Retired and renewing the reef hobby!

DaprDon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm Don, I recently retired and have the desire to re-establish a Nano system. I had a JBJ 12 gallon nano set up about 7 years ago and loved it. I also recently moved and now as my wife and I settle in I wanted to invest a little of the time I didn't have when I was working. Retirement was more from health issues than having financial security. Therefore my adventure back will be slow and methodical based on budget.
That said, I went to clean up my 12 gal nano only to discover that it had 2 nice cracks in the glass in the bottom of the return chamber area, poof! Out goes the nano! I believe they were there when it was set up before as there was salt creep and moisture in that area and the backing was starting to bubble.
I recently gave my landlord a 75 gal Reef Ready Oceanic tank and he had a new 10 gal tank and 20 gal long sitting in the basement and he recently got some fish and live rock from a tank break down, so I talked him into giving me 20 lbs of LR and the 20 long.
Now I am in the process of putting an all in one system in one end of it. I plan on having a refugium with a JBJ nano glo light. I am thinking either a Finnex Marine 2 or Current Orbit marine strip LED lights for display lights, Possibly a Finnex HMX 100 heater and a Rio 800-1100 return pump. Possibly going with Tropic Marin Reef pro salt, Although I had had a lot of success in the past with instant ocean Reef Crystals.
Any suggestion would be welcomed and I will begin posting some photos as it progresses.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy

howdy.gif

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back