Return pump

KagedScw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about to build a sump for my 75 gallon. I’ve been browsing around all afternoon to acquire a sump, I found one. Now I gotta find a return filter, my LfS’s don’t have any in the shelf anywhere. So I’ve been on Amazon… with that said what are some pumps that everyone likes. I’ve been looking at the jebao doc series and thought about grabbing the 3500. What you guys suggest on GPh for a set up my size. Thanks in advance

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jebao doc series

Ive been using their DCP for over 5 years now. Great pumps. You will want bigger, go with a 5000 min, as you can always turn it down, but if you need more you always have it in case you do need it.

Most tanks size does not dictate turn over. I have a 210G and I run the same as when I had a 100g display.

Usually all you want running through your sump is 400-700gph, on any size tank, any more than that, and its so danged noisy you would hate yourself.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 190 to 250 on a 50 gallon depending on how dirty it gets. I'd aim for 300 to 450. The test is that the heaters (and chiller if you have one) in the sump keep the display tank the same temp as the sump's water temperature. Flow is for wave makers not returns IMO. slow returns are quiet, less issues with roller filiters and micro bubbles, etc. no reason to go heavy flow.

Getting a pump that is rated for 900 gph and is adjustable with flow (DC) or about 700 gph (AC) i think would be good choices. This lets you run the DC pump at say 50% and it will be quieter (noise is usually most notable at 80% or more) and then increase power if needed if it gets dirty. The A/C pump you can add a gate valve on outlet side to lower the speed or increase as needed.

the higher gph above also factors in the reduced GPH cause by plumbing.

I like Ehiem for A/C. Last of a decade and probably longer. Pretty quiet. Not expensive

The jabeo seem to have mixed reviews for reliablity. But you could have a spare for the cost of other pumps!

The sicce looks pretty good on DC front for cheaper.

I really like ecotech's mobius app and adjustable flow on the vortech and assume there return pumps have something similar.

OP
OP
KagedScw

KagedScw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate bit. What’s a budget friendly in sump protein skimmer would you say does the job?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate bit. What’s a budget friendly in sump protein skimmer would you say does the job?

Thats question for another. Im old school and run a Aqua C EV 180, and a Lifereef, neither are common kneedlewheel.

Check out reefbuilder videos. Search his channel for skimmers . I remember he did a video on expensive versus cheaper skimmers both very nice. He knows his stuff.

But i did get my aqua c ev 180 on Ebay for $90.

It does this:
20211221_233841.jpg

so dont necessarily knock older used stuff (runs off any pump, and super low maintenance)..

And im not anti latest and greatest:

20211221_233831.jpg

Back