Reviving a MTC Minical Calcium Reactor

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a used Minical a while ago and then started to rebuild the tank it would eventually get hooked up to. So, reviving this reactor has been on the back burner.

Now I'm ready to get it rolling again. I'm just trying to find some people who use a Minical (or Procal), and know how to get it operating, what goes where, etc.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Also - I tried to contact MTC but no response.

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ask away..... i just finshed setting up the Pro Cal last month... so i understand the frustration

OP
OP
evmibo

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there's 3 lines. One for suction, one as the exit/effluent line, and the other is for ???

Are you using a feed pump? The original thing that attracted me to the Minical/Procal is that it's self feeding through suction, but I have seen some people use a feed pump. I would prefer to use it as designed.

I actually just found this video: which seems helpful.

Do you have a manual?

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0214.PNG
I don't have a manual.
But. Notice Few things.
1. I added ph probe by cutting the top pvc right before the union. And insert a t with a holder from brs. I did this with no flow alteration so no impact on performance
2. The green line is essentially the feedline. I ran siphon for a weeks (oem). Essentially this Lin needs to be at the bottom of the tank to start and maintain a siphon
But I find the line either gets clogged or the first chamber loses water and then the siphons. This sends the ph plummeting and effluent sky high. To risky. For this reason I'm installing a maxi jet to feed the pump. Instead of relying on siphon.

3. The white line coming from the top is the co2 vent. This should never be submerged. But should be over the water like your topoff since it my discharge a little water.
4. The blue line with the needle valve is the effluent line. Same setup as the co2 line just above water

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
restarting an old thread...
I just set up a procal and it keeps sucking air from somewhere. I know the top has a air purger.. not sure how its supposed to work and I left for a few hours and half the reactor was full of air.... I freaked out a bit...

Any suggestions? Is this a common issue?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The air purge/float valve at the top of the main chamber only works if you maintain positive pressure inside the ProCal. It's not a great design in my view. I've had mine for almost 20 years and one of the first things I did was to remove the float assembly and re-do the lines so that the second chamber pulls from the top of the first. That completely eliminates any gas buildup.

You also need to make sure that the water that is sucked/pumped into the unit does not come from a part of the sump that has a lot of bubbles.

tango0102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ca1ore, when you draw from the top of the first chamber will the co2 get a chance flow through the argonite properly and not just get sucked into the second chamber? I sometimes get air in the CaRx also, and wondering how best to get rid of them. I'm guessing after you removed the float assembly, you ran the line co2 vent line directly to the bottom of the second chamber, then capped off the original line going into the second chamber. Thanks for the suggestion.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ca1ore, when you draw from the top of the first chamber will the co2 get a chance flow through the argonite properly and not just get sucked into the second chamber?

Not that I have found. Circulation pump is many order of magnitude higher flow (200 gph) than the effluent draw.

I sometimes get air in the CaRx also, and wondering how best to get rid of them. I'm guessing after you removed the float assembly, you ran the line co2 vent line directly to the bottom of the second chamber, then capped off the original line going into the second chamber.

Yes, that is exactly what I did. Removal of the float also allows you to use more media in the rubble chamber.

OP
OP
evmibo

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The minical doesn’t have the purge line on top of the first chamber like the procal does. And by default the second chamber pulls from the top of the first. Simpler design but it sounds like it may work better?

@ca1ore out of curiousity are you using the suction method with your procal? Or are you pushing or pulling water through with a pump (if so which)?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my ProCal for almost 20 years and have modified it quite substantially in that time. One of those 'mods' was to employ a masterflex peristaltic pump as feed. I never could get the suction assembly to work properly, nor the manifold approach. MFLex pulls from the secondary (tertiary in my case ..... but that's another mod) .....

2002 - replaced the original little giant pump with a blueline
2005 - added in a pH probe, removed the float and redid the tubes
2013 - added a masterflex in pull mode
2017 - had MTC build me a larger rubble chamber; I use the original chamber 1 as a CO2 dissolving rector now. Added an apex flow sensor onto the circulation pump

OP
OP
evmibo

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had two used masterflex pumps and part of the appeal of the MTC was to not have to buy another expensive used pump that will start squeaking in a year or two. I’m hopeful I can get suction to work consistently.

tango0102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thumbs up for ca1ore's mod to take the effluent from the top of the first chamber. After installing a masterflex on the effluent side the pressure is mostly zero or negative, so the float valve wasn't needed. Pulling from the top of the first chamber removes all the bubbles in the main chamber and gives more room for more media as a bonus. Extremely easy to do. I bought mine used about 10yrs ago, still using the iwaki recirc pump on it.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any photos you could post about these mods @tango0102 @ca1ore ?
I’ve had mine about 4 years and just moved, since the move I’m getting air in the chamber as the siphon method isn’t working anymore. Suggestions on how you guys did the mod / a feed pump or gph needed to flow through would be great.

Thank you both

touchstone88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any photos you could post about these mods @tango0102 @ca1ore ?
I’ve had mine about 4 years and just moved, since the move I’m getting air in the chamber as the siphon method isn’t working anymore. Suggestions on how you guys did the mod / a feed pump or gph needed to flow through would be great.

Thank you both

Sorry to interject, the siphon method is currently problematic to me too.

http://reef.diesyst.com/crarticle/crarticle.htm

From the sump through the Minical and back I've about 3' head pressure-more or less- the article suggests a mj1200. U.S. Plastic Corp is pretty great

image034.jpg

"2009, JDieck"

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to interject, the siphon method is currently problematic to me too.

http://reef.diesyst.com/crarticle/crarticle.htm

From the sump through the Minical and back I've about 3' head pressure-more or less- the article suggests a mj1200. U.S. Plastic Corp is pretty great

image034.jpg

"2009, JDieck"

Very good! Is this working well for you? I only have 1’ of head but it seems that the sponge creates some issues with the siphon. I’ve thought about taking it out and replacing it with some food grade screen.

touchstone88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good! Is this working well for you? I only have 1’ of head but it seems that the sponge creates some issues with the siphon. I’ve thought about taking it out and replacing it with some food grade screen.

It seems most with the MTC reactors end up using a feed pump for peace of mind- though I haven't modified my Cobalt- not sure the siphon is hopeless just yet. Far as I've figured- so long as the CaRx sits lower than the siphon line, that the same isn't receiving microbubbles and theres no leak or obstruction etc., then it should work: rather than food grade screen- nylon mesh socks with the cinch-string always worked well for me in safeguarding the intake or output of pumps or the like. Though a screen strainer sounds as effective.

For what its worth, installing a #13 flow meter was one of the most helpful mods I made to my Minical- @evmibo !
Most will say its a waste of money, just use a stopwatch and Solo cup- but the flowmeter makes life easier

As you mentioned- between the sponge and Ca media I imagine head pressure is increased so a mj1200 sounds about right. I have my Minical dripping slowly- the valve barely open.
When time allows I'll certainly use the mj1200 to feed the CaRx- and you bet i'll just wrap the pump in a nylon sock and voila :)

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 24.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back