Return pump plumbing question

Alucard

Stomatopodiatrist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a simple one but if I'm screwing in a schedule 40 fitting into my syncra 4 do I need to use plumbin tape? I know the stock piece comes with an o ring but this is just a basic pipe thread fitting from the hardware store. Also how tight should I make it, I know the plastic pumps can break easy. thanks

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother with a sealant. Worst case it leaks into the sump, right? I go hand tight plus a quarter turn.
+1 the Teflon tape can cause plastic pump housing to crack when tightening.

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another option is plasto-stick a sealant designed for use with pvc fittings. We have all used teflon tape at times and it does work fairly well, just be aware that it creates additional stress on the fittings and is best to use in moderation.

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.laco.com/pipe-thread-sealants/plasto-joint-stik-/

I was able to find it easily on amazon, however it can supposedly be found at ACE hardware but I am unable to confirm this. If you have more than one threaded fitting to work with, it is well worth the effort to acquire some. I used it on my most recent build and it greatly reduced the frustrations of fixing leaking threaded fittings.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, use the Palsto Joint stick. I talk about tapes and pastes as well as the Plasto Joint in my Bulkhead installation tips sticky thread. PVC manufacturers discourage tapes.

OP
OP
Alucard

Alucard

Stomatopodiatrist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother with a sealant. Worst case it leaks into the sump, right? I go hand tight plus a quarter turn.
Im using it in line, so leaking is not an option :(

http://www.laco.com/pipe-thread-sealants/plasto-joint-stik-/

I was able to find it easily on amazon, however it can supposedly be found at ACE hardware but I am unable to confirm this. If you have more than one threaded fitting to work with, it is well worth the effort to acquire some. I used it on my most recent build and it greatly reduced the frustrations of fixing leaking threaded fittings.
Thanks i will definitely look into that!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back