1   0   0
Thank you everyone!

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of in wall u should go peninsula with the short end up against the wall. You have the room to extend the tank out into that basement. I always loved the 3 sided view. Plus then u have both sides of the rock work for coral real estate.
Tanks like that are pretty neat I must say!

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the new house! It looks like a beautiful place to call your own!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you everyone for the kind comments. It took a long time for us to prepare to buy our own home and we wanted it to be the last one. We've had our ups and downs but God has been good to us.

Now about the tank.

I love the peninsula tanks but I've always wanted a tank where I could spill stuff! HAHA! One I don't have to really worry about the floor!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the industrial dehumidifier I used about 3 of them in my basement when I had several thousand gallons of SPS and fish there.:)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could you guys go ahead and give me some ideas on a industrial humidifier?

I'm pretty confident I am going to build a room around the tank. That whole work room area is heated and cooled so I will run duct to the tank room. Y'all see a problem with that?

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, Congratulations on your beautiful new home! As for your tank, one thing you should seriously consider is tank location relative to living space. Over the years I have had some pretty sweet set-ups, both salt and fresh, but many times I was limited on space and they were not ideally located for viewing. This resulted in me not really getting much enjoyment out of them. I would make sure the room you put your tank in is a center of activity. If you don't think you'll be spending a lot of time in the basement, you might want to consider going smaller in an upstairs room where you will be able to really enjoy it. It may sound stupid, but I have found that out of sight out of mind comes into play as well. Unfortunately, that can sometimes lead to an occasional lack of proper maintenance.

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to charge you more for a premium membership....hehe

You are buying THAT house and designing a dream tank and you think you need to charge more?? Lol [emoji12]

As for your original question, I think pretty much everything has been covered so I'm not gong to repeat, but what about a back up genny? If you have a natural gas line, I'd highly recommend a whole house unit run off of that. Mine kicks on within 30 sec of any power interruption. They may or may not be common where you live, but you never know what's going to hit these days of chaotic weather. At minimum get a small portable genny and have it wired up to the circuits the fish tank runs off of so you can pull that out of the shed as needed. $1,000 for that option which is a drop in the bucket of what it will save on that system.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First of all, Congratulations on your beautiful new home! As for your tank, one thing you should seriously consider is tank location relative to living space. Over the years I have had some pretty sweet set-ups, both salt and fresh, but many times I was limited on space and they were not ideally located for viewing. This resulted in me not really getting much enjoyment out of them. I would make sure the room you put your tank in is a center of activity. If you don't think you'll be spending a lot of time in the basement, you might want to consider going smaller in an upstairs room where you will be able to really enjoy it. It may sound stupid, but I have found that out of sight out of mind comes into play as well. Unfortunately, that can sometimes lead to an occasional lack of proper maintenance.

Great points!! This is definitely being considered as there are a couple other options.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are buying THAT house and designing a dream tank and you think you need to charge more?? Lol [emoji12]

As for your original question, I think pretty much everything has been covered so I'm not gong to repeat, but what about a back up genny? If you have a natural gas line, I'd highly recommend a whole house unit run off of that. Mine kicks on within 30 sec of any power interruption. They may or may not be common where you live, but you never know what's going to hit these days of chaotic weather. At minimum get a small portable genny and have it wired up to the circuits the fish tank runs off of so you can pull that out of the shed as needed. $1,000 for that option which is a drop in the bucket of what it will save on that system.

Well I don't have to pay for the house all at once that let me make payments! :) Plus the cost of living is low where I am at and houses are not as expensive as many places in the country. Plus the guy I was talking about has a Ferrari! Ha!

Also if I wasn't in the industry I couldn't put together a system like I am talking about. I can get a few deals....;)

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you guys go ahead and give me some ideas on a industrial humidifier?

I'm pretty confident I am going to build a room around the tank. That whole work room area is heated and cooled so I will run duct to the tank room. Y'all see a problem with that?
If connecting to your main central AC system, you may not need separate humidity control for the room or one not as big as you might be thinking.
I didn't need it when I built my little 7'x9' room in my garage. We ran a duct from the main system (direct from the air handler) and we installed a return as well.
I would talk to an HVAC person first and see what they say.

i-9RsBszL.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've got two brothers in laws in that industry! :)

Also I was thinking I could run duct to the room and then just use a smaller dehumidifier in that room and send the water to the drain.

Mr. Saltwater doesn't live too far from me so I was thinking about calling him up to make a trip over! :)

If connecting to your main central AC system, you may not need separate humidity control for the room or one not as big as you might be thinking.
I didn't need it when I built my little 7'x9' room in my garage. We ran a duct from the main system (direct from the air handler) and we installed a return as well.
I would talk to an HVAC person first and see what they say.

i-9RsBszL.jpg

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I was thinking I could run duct to the room and then just use a smaller dehumidifier in that room and send the water to the drain.
Ya, this is what I was thinking.
When I had everything in the open garage, i really needed to run one. It would pull like 5g a day. If I didn't use it all my tools would rust over. lol
Then when I built the room and had air being pushed in and pulled out, I didn't need it. I never measured the humidity but I live in Houston... i know what humidity feels like. ;)
That room stayed pretty dry.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 44 43.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 50 49.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.9%

Back