Return plumbing confusion

finn_reef18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting my plumbing this weekend and I don’t know why I’m having trouble understanding my return pump/bulkhead setup.

My return setup will be 1/2 inch.
I know that I want vinyl flex tube from the return pump to PVC, and PVC to bulkhead, but I’m unsure of what I need to use to connect the flex tube to the PVC. Also, do I cement PVC directly into the bulkhead? I’ve attached a photo of the bulkhead I’m ordering.

Thanks in advance!

717CCA91-F2D5-4AEB-B1EE-DB9F5A2F7293.jpeg

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, you cement pvc into the bulkhead. You’ll need to cut about a 2 1/2” of 1/2” pvc to slip into the bulkhead. Then you’ll need a 1/2” 90 degree slip/slip or slip/thread elbow to slide over the section of tubing that’s sticking out of the bulkhead. Lastly, you’ll need the appropriate size barbed nipple to slip or screw into the elbow. Each section should get a thin layer of general purpose pvc glue and a few hours of drying time ideally. It’s probably not 100% necessary, but it will prevent your skimmer from going berserk. Also, glue ONE PIECE at a time because you’ll literally only have a second or two to get the piece slipped on and oriented how you want it. After that, it ain’t coming apart ever again. Make sure to use a few zipties or a good ratcheting hose clamp to keep the return hose good and snug on the barb.

Ding2daDong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab the bulkhead and head over to your local plumbing store. You will need to glue the bulkhead to pvc "hard" plumbing. I think it would go something like; bulkhead, pvc, union, pvc insert/slip adapter (this will be pard pvc to the soft tubiing, then soft tubing down to the return pulp and then whatever adapter you need.

OP
OP
finn_reef18

finn_reef18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab the bulkhead and head over to your local plumbing store. You will need to glue the bulkhead to pvc "hard" plumbing. I think it would go something like; bulkhead, pvc, union, pvc insert/slip adapter (this will be pard pvc to the soft tubiing, then soft tubing down to the return pulp and then whatever adapter you need.
Normally I would go to my plumbing store but we’re currently under lockdown lol

Edit: so I can only order online from my LFS

Last edited:

Ding2daDong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally I would go to my plumbing store but we’re currently under lockdown lol

Edit: so I can only order online from my LFS

Well local hardware stores are still open near me. Went to homedepot earlier today, might be different where you are though. Looks like you might have to order online or wait it out.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the bulk head it depends if it’s threaded or slip.

If it’s the slip kind then the PVC can go right in the bulkhead and you can put a union somewhere after.

If it’s the threaded kind then you need this.

05F4515E-41C9-471D-ABD9-B7F5727D4DAB.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back