Rerfugium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to start my Refugium new and am not sure how to go. Algae Barn has there refugium starter kits witch would be the easiest way to go but they use marine pure blocks but at the time when I started triton they said no to using them and just use a few pieces of live rock. I don't have any Clean Live rock. What do I do?

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 Gal Rimless

Attachments

• 3b55zGgYR4+i2i%uXAANEg.jpg
    3b55zGgYR4+i2i%uXAANEg.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 50

mightynova63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I to am running a 80 lagoon (6 weeks old), I used a brightwell xport bio brick in a 10 gal tank with MicroBacter7 for about a week at just room temp 70 deg water prio to installing it in my tank. I just started Chaeto (algebarn) about a week ago. Remember one thing there is no replacement for surface area. my buddy is also building a similar tank and used CaribSea rock, he has had a major bloom in his tank for about 5 weeks. After talking to the own of brightwell about his bloom he told him to add more bio blocks ( he has 6-2" blocks) in his tank because the caribsea rock is mostly mortar and is not pours for Bactria to grow. Im running the up to 1000 gal brick in my tank and it is super clear and every thing is spot on.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I guess I will get on the waiting list at Algae Barn. But I'm still going to try to find so good clean live rock. But using the marine pure bio blocks at first can't hurt and your right about surface area. Just trying to take my time and get it right

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I don't know who I talked too when I first started Triton and I don't remember the exact reason they give but live rock is what is preferred over the marine pure. I think I will start that way now as I don't have any live rock that I can trust with all the problems I've had and starting over I don't want anything bad.

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a ton of rock in the display I just wanted to add some more filtration with a minimal footprint. I read some of the concerns about the Marine Pure and decided I would run the risk since I am not going the sensitive coral/fish route at this point. Hardy easier to care for stuff since I travel (or at least did before COVID) a lot. Wanted some stuff that could be auto fed for a few days at a time without concern. Next update coming this weekend so you can see where I am.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back