- Rethinking "methods" in the reef game -

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott,
You are not old enough to be “Old School”. You hit the nail on the head when you said , “I feel this hobby has turned into a money machine and a workhorse”.
I’m in my mid-thirties. Definitely not old enough to be old school. But just “wingin it” worked wonders. I got back in this hobby maybe mid-twenties or so. Things had changed. I was then spending hard earned cash. I moved and got rid of my tank. Started up again not too long ago and decided to go my-style old-school.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter sock, protein skimmer, LOTS of flow, good lights. We had a 500 gallon years ago and had a refugium. My current setup has no room for a refugium but that’s the only difference between the two. The same stuff works now as then. No need for anything special. Rollers are great but expensive. You can get filter socks at BRS for $7. They might get be a pain, but I just can’t justify spending money on a roller.

Good luck!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott,
You are not old enough to be “Old School”. You hit the nail on the head when you said , “I feel this hobby has turned into a money machine and a workhorse”.
Our days, no stinking stream pumps, DC pumps.... . Surge buckets were the rage, we'd walk bare foot for miles to the beach, fill 5 gal bucket,walk back, dump in tank, doing all over again, thats old school.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, this is super informative and gives me lots of research to do. Going to check out the referenced methods and keep in mind the reality that a hybrid approach is sometimes feasible. Until then... time for marine biology exploration on a week long kayak trip . I will respond individually when I get back.

OP
OP
R

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, this is super informative and gives me lots of research to do. Going to check out the referenced methods and keep in mind the reality that a hybrid approach is sometimes feasible. Until then... time for marine biology exploration on a week long kayak trip . I will respond individually when I get back.

OP
OP
R

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
R

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our days, no stinking stream pumps, DC pumps.... . Surge buckets were the rage, we'd walk bear foot for miles to the beach, fill 5 gal bucket,walk back, dump in tank, doing all over again, thats old school.
That sounds like my old game. I almost want to call it caveman style.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest you first decide what you want to keep. Methods vary widely.
Where you live matters. I have to buy livestock through the mail or Petco. The less hardy a specimen is the less likely I will be able to get it here.
I run a simple system that requires no filtration, dosing or regular testing. I keep simple stuff. I have to support and build my systems with stuff I can buy at Home Depot or through the mail.
I would also suggest you stick to methods within a money and time budget you are willing to maintain over an extended period. Once you start doing this it is very unforgiving of outside events.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's not caveman style, it's trying to enlighten the young ones, reminding them how the hobby has advanced. Heee

ha been there done that one guys. when I lived in Hawaii that was my method too. except 2 5 gallon at a time :D

now my 2 cents for the OP.

IMHO one must find a "methodology" that suits there needs, style of reefing, budget and one they truly can get fired up about.
I think if you like and are inspired by your method your for likely to fallow through on it. each reef tank is different as each person even if you gave 100 people the same method you would get up with many different camps in the same system.

me, i like nature and I try to do things the way mother nature dose that said we are creating a mini reef in our house and I am not apposed of tech and new gear. but I still think nature dose it best I am a big fan of algae turf scrubbers or fuges (IMHO ATS work better ) a good skimmer to pick up any think else. good flow and know your lighting par/pur.

There will always be work in any system that is why I think it's impotent to have fun and enjoy your tank and style of reefing. after all is a hobby!

what ever system one uses I think finding balance and stability is key. after all that is what nature wants and is doing. all all stytems of reefing that is the end goal.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second the "Berlin Method". I still use this method. Virtually all modern reefing is based on this method.

I dose virtually nothing except kalkwasser in my ATO reservoir and once in a blue moon Phosphate and elements.

Water change once a week of 10%. Broadcast feed LRS. That's it.

Tjm23slo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Triton method. The theory is nice, I’ve see lots of success from others with it. However it seems to be better once a year has gone by. I”m working my way towards a modified version with algae, skimmer and rock as my main mechanical and chemical filter. I like flow probably too much. I went to crazy on nutrient reduction and fell into a battle with Dinoflagellates. Things are recovering and I’m back towards a modified triton method.

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second the "Berlin Method". I still use this method. Virtually all modern reefing is based on this method.

I dose virtually nothing except kalkwasser and once in a blue moon Phosphate and elements.

Water change once a week of 10%. Broadcast feed LRS. That's it.

It just works. The way people have expanded on it is great but I think there is a ton of value in new reefers starting with the basics and getting that solid foundation under them to expand on if they want. I've found I got really complex over time and pared it back to pretty much just the Berlin method as I got older because I liked the ease of the results I got and didn't mind the few limitations it brought.

Cesar Ravan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just works. The way people have expanded on it is great but I think there is a ton of value in new reefers starting with the basics and getting that solid foundation under them to expand on if they want. I've found I got really complex over time and pared it back to pretty much just the Berlin method as I got older because I liked the ease of the results I got and didn't mind the few limitations it brought.

DSC_0082.JPG

Just works is right.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many different ways to reefing! I will say this though, with all the advances and experimentation, this is the reason why the hobby has advanced and is full of learning still to this day!

Very cool time to be in the hobby!

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any sort of filter sock (or filter paper) in my sump and I don’t miss it a bit. It is only one more thing to take care of and in my opinion doesn’t really add that much value. My water is crystal clear without anything. For nutrient uptake, I do have a refugium that grows Chaeto like crazy and an oversized skimmer. I feed fairly heavy and don’t worry too much about it. My tank is coming up on two years and I am just now able to grow SPS with some success. Stability is more the key here. I try to automate as much as possible to keep things consistent. However don’t get too caught up in gadgets. Keep it as simple as possible. Automate only when needed.

In my opinion, start with all live rock and a strong clean up crew. Tampa Bay Saltwater has incredible man made rock that they dumped in the ocean for a while. I have heard nothing but great things about their rock. Wishing I would have started with their rock. Expensive but well worth avoiding the headache of starting with dry.

A few of my opinions! Hope it helps.
Very much agreed with Tampa Bay. I just purchased the “package” and it is absolutely wonderful. Full of life. Pricey, but well worth it. Richard who runs it is cool to work with and believes in a simple approach with great results.

Back