Removing Reefer 350 weir pipes

Gill K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi from Cambridge, UK,
I've had a reefer 350 for about 5 years and mostly all going fine until yesterday :(:(. The pipework under the weir started to leak quite badly and although I've emptied the weir and dismantled the sump-side pipework I cannot unscrew the central and right hand pipework in the weir itself. Has anyone any suggestions how I can release them please?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi from Cambridge, UK,
I've had a reefer 350 for about 5 years and mostly all going fine until yesterday :(:(. The pipework under the weir started to leak quite badly and although I've emptied the weir and dismantled the sump-side pipework I cannot unscrew the central and right hand pipework in the weir itself. Has anyone any suggestions how I can release them please?

Welcome to R2R!! Is it the nuts on the bulkhead? If so, Will either of these tools be helpful?

!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you can do it without affecting the tank itself, hot water may help to loosen stubborn connections.

OP
OP
G

Gill K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to unscrew the pipes from inside the overflow box? They are brittle and I would guess that being in there for so long they are probably caked with crud.
Yes from inside the box and well crudded. Any ideas how to uncrud without cracking the weir base. Can always replace pipes, but have to get them out first!!!

OP
OP
G

Gill K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Is it the nuts on the bulkhead? If so, Will either of these tools be helpful?

!
The bulkhead nut (on underside of cabinet) is glued in place from manufacture. Pipes can only be removed by rotating them anticlockwise. Got one off but the other two wont shift.

OP
OP
G

Gill K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pipes on the inside of the overflow should pull out, unless you glued them (whoops). The bulkhead nut on the outside of the tank could be loosened with a channel lock pliers or one of @Peace River 's fancy tools there.
The pipes are fitted with TWO sets of screw threads and an O ring. The bulkhead nut is glued from manufacture.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The bulkhead nut (on underside of cabinet) is glued in place from manufacture. Pipes can only be removed by rotating them anticlockwise. Got one off but the other two wont shift.

What about a basin wrench or a strap wrench? Any chance you can share pictures (including what you removed)?

Back