Refractometer Won't Stay Calibrated

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just calibrated my refractometer with pinpoint solution.

I go to measure the salinity in my tank, then check the calibration solution again, and it's already dipped down some, no longer accurate.

Is there something that I can do to "tighten" calibration so it won't drift off so quickly?

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what causes that. Mine does that too. Sometimes it stays for a week. Sometimes I calibrate before and after use. I have a "cheaper" one so I thought it was because of that.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what causes that. Mine does that too. Sometimes it stays for a week. Sometimes I calibrate before and after use. I have a "cheaper" one so I thought it was because of that.

Ya mine is the one from marine depot. Has excellent ratings, too. Not terribly expensive but on the lower range cost wise of hobbyist grade refractometers.

I e-mailed marine depot, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll send a new one.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty common actually. I dont trust those garbage refracts one bit..

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is your calibration solution new? I get that also with my MD refract, until I used RODI water to calibrate, its been the same since (I get same reading as my hydrometer). The problem in my case is the calibration solution, not the refractometer.

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is your calibration solution new? I get that also with my MD refract, until I used RODI water to calibrate, its been the same since (I get same reading as my hydrometer). The problem in my case is the calibration solution, not the refractometer.

Its funny you mention that. I never had a problem till I used calibration fluid. It was stable with ro water.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back