ReefWave 25 gyre - Low flow in forward direction

Sortega

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I just setup a reefwave 25 gyre in my tank. When I started to adjust the flow I noticed that I have low flow in the forward direction (arrow pointing left on the control box) and normal flow coming out the reverse direction only (arrow pointing to the right on the control box). In looking at the manual, this exact situation is described in the troubleshooting questions. The fix states the following: "The impeller and/or cages have been assembled back to front". To be honest I have no idea what that means. It seems like this should be straight forward, I lined up the colors and for starters left the letters on the cages lined up with the center of the motor where it says "ReefWave". Essentially I left it exactly how I received it in the box.

Anybody else have any experience with this?

OP
OP
Sortega

Sortega

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that I would leave this here just in case anybody else was searching on this topic.

First I talked with Red Sea and I got confirmation of the following.

1) Arrow to the right (on the controller) is the forward direction. Arrow on the left is the reverse direction.
2) By design the reverse direction is significantly lower than the forward direction.

I personally barely notice the flow in the reverse direction in reference to the forward direction.

I still like this gyre. Just for anybody thinking about purchasing this, note that the forward and reverse directions are no where near the same in regards to strength.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has this pump been otherwise? I’m considering adding one to a 40B that has a Nero 5 at the opposite end

Last edited:

stevem650

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed 2 Redsea wave 45 on my 750 Reefer. Using ReefBeat app. Dead silent, great flow and programming is user friendly. Only installed 2 days ago and so far very happy with them and would recommend.

OP
OP
Sortega

Sortega

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the ReefWave 25 installed on my red sea reefer 170 for about a week now. I definitely like the flow. I only use the manual controller and actually like the effect of using the alternating flow direction pattern. Essentially what I get is a nice current created (I have the forward direction set essentially at the lowest speed) then when it switches to the reverse direction the entire tank calms for a bit (even on the max setting of the reverse direction). I personally like the ebbing effect and the corals seem to like it too.

So all in all no complaints. I just wanted to put it out there that the reverse direction of flow is not even close to the power of the forward direction. Just so that nobody is surprised when a single gyre isn't drastically switching the flow direction.

I was running two mp10s before and I am quite happy with the change. I personally was having issues with the wetsides failing on me. I haven't had the gyre long enough to make an apples to apples comparison in regards to longevity.

But if I am only looking at the flow, I personally prefer one ReefWave 25 over two mp10s in my RSF170 tank.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the ReefWave 25 installed on my red sea reefer 170 for about a week now. I definitely like the flow.

How's your ReefWave 25 doing, are you happy with it?

Thank you

OP
OP
Sortega

Sortega

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your ReefWave 25 doing, are you happy with it?

Thank you
I am quite happy with it. Great flow, easy to use controller, dead silent. Again I haven't had it long enough to comment on reliability. But so far I am very happy, no regrets.

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering your mounting spot and angle. I am setting up a 170 with this pump and was thinking of mounting vertically on back corner of the tank.

OP
OP
Sortega

Sortega

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering your mounting spot and angle. I am setting up a 170 with this pump and was thinking of mounting vertically on back corner of the tank.
In my RSF 170 I have it mounted on the right side glass. I am using an automatic feeder so I actually use the gyre to spread the food across the tank surface.
I also found the flow to be a bit strong. So I am using the RSF nozzle to locline adapter and have a flare nozzle pointed right at the gyre to help dampen the flow a bit.
I am not sure how well the gyre will work in the corner. The overflow box might cause some ubstruction. But let me know how that works, I'm curious.

Jwjohns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tossed a reefwave 25 in my hexagon and loving it so far. About midway up the back, horizontally mounted. Nice flow on the random and surface wave settings.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tossed a reefwave 25 in my hexagon and loving it so far. About midway up the back, horizontally mounted. Nice flow on the random and surface wave settings.

I'm on random too / forward at 100% for five mins then backwards at 100% for 2 min.

Going to cut the forward flow back to 90%, and the app is super nice.

Jwjohns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely try out the surface wave mode too. You can get a nice little ebb/flow depending on your timing and power vs your tank size/shape. It's working much better than expected considering I'm using a hexagon.

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set mine up vertically in a corner and aimed the two sides slightly differently so that they act as multiple broad power heads and it works great. Turned forward down to 50% max cause it will move sand around the front corners when higher. Only because i turned it down and my rock work kinda creates a high and low flow division set up this way, i added a small power head with random flow on the other corner to keep things random. Wouldn't really need the second one if i could turn the gyre up higher with coarser sand.
IMG_20200630_111947.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to check in and see how everyone is enjoying their reefwave 25s? I bought a max 170 and was thinking of putting 1 reefwave 25 in.

My ReefWave has done very well and the free ReefBeat app is super nice, with better functionality than it's controller box.

Might add the RW-45 down the road.

OP
OP
Sortega

Sortega

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to check in and see how everyone is enjoying their reefwave 25s? I bought a max 170 and was thinking of putting 1 reefwave 25 in.
I absolutely love the reefwave 25. I'm running two of them in my RSF 170. To be honest I had all kinds of problems with the reefbeat app at the beginning (I bought them at launch). But now it seems to be much better.

The controller aside the flow is great. With two, you can do cool things like shifting the turbulent section of the flow from left to right in your tank.

It's pretty cool to see.

Blondie Fragz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love the reefwave 25. I'm running two of them in my RSF 170. To be honest I had all kinds of problems with the reefbeat app at the beginning (I bought them at launch). But now it seems to be much better.

The controller aside the flow is great. With two, you can do cool things like shifting the turbulent section of the flow from left to right in your tank.

It's pretty cool to see.
Sorry I know this is an old post but… I LOVE my 45s but I am curious if anyone can explain to me exactly what “reverse” means. Does it pull the water in? And where does it come out?! I’m having a hard time feeling it at all.

Nurse.Reef.Reapeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's pretty cool to see.
got pictures of how you set it up? i have 2 mp10 on my Red Sea Reefer Nano but there are times PE are not moving on my sps frags. would love to have more movement.

BFolker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the ReefWave 25 installed on my red sea reefer 170 for about a week now. I definitely like the flow. I only use the manual controller and actually like the effect of using the alternating flow direction pattern. Essentially what I get is a nice current created (I have the forward direction set essentially at the lowest speed) then when it switches to the reverse direction the entire tank calms for a bit (even on the max setting of the reverse direction). I personally like the ebbing effect and the corals seem to like it too.

So all in all no complaints. I just wanted to put it out there that the reverse direction of flow is not even close to the power of the forward direction. Just so that nobody is surprised when a single gyre isn't drastically switching the flow direction.

I was running two mp10s before and I am quite happy with the change. I personally was having issues with the wetsides failing on me. I haven't had the gyre long enough to make an apples to apples comparison in regards to longevity.

But if I am only looking at the flow, I personally prefer one ReefWave 25 over two mp10s in my RSF170 tank.
I saw that you also had trouble with the mp10's wetside and wanted to comment. I had purchased my Reef wave 25 3 months ago after fighting for over a month to get the ecotech mp10 to work. Sent it in 3 times too and still didn't work. No offense to the company, but it was a waste of $350.

However, I have the Reef wave 25 on a 20 long mixed reef and cannot be happier with the switch. Maintenance is extremely easy to clean the impellers and motor. The gyre effect is amazing and I love the waving pulse it gives. I highly recommend them even if you don't use the app. They can also sync to other Reef wave's or you can disable the function.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back