Return pump, Pipe desing

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends, I wanted to make this issue because I have wanted to make changes in the pipeline that carries water from the pump back to the display.

Currently my return pump output is divided into 2 with a "T" PVC and pipes out there with several curves made of PVC, but the pipe vibrates and produces much noise.

Here's a picture of how my climb to display.
IMG-20151015-WA0043_zps8kkrnfnj.jpg

I want to remove that noise, but I'm not sure how to do it, then I would have to make its recommendations in an appropriate manner and thus reduce noise.

If you can enlighten me with photos and have your plumbing system thank you.

Regards

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of quiet and spent a lot of time and experimenting in making my system as quiet as possible. I can tell you about a few of the things that helped me out, maybe they are some things you can try.
Isolating vibration is the key. Every hard surface will conduct vibration and turn it into sound waves like a speaker. First I do almost no hard plumbing, except for my manifold, everything I do is with silicone or vinyl tubing (mostly vinyl because silicone tubing is $$$$$). I use one 3' piece of 1" silicone braided tubing to connect my main return pump to my manifold. Silicone tubing is far better at isolating vibration than vinyl tubing is. I also use an in sump pump (like you), and under mine I put a 5"x8" silicone pot holder from Bed Bath and Beyond. It sounds silly maybe, but that little pad under the pump really deadens the vibration from carrying through the sump and stand. My protein skimmer also needed to be elevated slightly to get it at the right depth in the water. So I used one of those large Lifegard Aquatics AquaMesh pads cut down to the right size underneath it. They are rigid enough to support the skimmer, but because they are spun plastic that is very irregular they don't carry almost any vibration from the skimmer pump to the sump. Lastly, I noticed in your sump there is a pretty big drop for the water in your last baffle, I'd suggest keeping your sump filled a little higher so it only drops about an inch or maybe less. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Roberto CRC

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you say that gives me some ideas to try, yet I still have some aobout.

These vinyl tubes are they? to see if it's here in Costa Rica I can find.

The division of the pump outlet, with the beams? if you could show me a photo I'd appreciate it heaps.

OP
OP
Roberto CRC

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tks friend, with these images you give me an idea. Let's see if anyone else shares the way he has done.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 30 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back