OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My remaining fish that survived the move are doing okay, but I cant get them to feed and they are very skidish. My coral have been struggling. I have had most of my anemones literally melt away. The remaining surviving nems look terrible. Ive had a quite a few mushrooms melt as well. My other lps are doing fair. I lost all my sps.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a good read...

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Things are still looking pretty rough. Most of my RBTA are now lumps of white debris. I siphoned out a couple yesterday, it almost made me vomit. I think I need to siphon the remaining dead lumps out to help fix this. I am starting to get strains of stringy green algae now. To be expected. Cyanobacteria is starting to take over the rock as well. Fish are surviving still. I attempt to through a couple pellets in everyday to get them interested, with no luck. I am thinking of doing my routine water change wednesday to keep consistency.

Its pretty heartbreaking to see my beautiful tank look and suffer this much.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't help but just be patient and watch my coral and fish continue to struggle. I intervened. I decided to go back to my roots and do what I always do when things start to go south...WATER CHANGES !!! i siphoned out as much dead debris from the nems that I could. I used a turkey baster on the cyano. I proceeded after with a 30 gallon water change. I will do another one on Wednesday and will continue to do every other day until things start to return to normal.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major frustration.

Are you running a UV?

I am sorry this is happening Dan. I agree go back to what you know. The bloom is feeding off itself. Dead and dying anemones are probably initiating the viscous cycle.

If you're not using UV I highly recommend one, and If you are using UV does the bulb need replaced.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major frustration.

Are you running a UV?

I am sorry this is happening Dan. I agree go back to what you know. The bloom is feeding off itself. Dead and dying anemones are probably initiating the viscous cycle.

If you're not using UV I highly recommend one, and If you are using UV does the bulb need replaced.
No UV. Although I have been doing some research. I’ve basically lost everything.

76EF7292-CE9E-4A7D-B633-3E4CB554B93A.jpeg
62D702B3-C020-4307-91EB-1EE26A73C49F.jpeg
E9301B73-F5F2-42CB-B5A6-5EC9708B7BA0.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh good.

I feel so bad about current livestock issues.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just doing some thinking.

When I relocated the tank, I removed the sand bed. Wanted to have me new setup be bare bottom. Could the disruption of removing the sand cause the issues I am currently dealing with?

Tristanzs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing the sand bed probably did change the chemistry of the tank. That being said I'd wager the move was much harder on it. All the new water, stressed fish and coral, my friend lost almost everything 3 months ago when he was required to move. It's brutal to see first hand and my heart goes out to you. My advice keep it simple let the tank stabilize with biweekly water changes and cleaning detritus. As it does so then you can target things like the cyanobacteria.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing the sand bed probably did change the chemistry of the tank. That being said I'd wager the move was much harder on it. All the new water, stressed fish and coral, my friend lost almost everything 3 months ago when he was required to move. It's brutal to see first hand and my heart goes out to you. My advice keep it simple let the tank stabilize with biweekly water changes and cleaning detritus. As it does so then you can target things like the cyanobacteria.
Over the past couple years, I was siphoning my sand during water changes to go bare bottom. I was doing so very slowly and never was able to get it all. It wasn't until this move that I eventually got it all removed. However, I agree that it wasn't just the sand, it was the whole move in general. Appreciate your condolence. I'm generally speaking a simple guy and keep things simple on my reef tank. Will continue to be patient and in due time the tank will turn around and I will rebuild better then before.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also be Marine Velvet? I'm not very versed in fish diseases.

I am starting to think that my current tank is too far gone to make a turn around and have to start over?

I need some help and support here, R2R.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there! When all goes wrong with a project for me I go back to basics, as you are. It almost always works the best. Just work the solution, the basics, and make small adjustments as needed. You got this!

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there! When all goes wrong with a project for me I go back to basics, as you are. It almost always works the best. Just work the solution, the basics, and make small adjustments as needed. You got this!
Really appreciate the positive feedback. With out a doubt, the most frustrated I have ever been in this hobby. I feel like I am doing just about all that I am capable of doing with no success. Nothing has gone my way since the move.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan it is time to intervene we know how to save tanks like this. You'll have to do the #1 thing you dont want to do, to save the tank, n (re clean it all with new water) waiting will not work it will be a slow loss cascade.

Removing your sandbed didnt cause this

leaving clouding did, we didnt catch your move preps in time to run them through the sand rinse thead, then you would have set up cloudless, and lost nothing.

read these examples for how to fix your tank in time before total loss. this is the price of big tanking, having to redo the cleaning aspect in order to save it.

100 sandbeds fully removed without one loss

what they have in common is cloudless setup using all new water

here is the most recent example of a big tank rework using cloudless reassemble

both of those threads use the principle of cloudless rebuild to get what they get as after pics, when you mentioned clouding a couple weeks ago I sensed an issue coming up. the tank is going through something called eutrophic shift; what we do is the single best way to cause oligotrophy which is the clean uninvaded vibrant reef condition.

take no shortcuts, wait no longer, those two threads have fix after fix documented.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have been studying this particular condition Dan since 2015 above

it is prevented by cleaning deeper than we have ever been permitted to clean right when your reef is taken apart for the move; ironically that's the only safe way to deal with stored up nutrients, by a form of reef aquarium surgery. the cloud at the start was the killer.

all new water -cleaned rocks free of detritus- will transfer with zero cloud and then it will not have to be redone. the larger the tank, the more important a totally cloudless start is since re accessing everything is so hard and costly. price of big reefing though. you will never have it happen again though if you'll apply procedure from the sand rinse thread, not ever again in any size tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back