OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful :star-struck: Your male melanospilos is getting pretty big!

How does everyone like the high flow and how do you manage to keep your sand from blowing around even with medium flow down there?

Thank you. The fish so well with the flow, and the corals are loving it. As for the sand, it doesn’t move because it’s weighted down by bacteria. Plus, the way the rocks are placed and position of the pumps, it doesn’t allow for too much flow on the sandbed, at least not enough to disturb it.

-Sonny

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I dose daily, 10ML on about 180gl of volume. Its less than the recommended amount but works out well for my system. I do not turn off my skimmer.
@SunnyX Per Brightwell the recommended dose is 1ml daily for 50 gallons on a low nutrient system (see below). If my math is correct, your dosing (according to Brightwell) should be roughly more or less 3.5 ml per day. You are way exceeding that, not less according to above.

With that being said, I'm not calling you out or saying your statement above is wrong as clearly you have a complete understanding of this, I'm just trying to follow your methods and I am trying to figure out why the discrepancy? Or, how you came to the reason you dose 10ml per day? Thanks!

Per Brightwell's website:

Stable, Low-nutrient Systems:
To maintain a low concentration of available nutrients in all marine and freshwater aquaria, 5 ml (1 capful) of MicrōBacter7 per 50 US-gallons (189.3 L) [≈2 drops per gallon (3.8 L)] of aquarium water no more than once each week; alternately, add 1 ml per 50 US-gallons daily (or 1 ml per 25 US-gallons every other day). Turn protein skimming and UV-sterilization off for a period of 4 hours following addition to aquaria. Dosage may be adjusted according to perceived benefit to aquarium, however it is recommended that the dosage not exceed 1 ml per 25 US-gallons per day. With time, hobbyists may determine that decreasing the dosage and/or dosing frequency by up to 50% sufficiently maintains a low-nutrient environment. During changes in biological filtration or when increasing the aquarium bioload, dose 1 ml per 25 US-gallons daily for one week, then resume “low-nutrient” dosage.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX Per Brightwell the recommended dose is 1ml daily for 50 gallons on a low nutrient system (see below). If my math is correct, your dosing (according to Brightwell) should be roughly more or less 3.5 ml per day. You are way exceeding that, not less according to above.

With that being said, I'm not calling you out or saying your statement above is wrong as clearly you have a complete understanding of this, I'm just trying to follow your methods and I am trying to figure out why the discrepancy? Or, how you came to the reason you dose 10ml per day? Thanks!

Per Brightwell's website:

Stable, Low-nutrient Systems:
To maintain a low concentration of available nutrients in all marine and freshwater aquaria, 5 ml (1 capful) of MicrōBacter7 per 50 US-gallons (189.3 L) [≈2 drops per gallon (3.8 L)] of aquarium water no more than once each week; alternately, add 1 ml per 50 US-gallons daily (or 1 ml per 25 US-gallons every other day). Turn protein skimming and UV-sterilization off for a period of 4 hours following addition to aquaria. Dosage may be adjusted according to perceived benefit to aquarium, however it is recommended that the dosage not exceed 1 ml per 25 US-gallons per day. With time, hobbyists may determine that decreasing the dosage and/or dosing frequency by up to 50% sufficiently maintains a low-nutrient environment. During changes in biological filtration or when increasing the aquarium bioload, dose 1 ml per 25 US-gallons daily for one week, then resume “low-nutrient” dosage.

Hello,

That was a mistype. It should have read 10 DROPS and not ML.

I have since moved over to Zeobak, and am dosing it twice per week, six drops each dosage.

I will update my dosing here shortly as some of it has changed.

-Sonny

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you start the bacteria dosing from the initial setup of the system?
Yes. If the system is brand new, add the bacteria as directed but hold off on adding a carbon source until months down the road, until you have gone through all of the cycles and the system is growing corals.

-Sonny

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sunny- The tank looks great and its good to see you up and running again. Have you got any of your old classics in the tank? PC Rainbow?, Sunny's Sunset Millie? As always you sharing your techniques and knowledge is appreciated.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, less than a year old and May need to upgrade to a larger setup or start to seriously frag this tank up. The growth is great, but it is becoming a tough to keep the original design and layout due to everything growing into each other.

I’m looking to setup a frag tank and weighing my options.

1031F2BD-B431-41F0-A736-64377FC94E7B.jpeg

KENNYSREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX - Love the tank! I'm actually about to get another tank, but I want a peninsula but don't have the correct room/living room or area to use it a room divider.

How do you manage the keep the back glass so spotless if it's against the wall?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, less than a year old and May need to upgrade to a larger setup or start to seriously frag this tank up. The growth is great, but it is becoming a tough to keep the original design and layout due to everything growing into each other.

NIce growth, you have the magic touch with SPS! Thought about just letting it grow wild? I just let everything fight it out and end up with a crazy wild jungle.

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX do you recall how much KP rock you ordered? Your tank is inspirational! I’m in the process of setting up a peninsula and like the way you aquascaped and I want to use ocean sourced live rock.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

well your struggle would be my dream ;)

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Roughly the same dimensions on my new tank, I have 3 XR30 G6 coming. Regarding orientation, based on your best guess, parallel or perpendicular to the tank? Should I add a 4th? (goal being to minimize disco effect). Always loved your tanks --I think I recall them from RC days.

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi!

I have had a few people ask about the Radion schedule and will have my template uploaded sometime today so that you will have exactly what I have setup. It is similar to the AB+ but with quite a bit more warm and cool white.

As for the photos, I set the lights to 100% on all channels with 100% intensity.

-Sonny

Took a look at your website, but cannot figure out how to upload it to mobius (or view your schedule). Amazing looking tank!

edit for others: download his schedule onto phone. Templates > hit the + to add his template.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX - Love the tank! I'm actually about to get another tank, but I want a peninsula but don't have the correct room/living room or area to use it a room divider.

How do you manage the keep the back glass so spotless if it's against the wall?
Thank you. I simply use a long arm scrapper to keep it clean, and I’m tall.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX do you recall how much KP rock you ordered? Your tank is inspirational! I’m in the process of setting up a peninsula and like the way you aquascaped and I want to use ocean sourced live rock.
Hello and thank you. 15lbs worth seeded the entire system. I kept the rock in the sump to catch a couple mantis shrimp.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughly the same dimensions on my new tank, I have 3 XR30 G6 coming. Regarding orientation, based on your best guess, parallel or perpendicular to the tank? Should I add a 4th? (goal being to minimize disco effect). Always loved your tanks --I think I recall them from RC days.
Hello,

I would run them parallel. To cut out the disco effect completely and increase the spread I would add the diffusers. I run them and they work very well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back