OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been progress. Lots of little things that take a lot of time and are not all that interesting.

I have been working on getting the drains in the overflow box the way I want them which has been a bit of a challenge because the boxes a just a bit too small for all of the 1.5" fittings I am working playing around with. I have used a dremel to grind down the thickness of a couple 90s to get them to fit better as well as sawing off some of the 90 to get the water levels where I want them.

The tank is now cycling, I added some thawed out Rods Food, Algae Barn NitroCycle, Fritz Turbo Start, and Prodibio Bio Digest. I know some people who had great success cycling their tank in this manner.

sSUTXqSh.jpg

I took a lot of the Marine Pure Creamic Bio Media Cubes that I have in my old sump and put them in various spots in the new system. I also take about 5 gallons of water out of the old system a day and put it in the new system.

A reefing acquaintance, @Wspangler , built the frame work for the hanging canopies that the lights will hang from. The canopies will be trimmed up and hide most of the space between them and the ceiling when all is completed. I will house the light power supplies up in the canopies and I am considering housing other electronics up there as well.

If things go as planned today, I should have the lights mounted over the display tank tonight.

Just planning the spacing, the lights will hand down several inches from the canopy:

Ggu4iznh.jpg

SyXXmA7h.jpg

Iscjt8dh.jpg

7Zh1MW4h.jpg

chenU8jh.jpg

H8Ta7sOh.jpg

I have to say, the size of this thing doesn't translate well in pictures. I am still trying to get used to its scale. Standing at the far end of the display tank and looking across its length, I continually get intimidated by how much actual water is in it.

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, on the drains I need the water level at a certain height for 2 reasons. 1. To reduce the noise of the water entering the overflow box. 2. The siphon drain needs to be elevated so that the siphon breaks quickly if the return pumps/power fails. I did not give myself much room in the sump for extra capacity in a failure event (part my fault, part miscommunication). So, with the siphon higher as it is, if it were just a pipe facing up it would keep slurping air loudly, so it faces down using 2 90s. There wasn't quite enough room for them, so where I am pointing at is where I ground down the outside of the pipe to allow it to fit.

dyWY8zLh.jpg

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have the return pumps on battery backup and I have an automatic whole house generator, but with this much water I am trying to be as careful and redundant as possible to prevent sump overflow

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the drains in the back determine how much water enters the sump or is it the internal overflow weir?

In my overflow for the main drain I do not have a pipe at all connected but the tank only drains down to where the weir teeth start.

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the removeable weir, the removable part is not water tight. The water actually drains almost an inch below the teeth which on this size tank is a lot of water.

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few tasks completed this weekend.

Got a light up over the new frag tank. The light over the current frag tank will be added once the tank is shut down

CwQ3WSTh.jpg

ilHxpXch.jpg

I added check valves in my never ending quest to limit drainage to the sump in the case of a power outage

sO1rXzCh.jpg

I also noticed a lot of pods on the glass that must have been brought in form the bio media cubs and water added from the old tanks. I was happy to see them!

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check Values are clutch I have one on my return and it saves me every time I have a power outage! Thanks for letting me come over the other day and checkout the new tank and pickup amazing corals as always!! Cant wait to see it when everything is moved over!!

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few tasks completed this weekend.

Got a light up over the new frag tank. The light over the current frag tank will be added once the tank is shut down

CwQ3WSTh.jpg

ilHxpXch.jpg

I added check valves in my never ending quest to limit drainage to the sump in the case of a power outage

sO1rXzCh.jpg

I also noticed a lot of pods on the glass that must have been brought in form the bio media cubs and water added from the old tanks. I was happy to see them!
#pleasureroom

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testers still doing okay?

Yes, testers are alive!

On Saturday a friend took down his tank. After @Wspangler ransacked our friend's tank, I took some remaining corals (lobo, elegance, acan, goni, acros) , snails, hermits, shrimp, 3 chalk bass (underrated fish) and one damsel. They are all doing well after a few days.

fQ2Pf0xh.jpg

e0p7zrRh.jpg

giz4B3Rh.jpg

If things continue to look good I will probably move everything over in a week or two.

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your new tank is looking great, and totally agree with your lighting choice

I recall talking to you at a swap a couple years back about the Atlantiks. I had the one over my frag tank and you said you were going to put them over your display. Clearly it has worked well for you!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back