REEFSICLE Automatic frozen food dispenser...

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by revhtree, Apr 12, 2019.

?
  1. Yes

453 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. Not really

261 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2019 Cyber Monday Sponsor R2R Secret Santa Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

My good buddy Hernando Rocha recently posted about this item he picked up from RAP Orlando and said it was ok if I shared. This is what he said.

Picked up a new gadget for the tank at Reefapalooza Orlando.REEFSICLE Automatic frozen food dispenser. Its a slow release of frozen food that allows fish to graze for up to 8hrs with a single serving. The directions called for RO water as the liquid but I'm trying Reef Nutrition liquid foods on one tray and RO on the other tray...... I mounted the cup on the sump and the return pump will shoot the food in to the tank.......I can see using the cup when I'm out of town and the popsicles takes the food prepping or food amount guessing game out of the equation, all my tank sitter has to do is to take the frozen silicone cup and a popsicle out of the freezer and drop it in to the Reefsicle and walk away.... lets see if it works.

What do you guys think about it and are you willing to give it a try?

56890441_10157114896282692_4267642937401147392_n.jpg
    56764489_10157114896222692_324443349958262784_n.jpg

2. ajhudson15

ajhudson15 Well-Known Member Partner Member 2019

love the idea, however the only problem I see is if you have more than a few fish the food will thaw out slow and may only make it to where one or two fish are quicker than the others to get the food.

MnFish1, CoralNerd, rstrann and 5 others like this.
  3. SPR1968

SPR1968 Fish & Coral Addict! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 R2R Secret Santa UK Reef Club Member Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

To be honest, I can’t really see the need for this as it stands at the moment. Yes it might be helpful for feeding frozen food to some fish like maybe anthias, but mine will eat dry pellets from an auto feeder like Apex. This gets filled about once every 6 weeks so fully covers any holiday periods and will do multiple feedings if needed.

If they can add a mini freezer to keep it frozen for a few weeks, then they would be onto a winner, and I would buy one straight away, but my initial thoughts are it’s just another gadget.

Just my personal thoughts but I’m interested in what everyone else thinks.

4. MaiReef

MaiReef Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Attach it to a mini freezer that I can keep by my sump and I am in

5. saltyhog

saltyhog blowing bubbles somewhere R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019

I have marks on my sump for the correct water level.....but not quite like Hernando does! :D

6. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor

Right this was introduced at The San Diego Macna.:)

7. Radman73

Radman73 Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I have one and have used it sparingly. The food tends to come out rather slowly making for increased competition and aggression IME. Best used with a dry auto feeder or other daily feedings IMO. I don't regret the purchase.

8. Breadman03

Breadman03 Valuable Member Catskill Reef Member

No skim, right! :D

9. ScooterV

ScooterV Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

LOL, I love the sump level labels!

10. SDK

SDK Reef Diver R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

As others have mentioned, the addition of a power cord would add two important options. Both would make me much more likely to whip out the credit card.

I'm super busy weekdays and love things like my ATO that just need weekend attention. It would be much more interesting to me if I only had to load it once a week.

It would then function as a vacation feeder, which would greatly add to it's usefulness.

As it stands now, it's a near miss for me. I hope he continues to develop it though...

SPR1968, norfolkgarden and KrisReef like this.
  11. KrisReef

KrisReef Valuable Member

I am leaving for vacation today and would be interested if it could handle cubes for 8 days.

12. Hemmdog

Hemmdog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Big miss

SPR1968 and mike werner like this.
  13. Rpc07

Rpc07 Active Member

Does anyone interact with their tanks any more? Lol

Jase4224, Hemmdog, SPR1968 and 3 others like this.
  14. Reefiness

Reefiness Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I would definitely love something that somehow let you auto feed frozen foods. These though, isnt really what I would want. I would call this more of a slow or extended feeder rather than an automatic feeder. I want something I can stock maybe once a week and it feeds frozen... unfortunately that would basically require a dippin dots vending machine so how built into my canopy. haha.

I do love the labels on the sump though. I had a good laugh. Just need to add a label out side of the sump on the floor that reads "She's going to kill me"

pcon, Hemmdog, SPR1968 and 1 other person like this.
  15. norfolkgarden

norfolkgarden Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019

Aww, I got excited for a minute.

Not the weekly frozen feeder I was expecting from the name.
    :-(

Nice idea, bur not the 'turnkey' solution I was looking for.
    :-/

16. LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson Well-Known Member R2R Supporter AZ FRAG Member Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

My thoughts exactly. If it had some freezing technology that could dispense the food over the course of weeks when I leave my tank for vacation then I would find it more useful, otherwise, I'm around enough that I'd prefer to feed my tank by hand. Also, with all due respect to the product, as I haven't used it, I'm skeptical of all the cubes of food touching one another. I wonder if the feeder works in a way that prevents multiple cubes from sticking together and accidentally overdosing.

Hemmdog, SPR1968 and norfolkgarden like this.
  17. rstrann

rstrann Active Member

The fast\aggressive fish will be the only ones getting fed. Sorry, this is a no-go.

SPR1968 and norfolkgarden like this.
  18. Steve Fast

Steve Fast Member

have one, love it. works great... specially good when i'm out of town and someone else has to take care of my tank.

19. norfolkgarden

norfolkgarden Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019

Cool! What fish do you have?

SPR1968 likes this.
  20. Rich Klein

Rich Klein Active Member R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award

I go on vacations to make my wife happy. I'm as happy as can be at home with my dog, and yes.. my tank. That being said, the more redundancy and automation to help my tank survive for the week the better.

norfolkgarden, Hemmdog and SPR1968 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted