Regal Angel Question

Resu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I recently just bought a Regal Angel from my LFS less than a week ago. I have added it into my quarantine but with no copper or other medications to let him settle in and start eating. He has started eating pellets and mysis shrimp!

My question is that I have observed it head twitching but not frequently. It has also not scratched against the rocks but has developed one spot on its tail as seen on the video below. Can anyone diagnose this as ich or flukes? Should I take any precautions now or continue to let the angelfish settle in? Thank you guys!

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone,

I recently just bought a Regal Angel from my LFS less than a week ago. I have added it into my quarantine but with no copper or other medications to let him settle in and start eating. He has started eating pellets and mysis shrimp!

My question is that I have observed it head twitching but not frequently. It has also not scratched against the rocks but has developed one spot on its tail as seen on the video below. Can anyone diagnose this as ich or flukes? Should I take any precautions now or continue to let the angelfish settle in? Thank you guys!

When a marine fish and including your angel is twitching or shaking its head from side to side almost like it was trying to shake something off its head, your likely experiencing flukes. other symptoms may be. . Rapid breathing, frayed fins and production of excessive slim coating. Hold off with pellets and try other nutritious food such as LRS Herbivore diet , spirulina brine shrimp and small plankton.
Add selcon vitamins to the foods for stamina and overall health.

My treatment of choice is:
Freshwater dip to confirm flukes

Treatment with prazi Pro and ideal in quarantine (add aeration if using this product as it slightly reduces oxygen)

Make sure your salinity is at least at 1.025 when using most meds as many meds have a stronger than intended impact when used at lower levels of salinity. If treating with Prazi, remove your skimmer cup but leave the skimmer running as praziwill make your skimmer go nuts producing a ton of bubbles. Don’t forget to remove any type of carbon that you have running in your system also
Do note that FW dips will only remove the flukes from an infected fish, and not the flukes which are laying dormant in the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

The lump on the tail could be a broken fin ray or the start of Lymphocystis.
Beware of waiting too long to begin preventative treatments. You should have copper and prazi on hand, ready to go.
I normally suggest folks start with copper, but this fish looks really good, so you should probably treat for flukes first. I’d skip the FW dip, it is just a diagnostic tool for one species of fluke. I’d go straight to a Prazipro treatment. Dose with really good aeration, then after at least 36 hours, change 25% of the water and then dose again at 9 days. Be ready to start copier if you see rapid breathing or ich spots.
Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back