go wrong that it will be hard for me to feel comfortable for awhile.

As for the 45, the rebuild is at least being putting on hold for now. We had quite a few other things to do so the tank is half full and the rocks are in a bin waiting to be soaked in fresh. The goal will be to empty all the sand, soak all the rock in fresh, clean the tank and sump and then start it all over with building my rock. Probably will look just the same.

In the meantime, here's a bad iphone pic of the fish in their temporary new digs:
photo_zps4c28ebff.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everything pulls through just fine.

Thanks Marvin! I've had you on my mind this whole time. It is so hard to make fast decisions in this hobby. I now know how you felt when your tank leaked. While this is not nearly as bad, it was/is so stressful. I even further appreciate the idea of patience. Uncertainty is the worst and for the next few weeks I will be worrying about these fish nonstop. I almost went out and got a webcam for while I'm at work. Also have to say thankfully my tax refund is on the way. A new tank was not in the budget.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the really small load you"ll be fine just do water changes a little more than you normally would, feed on the lighter side and keep an eye on the ammonia. Best of luck, I hope everything does great for you.

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the really small load you"ll be fine just do water changes a little more than you normally would, feed on the lighter side and keep an eye on the ammonia. Best of luck, I hope everything does great for you.

Thanks Brett. That's the plan. I'm really glad I went with the 30 gallon tank over the 16. I do weekly water changes anyway, so with the Dr. Tim's in there I'll probably do a water change in week (as long as I see not crazy ammonia stuff). I only used a little over half the Dr. Tim's bottle and was told to add the rest in about 4 days. I also typically only feed once a day, so will just feed on the light side. I just have to make sure there aren't any "oopses" while I feed. I feel like I sometimes put a little too much in at a time. I have some tiny pipettes so I'm going to use those instead of my normal dumping in routine. That should keep me under control :)

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hang in there Chrissie. I'm still on the same boat and just taking it day by day.

OP
OP
ReefPops

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hang in there Chrissie. I'm still on the same boat and just taking it day by day.

Thanks Marvin! You too.

A quick update, clowns seems 100% fine so that's good. No signs of ich, stress, etc. Eating and fiesty. The basslet on the other hands seems to have a little ich and is uninterested in food. I'm a little concerned with that of course. Not treating at the moment, but definitely something I have to consider and fast. Tank has my corals in it so that's a concern as well. Have to admit, we are also considering a complete takedown of the tank. So the 45 thread could be coming to a close soon :(

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back