Refugium before or after skimmer

David Whitlock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bashsea smart series sump. I’ve been debating whether I want to do Refugium or skimmer first. What is everyone’s opinion and why? If I do the Refugium first do I still use filter socks?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
personally, i have my in this configuration: drain, skimmer, fuge, return. between the fuge and return there are baffles/bubble trap with a black filter sponge i occasionally rinse/change. i have seen much success with this setup, as well as with the fuge going before the skimmer. i think it's just personal preference.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine set up fuge then skimmer. There are baffles and sponge bubble trap before return but I'd rather have my skimmer scoop any small chaeto that sneaks through.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still use filter socks or does it not work with a Refugium
From what I have read they recommend filter socks before the fuge to catch detritus and keep detritus out of your fuge. I run one sock before. I have only had mine set up a short while but chaeto is growing well with neptune gro light. I dose chaeto gro twice a week. Is having a positive impact on my nitrates and phosphate and I already see lots of microfauna swimming around in there. I have rock rubble and marinepure spheres. I added a couple peppermint shrimp and trochus snails for any extra detritus and GHA that formed on the glass (better then DT).

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's debatable. Sock before traps all the big stuff, but keeps the 'fuge from reaping the benefits of that food.
Sometime you need to experiment to find the right setup for your own system.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
It's debatable. Sock before traps all the big stuff, but keeps the 'fuge from reaping the benefits of that food.
Sometime you need to experiment to find the right setup for your own system.
Won’t the socks catch all the cope pods from display coming down into refugium

Moderno182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Guys I have , socks, refugium and skimmer after! my nitrates and phosphates are very low! but you need to check the bio load that you have! otherwise your caeto can run dry!!!

Detour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same sump and run the fuge first, as I'm following the Triton method. I do, however, have terrible bubble issues and evaporation with this sump - because my DT is an Aqueon and I don't have a good option for running Herbie overflows/drains. My two 1" drains with Durso standpipes pull in air that this sump design doesn't seem to deal with well. I've been running this sump for a little over a year.

OP
OP
David Whitlock

David Whitlock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same sump and run the fuge first, as I'm following the Triton method. I do, however, have terrible bubble issues and evaporation with this sump - because my DT is an Aqueon and I don't have a good option for running Herbie overflows/drains. My two 1" drains with Durso standpipes pull in air that this sump design doesn't seem to deal with well. I've been running this sump for a little over a year.
I decided to go skimmer first.

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a separate fuge. That empties into my pump compartment of my sump. I feel after the skimmer may help feed the tank so to speak. Just my preference

Huskervu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the benefits/drawbacks of Skimmer or Refugium first? I was told Skimmer first so copepods don’t get sucked into Skimmer. Thoughts?

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the benefits/drawbacks of Skimmer or Refugium first? I was told Skimmer first so copepods don’t get sucked into Skimmer. Thoughts?
If one of your priorities for the fuge is to provide live food for the fish in your DT then I say skimmer first. If you don't care about that then it's just whatever setup is easier/ more convenient to maintain.

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because i grow plants in my fuge, its before my skimmer. That way all the nutrients in the tank water hit the plants before the skimmer. It also happens to be my only option due to my sump design. To the earlier question on pods in the sock, yes they will get caught there if you dont remove it after adding and wait some time for them to settle. I usually remove for 24-48 hours to be sure I dont just filter out my purchase.

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the drain is spilt, then it does not matter. This was the only thing I wished I had accounted for in the SCA build. Yes I could have re-plumbed, never got back to it. So without split, then fuge, skimmer...no sock, used the coarse foam pas for detritus...

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont think it matters personally even if your skimmer takes a few it shouldn't effect your population as most successful species are non pelagic

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back