ReefSentinel’s 200g Mini Barrier Reef build.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update,
At the moment nothing really happening, sump ordered and currently in the line the start.
Tank, again in line to start building soon.
Cabinet, just starting now.
Equipment, shopping around for best pricing.

Dry rock cycling "fishless" Ammonia is low 0.10, Nitrite above 5 still, been reading about high nitrites, not sure what to do at the moment.
Nitrate sitting around 20, hasn't really moved much.

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice work i’m planning a similar tank in Sydney. my tank and cabinet took nearly 10 weeks from planning to now complete and ready. i ended up with a glass sump and neptune Apex EL i just couldn’t justify full neptune prices and acrylic sump!

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice work i’m planning a similar tank in Sydney. my tank and cabinet took nearly 10 weeks from planning to now complete and ready. i ended up with a glass sump and neptune Apex EL i just couldn’t justify full neptune prices and acrylic sump!
Thanks,
I hope your build is going well, Did you get a custom tank built, if so who did you use in Sydney?
Justifying the pricing isn’t easy, specially when I thought I did a reasonable budget but there is so many unexpected costs
Hopefully the serenity at the end of its worth it.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Small update but it feels big to me as I have been looking at the sames results for the 2months.
Cycling of dry rock is ( i think) complete;Happy.
Last 2 months the Nitrite has been measuring 5+ and over night it changed from purple result to light blue which is 0ppm.
Checked 3 times as I thought the drop count was wrong.

Seems simple however I was starting to get a little concerned on what to do next but now all good, very happy that the process using the prawn work out, it took a total of 4mths however the dry was completely dry (out of water for 12mths plus).
A little amazed on how it goes from 1 result to another over 24hrs.
Just need the everything else, which is all on its way.
Cycle Process 4-7-20.JPG

Cycle Process results 4-7-20.jpg

Not sure if its my eyes or not but there seems to be Coralline Algae growth on places, some place very light purple.
There was some very small dry Coralline Algae on the rock originally however as mentioned this dry had been dry for 12mths +, I wasn't sure if the coralline algae would survive being dry or not.
Cycle Process 4-7-20-2.JPG

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Updates have been a little slow as I wait for items to be built however thought I would update what I can.

Invert QT up and running, it's only small but figure it will be ok for whats going it in, going with the 76 day QT cycle for Inverts, it's going to be long but trying to stick to doing everything right.
Check system this week, should have some invert's this coming weekend (hopefully)

QT  - Inverts 1 (1).jpg
QT  - Inverts 1 (4).jpg

Tank Frame very much just steel but the guys will start work soon.
IMG_9495.JPG

Wayne Younie 1.jpg

Side cabinet beach top also slowing coming along. (Timber Spotted Gum - Hardwood)

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First live stock shop today, purchase a few CUC members, all now hanging up in QT tank for next 76 days.
10 x Trochus Snails
3 x Nassarius Snails
3 x Mini Hermit Crabs
2 x Peppermint Shrimp
IMG_9508.jpg
IMG_9519.jpg
IMG_9518.jpg

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Sorry been a bit quiet on the progress for the past 2 weeks.
Tank is still being built, Steel frame is building built at my work however we are busy so my job has been pushed to the side a little.
Cabinetry is going well, all finish, Canopy finished, Steel frame skins panels finished, side cabinet finished, just doing a dry run install, then need to cut out holes for power, internet etc.
Should be picking up hardwood bench top this week.

Equipment side of things is a little sad, COVID is make national stock of a lot of items hard to find, have been told end of August for Apex gear :mad:

IMG_9534.JPG

IMG_9533.JPG

Sorry Canopy is opposite down.
IMG_9537.JPG
IMG_9538.JPG
IMG_9542.JPG

started today no the chiller vent which will go through the timber & external brick wall.
IMG_9544.JPG
IMG_9545.JPG

IMG_9535.JPG

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, quick update on items
Planned to get a bit done this weekend so see how everything goes, collecting some per-orders items, should be fun.
COVID still causing issues with stock of items in Australia but can't do much about it expect use the time to think ahead and plan (double check plan anyway)
QT tank for inverts going well, no deaths so fingers crossed everything goes well.
Frame stand is coming along nicely, a few pic's below.
IMG_9573.JPG
IMG_9575.JPG
IMG_9577.JPG

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expensive day at the shops today but have something to show for it, can’t use it at the moment but needed items to finish some of the cabinetry cutouts.
- Lights ☑️, 3 x Ecotech Radion XR30 Pro
- Refugium light ☑️, 1 x AI Prime
- Chiller ☑️, TECO TK2000
- UV steriliser ☑️, Aqua Twist 26watt
- Neptune FMK & PM2 modules☑️

Had a little time to work on the electrical cutouts for power, Cat5(router) and tv antenna.

F4B7EBEB-0BC4-47DF-B5DF-BDD4ED5EC819.jpeg D9A29748-6FB4-4531-B008-611AC7ABDE00.jpeg

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for this week,
Tank frame fabrication is finished, off to powder coating next week.
0F6B670A-1189-43FF-8F34-B9F6010A6666.jpeg
D36F920E-B062-4BCC-9B37-E3D88ADBCFFE.jpeg

Side cabinet is almost complete,
Cabinetry in and hardwood bench all oiled, just needs to be screwed in which will be done one the tv bracket has been mounted.
B8A1F9F1-2C32-4158-8440-C7AEA6C22DDE.jpeg

Equipment wise, still awaiting on some apex gear and skimmer to arrive.
5263CD71-2D4C-4A4B-BEA9-48BDB411FD9B.jpeg

Unfortunately the process has dragged out a little to original plan however it has given me time to re-think a few things.
Looking at the Aqua UV twist steriliser, just wondering about the mounting brackets that come with, I understand how to mount it but just wondering how to fitted the mounting bracket to the cabinet/frame.
Do most people put a screw me the slot show.
572EF2A5-6015-4034-9AE3-95C6B60566B3.jpeg

5D8EBC77-0E10-4CA8-8FDA-3AEA0DA7063D.jpeg

I may post a question on the forum and see how other reefers have used this mounting bracket.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very cool build!
Thanks BeltedCoyote, hopefully it will all turns out ok, it’s moving along a little slower than planned but between delays and family sport starting up again the delay has given me time to think about things had helped.
Rock is all ready to go just sitting there maturing so I know can only help, small set of clean up crew are due out of 78 day quarantine on the start of October so this will hopefully line up with everything else.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really tank build related but i guess its part of the journey.
Have notice one of the peppermint shrimps are a little bit more green then normal, or normal to me.
I have noticed that after feeding nori that you can see a bit of green in them however 1 of them has green under it's tail.
After a little research I believe the shrimp has entered a state called "berried" - she's carrying eggs under her tail.

I don't think any will survive but good to know it is happy (i think)
IMG_9664.JPG

IMG_9662.JPG

Last edited:

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an amazing build come along. I really excited to see how all the automation is going to work. I also plan on having a lot of automation with my tank. I love your idea of the push-button remote. My only problem are my kids, I can see my 6-year-old son loving to push those buttons all the time. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an amazing build come along. I really excited to see how all the automation is going to work. I also plan on having a lot of automation with my tank. I love your idea of the push-button remote. My only problem are my kids, I can see my 6-year-old son loving to push those buttons all the time. Thanks for sharing.
Thank mattgsa
Things are moving slowly but moving, hopefully everything works out to plan.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to look fantastic when finished! Good job sir!
My build is on hold until end of year, so I live vicariously through everyone else here. Thank you for all the details of your build.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.8%
Back