Return Pump Recommendations (Cor or Varios?)

Which Pump would you recommend?

• Total voters

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need to buy anything extra if you already have the new Apex. The Power Bar 832 has three ports that you can connect the pump to.
If you are on older apex this will not work right?
I need to either upgrade to a new apex or buy the 1link...are my assumptions correct?
Meaning if I do not have the new apex, cor 20 will cost me $325+150$ which is 475$.

Last edited:

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to either upgrade to a new apex or buy the 1link...are my assumptions correct?
Meaning if I do not have the new apex, cor 20 will cost me $325+150$ which is 475$.

REEFLO pumps last a life time. then you can sell them to someone else for a second go around. You never have to clean them. Only Replace the seals once in a while.. its a 20 minute job. I Tried the DC Pump Trend , But so glad i left the Hammer Head still plumbed in .

Good Luck on what ever pump you choose.. But From my experience they are NO Where near as reliable as many of the Long time brands.. The Heart of your System is its Return pump. This should be the BEST You can get based on LONG Time reliable. I am talking 10-2o years not months ...

Happy shopping

dvdarvas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a Varios6 for two years and couldn’t be happier! It’s been reliable and silent.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
REEFLO pumps last a life time. then you can sell them to someone else for a second go around. You never have to clean them. Only Replace the seals once in a while.. its a 20 minute job. I Tried the DC Pump Trend , But so glad i left the Hammer Head still plumbed in .

Good Luck on what ever pump you choose.. But From my experience they are NO Where near as reliable as many of the Long time brands.. The Heart of your System is its Return pump. This should be the BEST You can get based on LONG Time reliable. I am talking 10-2o years not months ...

Happy shopping
Could not agree more, I was actually making the point that with this cost you can get better performance.
The only dc pump I trust are red dragon ame abyzz. Most the dc pumps out there are sub bar performance and will collapse under the simplest head pressure.

If you care about flow rate(which you should great deal) and can afford it, I would go with a company that their core Buissnes is pumps, like royal execlusive or abyzz, these guys design and build their pumps. Other dc pumps in the market are all from the same Chinese vendor, just diffrent plastic packaging.
If you want cheaper options go AC pumps. Way better performance for the buck..
Having the pump integrated with a conteoller means nothing if the pump not doing what it's intended to....push the tight flow rate..

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

COR20 is a stand alone pump just like the VarioS pumps. It’s the COR15 that requires the new Apex or 1link module.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had one varios 4 running on my 75 for almost two years, control it with 0-10v cable to apex at 65%. Rock solid. Clean every six months. Run dry float switch is a bonus.
I’d buy again

SVP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will relay this too you bro. I get the compatibility issues between ecotech and Neptune. I have ran vectras all of them and keep a 2nd pump in closet for plug and play cleaning or if vacationing my buddy can just swap if 1 breaks. I built a new tank all new everything sump,plumbing, manifold, return etc. The Cor20 pump and system was all brand new and put into use February 17th 2019. Last night after repeatedly having issue after issue and submitting tickets to Neptune i took that garbage out and off and replaced it with a vectra. My vectras must be different because i hear people saying this and that. If my 6 ive not had 1 break,melt, or stop unless told to do so. I cannot stand that cor20 unintelligent garbage. I dont need to see why the pump did this or that. I just need my return to work!

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will relay this too you bro. I get the compatibility issues between ecotech and Neptune. I have ran vectras all of them and keep a 2nd pump in closet for plug and play cleaning or if vacationing my buddy can just swap if 1 breaks. I built a new tank all new everything sump,plumbing, manifold, return etc. The Cor20 pump and system was all brand new and put into use February 17th 2019. Last night after repeatedly having issue after issue and submitting tickets to Neptune i took that garbage out and off and replaced it with a vectra. My vectras must be different because i hear people saying this and that. If my 6 ive not had 1 break,melt, or stop unless told to do so. I cannot stand that cor20 unintelligent garbage. I dont need to see why the pump did this or that. I just need my return to work!
Most of the low end dc pumpsare the same core chinese dc pump from hipool motor(dos included)
This is chinese manufacturer that sell alot of the pumps you see in the market, all what vendors do is put the logo or the plastic design.

Vectra is not bad especially the v2.
Best dc pumps I have owned is the abyzz and red dragon. These pumps are completly built in house and german engineering..
DC pumps inherently struggle with head pressure.
If you care about flow rate against head pressure(and you should) and want a dc get a decent dc pump that its flow rate is proven and meet your flow rate target (flow rate should be 5 to 10 times your volume). Otherwise get ome of the proven ac pumps ..

Last edited:

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cor20 leaked voltage into the tank; my varios8 turns off with a provided float valve- 100% RO Varios.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The informations you get about a return pump is useless honestly. The most relavent info you need from a return pump is flow rate, this you get by using flowmeter, which I do by using japanese flow meter after trying the Neptune fmm and failed horribly.
Getting a reliable return pump is much more important than integrating with a controller. All you need is the pump connected to a controlled outlet that's about it. All the other fluff is..well fluff.

Return pump need to push enough flow per your system. 5 to 10 times your water volume should be the goal. Many of the DC pumps in the market will not give 1/3 advertised flow rate once you introduce simple head pressure that is your plumbing...
My 2 cents.
which brand/model flowmeter are you using?

U

User1

View Badges
My preference for return pumps is also an AC pump due to the reasons you list, I'm using a Sicce Syncra Pro 1000.
OP - will you be adjusting the flow of your return periodically? What unique features of the COR appeal to you?

Maybe they mean no power supply if using 1Link?

Cor 15 uses the 1 link and gets power from the energy bar. Cor 20 uses its own power supply, brick. Both are good pumps. I have 2 x Cor 15's and 1 x Cor 20 and have been thrilled with them.

I'll stay out of the recommendation bit but you have some good tips here.

Back