ReefSentinel’s 200g Mini Barrier Reef build.

reefpizza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing build! Follow

Go On Popcorn GIF by swerk

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, having trying to make the most of the delay.
There is always something i see and think i can add this or modify this so is working out ok but wife doesn't have the same patients as inside doesn't look the best at thew moment.
I feel you on the Wife front. I've got a less than attractive temporary tank setup in our dinning room while I wait on our new 270g tank to show up and get setup.

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT tank is going well, still can't do too much to it as I am awaiting 1-2 more fish before I start the progress, have recently added a bicolor blenny, hoping it will leave corals alone when the time comes.
IMG_0224.JPG
I’d watch out for that bicolor. I had a bicolor and a really awesome toxic hammer, and just over night he destroyed all 3 heads. Only reason I know it was him is because I’ve caught him nipping at the polyps, I like to sit in front of the tank for a few hours a day lol, and I’ve had to put him in “time out” or in QT for a few weeks. I reintroduced him back into the DT and that’s when the hammer was no more.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d watch out for that bicolor. I had a bicolor and a really awesome toxic hammer, and just over night he destroyed all 3 heads. Only reason I know it was him is because I’ve caught him nipping at the polyps, I like to sit in front of the tank for a few hours a day lol, and I’ve had to put him in “time out” or in QT for a few weeks. I reintroduced him back into the DT and that’s when the hammer was no more.
Thanks for your advise on the bicolor, much appreciated.
I actually done little research on before buying and didn’t really find much about them picking at coral and then once brought (of course) a neighour advised they had a similar issue to you so I am in two minds whether to keep it or not.
Love the look of the fish and it’s personally so far but don’t really wait to try to catch it once in the large tank.

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your advise on the bicolor, much appreciated.
I actually done little research on before buying and didn’t really find much about them picking at coral and then once brought (of course) a neighour advised they had a similar issue to you so I am in two minds whether to keep it or not.
Love the look of the fish and it’s personally so far but don’t really wait to try to catch it once in the large tank.
A personality they do have. I would put my finger up to the glass and he’d come out his cave to try and bite where my finger is. Yeah catching him was no joke. I have a IM Nuvo30L and he was hell to catch. I can imaging once he’s in such a big tank. I hope you have better luck then we did. Can’t wait to see how the rest turns out once you get the front glass in.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekend update time,
Busy weekend with kids sports but have a few things ticked off the list.

- Tank while new panel due to be fitted next week :)

Received my 125ft Long USB Cable for Apex during the week so i have connect the extra power board up in the garage & ran cable to apex.
IMG_0223.JPG

Received a Amazon order of Momentary Push buttons, thought I would use these to control Feed Mode, Maintenance & a shut down button rather then using a iPad/phone.
Note you need a power supply to run the power side of things and then use the common & either the NO or NC connection for the BOB.

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG
IMG_0302.JPG

FYI, a lot of additional wires, power & BOB wires for each switch.
IMG_0298.JPG

A few weeks ago I watch Deven from REEFDUDES install a emergency LED light strip witch ran off the apex, as I have the same port is available I thought - WHY NOT so Red LED strip was ordered and received last week.
I was considering putting the LED strip behind the TV (next to the tank) or under the kick board of the cabinet next to the tank, after lookign it for a few days I thought the best location would be under the side cabinet bench lip, this is the section that comes hangs over the cabinet doors approx. 25mm / 1", as the doors at white I think its going to turn out better than expected, i don't have the Apex 24DV cable as yet so no picture of the lights in action.
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_0301.JPG

Live stock updates,
- All shrimps and crabs are going well.
- Yellow Wrasse decided to jump out, as I read so many times if you have a small gap on the tank cover they seem to find the gap to jump out, unfortunately I was a little late to save it ;Sorry RIP.

- I have had my eye open for a small Yellow Eye Kole tang for some time now, which I thought I wouldn't see one again due to the Hawaiian ban however the opportunity came up at the LFS so I grabbed it.
Done a fresh water dip following the instructions as per Humblefish's, everything when well as per instructions however the Kole tang didn't seem very happy afterwards, just hides at the first sight of me now.
These were the best pics I could get with the phone around the corner trick.

