Refug flow

Discussion in 'Triton Applied Reef Bioscience' started by Norcalreef, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Norcalreef

Norcalreef Active Member R2R Supporter

Setting up a tank using the triton method. Does this look ok for my fuge? To get 10x turnover I’m running over 800gph through the sump and it is wipping the heck out of the macros. Hope the link for the video works.

Tags:

2. Tim@Triton

Tim@Triton Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

If the flow is destroying the algae then you should reduce it somewhat until the algae are strong enough. There is no point running it that high if the algae will not currently survive it. If the chaeto is brittle then it may not be getting what it needs in way of nutrients, is the tank still cycling?

3. Norcalreef

Thanks for replying. The tank has been cycled for only a few weeks. I just got all the algae yesterday from algae barn. I didn’t realize some of the inside of the cheato was dead. It made an absolute mess of my tank.

4. Tim@Triton

Tim@Triton Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

I can imagine, remember to feed the tank during this stage as if the nutrients get too low then the algae will die off.

5. Norcalreef

Yes thank you. I’ve added a clean up crew right now and have been feeding them heavy twice a day. It is still a struggle to keep nutrients in the system as I started with a good amount of live rock.

6. Norcalreef

Just thought I would update. I ended up adding a 45 at the end of my drain which made all the difference in the world. Unfortunately all but a tiny amount of the chaeto melted away. It still has not taken off and has just been slowly growing. Fortunately the other red macros I have, have exploded. Likely the reason the chaeto has not.
    In just over two weeks it has gone from this
    C8043C10-5A26-4252-8C37-7005BB8A5059.jpeg
    To this
    AA799846-6C8B-4813-B0BD-147C9D0AD8BA.jpeg
    I also used some extra screen I had left from a diy screen top to make a screen for the outlet of my fuge. I cut a piece to length then cut 5 small pieces of 1” the put a slit in them. I used the small piece of pvc to clamp the netting in place. This has made all the difference, as I used to have quite the mess of macro everywhere. I can upload a pic later if anyone wants to see it.
    Word of warning to anyone using the Neptune flow monitor with macro algae. Make sure your macro stays contained to the fuge. It can and will clog the flow monitor if it gets in it. It clogged the fmm on multiple occasions until I added the fuge outlet strainer. When I first added the chaeto it clogged so badly it actually obstructed flow. I came home from work to it unclogged and a ton of water dumping down my emergency drain. All has been well since.
    27F2A6FC-FA0E-4E25-B01D-BF34A18F26C1.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted