Return pump and manifold

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So currently working on my new project and I thought of something “ I have way too many pumps”

So right now I am working on the sump and plumbing it to the DT tank and external Refugium. So I currently have
Varios 6 & 8 and Vortech M1, L2, & L1 ( yeah I know way to many lol)
Tank is 160gallon peninsula with a 20gallon Refugium and a 45gallon sump.

I will thinking just using 2 pumps one for a manifold that will feed the Refugium , Uv, chiller, and other devices. And then the other one that is just solely for the return.

Should I use the larger pumps only? So 2 Vortech L maybe the 8 or should I have the smaller pump for return and larger for manifold? Or am I thinking too much into this ??

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run a manifold off your drain lines, works great for my needs, free from power

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a separate pump for the manifold would give you the ability to tweak your return flow and other devices without affecting each other. That would be the only advantage I see over just using one pump for everything.

Regarding which pump, I'm not familiar with the Varios, but I think they would probably all work. Most of the devices you'd attach to a manifold don't need a massive amount of flow, and neither does return unless you have a massive system.

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? Because I suppose the return pump's first-and-foremost duty is to give you a decent return (turnover) to your tank. As long as your additional manifold items are diverting so much flow that you can't do the first thing adequately, then 'manifold-away!' Lol. :p

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many return lines does the tank have? My 180 has 2 return lines (pre-drilled), I run a separate pump for each. This way if one dies I have time to replace it and don't have to be a rush. I then have a unique manifold pump so I can control that specifically for those pieces like Chiller, GFO, Carbon, UV.

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another option...

Run 2 pumps and 2 return lines. Then attach the manifold to one of the return pumps. This would provide additional redundancy for your return, and still provide somewhat independent control of return flow and manifold gear. I actually plan on replumbing my system this way in the future.

Edit: @lefkonj beat me to it! :)

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t lie I like , that idea with 2 pumps and 2 separate return line so should I use one larger pump for manifold and return and one smaller for just return line alone? Or just do 2 large and sell off the rest

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t lie I like , that idea with 2 pumps and 2 separate return line so should I use one larger pump for manifold and return and one smaller for just return line alone? Or just do 2 large and sell off the rest

That would make sense. The dedicated return doesn’t need to be huge especially if it’s only responsible for half of your return flow.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many return lines does the tank have? My 180 has 2 return lines (pre-drilled), I run a separate pump for each. This way if one dies I have time to replace it and don't have to be a rush. I then have a unique manifold pump so I can control that specifically for those pieces like Chiller, GFO, Carbon, UV.
So you run 3 return pumps? One for each return line and a extra pump just for manifold ?

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you run 3 return pumps? One for each return line and a extra pump just for manifold ?
Yes 3 DC return pumps. This way the manifold can be dialed in for whatever the specific need is. Also the returns are run independently so if one dies I still have the other which would run that tank no problem until I replace it.

Sorry but I try to build in as much redundancy as possible and keep life support running for as many seconds of the year as possible.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes 3 DC return pumps. This way the manifold can be dialed in for whatever the specific need is. Also the returns are run independently so if one dies I still have the other which would run that tank no problem until I replace it.

Sorry but I try to build in as much redundancy as possible and keep life support running for as many seconds of the year as possible.
Can you show me a pic how you set up the manifold ? I get what you are saying but it’s hard to envision the plumbing just sitting there. Do you have it mounted to brackets?

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Also do you have a ball valve at end of manifold to create back pressure?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back