IMG_0284.JPG

- Also purchased a Fighting Conch, once DT is up the Peppermint shrimps and snails will move up of small QT tank, then I will transfer the redline shrimp & Fighting Conch to the small Qt tank and start the copper treatment on the fish, hoping to pickup 2 clown fish before starting.
IMG_0299.JPG

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Weeks update so far.
Tank builder has been out and replaced the front glass panel, :) how he needs to return to clean up tank then we wait for it to cure / water test then back inside.
IMG_0327.JPG

QT side of things had small changes.
I purchased a small purple tang during the week, so far so good, Kole tang is still very timid, it seems to eat and swim ok when out just gets frightened easily.
Bicolor Blenny is nowhere to be found, hadn't seen for a day or two so I moved everything around and couldn't find it anywhere, not sure if it made it way in the filter section of the tank as I can't really see directly in there.
IMG_0309.JPG
IMG_0310.JPG IMG_0312.JPG

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update,
Powered up the Apex today and starting looking around at the future of programming I have to do, another learning experience which is part of the journey.
As we all do skip the setup and go straight to the play stuff which was to test the “Error” alarm LED strip I installed that is powered by the 1Link 24VDC.
The pictures are during today so night all be more red, I think the affect should get attention.
8AF1849D-C352-47A5-B31B-D18BD5FF5CEB.jpeg
9405C580-03CF-457F-9940-71BB000CB907.jpeg

I think the side project was worth doing.

ks525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there reefsentinel, I’m really enjoying your build! You’re doing an amazing job with your planning and execution.

I saw you mention using a usb cable out to your garage. I think the aquabus cables are somehow different. Just thought I’d mention this excerpt I had seen when I had thought to use one myself:

AQUABUS CABLES​

WHAT ARE THEY?​

Aquabus is the communication link between your Apex and most of our modules. The cable itself looks just like a USB cable, but it is not to be confused with a USB cable. Connecting a computer or USB accessory, like your phone, to the Aquabus will likely result in damage to that accessory and possibly to the Apex.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there reefsentinel, I’m really enjoying your build! You’re doing an amazing job with your planning and execution.

I saw you mention using a usb cable out to your garage. I think the aquabus cables are somehow different. Just thought I’d mention this excerpt I had seen when I had thought to use one myself:

AQUABUS CABLES​

WHAT ARE THEY?​

Aquabus is the communication link between your Apex and most of our modules. The cable itself looks just like a USB cable, but it is not to be confused with a USB cable. Connecting a computer or USB accessory, like your phone, to the Aquabus will likely result in damage to that accessory and possibly to the Apex.
Hi ks525
Thanks for the comments,
Sorry wrong use of words, I did us a aquabus cable from USBFirewire.

Thanks for the pickup just in case anyone thought you could use a standard USB cable.

If anyone interested i purchased from the following.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AQUABUS CABLES​

WHAT ARE THEY?​

Hi ks525
Thanks for the comments,
Sorry wrong use of words, I did us a aquabus cable from USBFirewire.

Thanks for the pickup just in case anyone thought you could use a standard USB cable.

If anyone interested i purchased from the following.

Not to muddy the water or hijack the thread, but Aquabus cables and USB cables use the exact same materials and pinouts. You can buy a standard USB and use it for an Aquabus cable. What you can not do is plug a USB device into that cable while it is connected to any Apex gear.

The only thing you have to be concerned with when buying a USB cable to use as an Aquabus cable is when you are buying really long cables. Some USB cables will have a repeater in them to help transmit the data down the long cable. You can't use one of these repeated cables with the Apex.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that will at least show me the specs on it and I can find one on my side of the pond. I'm now thinking about adding a white LED strip in addition to the red if I can figure out the coding for it. The white LED would come on when I have something scheduled in Apex. I'm not sure if that is possible since reminders do not generate notifications. But it would be nice to visually see that I needed to do some schedule work on the tank if I don't have the Apex app open on my phone or computer.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that will at least show me the specs on it and I can find one on my side of the pond. I'm now thinking about adding a white LED strip in addition to the red if I can figure out the coding for it. The white LED would come on when I have something scheduled in Apex. I'm not sure if that is possible since reminders do not generate notifications. But it would be nice to visually see that I needed to do some schedule work on the tank if I don't have the Apex app open on my phone or computer.
Sounds like a good idea, if you figure out the coding please let me know.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to muddy the water or hijack the thread, but Aquabus cables and USB cables use the exact same materials and pinouts. You can buy a standard USB and use it for an Aquabus cable. What you can not do is plug a USB device into that cable while it is connected to any Apex gear.

The only thing you have to be concerned with when buying a USB cable to use as an Aquabus cable is when you are buying really long cables. Some USB cables will have a repeater in them to help transmit the data down the long cable. You can't use one of these repeated cables with the Apex.
Hi Oberst Hajj

Thanks for the explanation on the USB cables, it can get confusing at times when people at first setting their Apex up & run short on a cable.

I will add that my dealings with USBfirewire was excellent with fast delivery considering the USA to Australia purchase, i think it was only 4-5 days until i had it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back