jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tangs that have gone through their 30 day copper treatment and are ready to be moved into the main display. Do I have to remove the copper in the quarantine (2.23) before adding them to the display or can I start the acclimation process without removing the copper?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the copper and replace with fresh saltwater in the QT, ensuring the salinity matches the main tank. Then observe the fish for another week or two in quarantine to ensure nothing new pops up... then just move over to the main tank.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the copper and replace with fresh saltwater in the QT, ensuring the salinity matches the main tank. Then observe the fish for another week or two in quarantine to ensure nothing new pops up... then just move over to the main tank.
sounds good, currently doing 50% WC’s everyday until I read >0.1ppm copper. Is this a good approach?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good, currently doing 50% WC’s everyday until I read >0.1ppm copper. Is this a good approach?
That will work. But you don't have to do a step down to reduce copper. It can be removed all at once.

I typically try to do a 95-100% water change all at once to get the copper out. I do this by adding some new water into a container... moving the fish to that container... change out the water... put the fish in the new water.

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it won't work efficiently, you'll need to do a near 100% change or you'll be doing 50% forever to get the levels down as they only 1/2 every time, so while the first time removes 1/2, the second 50% only removes 1/4, the next 1/8th, the next 1/16th etc..........at your current 2.23, you'd need 5 changes at 50% to get to less then 0.1

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it won't work efficiently, you'll need to do a near 100% change or you'll be doing 50% forever to get the levels down as they only 1/2 every time, so while the first time removes 1/2, the second 50% only removes 1/4, the next 1/8th, the next 1/16th etc..........at your current 2.23, you'd need 5 changes at 50% to get to less then 0.1
very good point. I’ll begin doing larger water changes tomorrow, thank you.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will work. But you don't have to do a step down to reduce copper. It can be removed all at once.

I typically try to do a 95-100% water change all at once to get the copper out. I do this by adding some new water into a container... moving the fish to that container... change out the water... put the fish in the new water.
Sounds good, I’ll do a 100% WC right now and hopefully things will go accordingly. thank you for the help.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT tank is an AIO. I remove copper by putting a Polyfilter in the overflow/sump in the back. Place it so that water must flow through it. Cuprisorb also can be used.

I don't trust simple dilution via water changes to get all copper out.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back