OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphoning out when removing can be effective. Rich also mentions using a Marineland polishing filter in tank when cleaning to catch and remove debris that's floating in the water. I don't think high nutrients are the issue, if they are actually as low as you are testing. Plenty of tanks have algae issues with high and low nutrients, and plenty of tanks that have high or low nutrients don't have algae issues. It's simply ecology - there's nothing competing with the algae so it thrives.
For the siphoning though I can only siphon out the water when I do a water change right? I tried siphoning the water with algae into a bucket through a filter so only the water goes into the bucket and then put the water back into the tank, but problem is the water was disgustingly brown and looked really gross and I was scared to put it in the tank.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your current husbandry methods aren't working, I'd recommend trying to listen to the reef beef podcast. As someone that's only been in the hobby a couple years, I've learned a lot from listening to these two guys bs with each other. They have a ton of experience. Just a thought, you might find a more successful approach.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS just put out a pretty good video of a guy at MACNA I think talking all about algae. Watch it. Your tank needs something to compete with the algae. And it needs you to take away the algae’s headstart. Mow the algae down . Add inverts. This is the way
Ill try. Its so hard to not make the algae float around when I clean though, I tried catching the floating algae in a ziploc bag but it didnt work of course.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS just put out a pretty good video of a guy at MACNA I think talking all about algae. Watch it. Your tank needs something to compete with the algae. And it needs you to take away the algae’s headstart. Mow the algae down . Add inverts. This is the way
That was the one I posted earlier in this thread. The guy is Rich Ross, he used to work at the steinhart aquarium, and had bred cephalopods and is now working on breeding corals. Guy knows his stuff.

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skimmer (reef octo), Ive never heard of gfo though.
I changed my filter socks a few months ago
The filter socks are swapped out every week. Remove the ones from the sump and put your second set in. Rinse the dirty socks and place in 2.5 gallon bucket with super hot water and add 1/4 cup of bleach. Agitate the socks let them sit for two or three hours. Rinse the sock thoroughly with tap water and let dry. Before you swap these back into service rinse them again in the bucket with some RO water.

This is my routine for my Red Sea 525xl.

IMG_0703.JPG

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your current husbandry methods aren't working, I'd recommend trying to listen to the reef beef podcast. As someone that's only been in the hobby a couple years, I've learned a lot from listening to these two guys bs with each other. They have a ton of experience. Just a thought, you might find a more successful approach.
sounds fun, i will definitely listen.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill need to get this tank back in shape and spotless with corals by June or my parents will sell it. Im going to try slowly one by one cleaning the rocks over time, but im a bit confused because some people are saying to do that and others are saying this tank needs a rip clean. I dont know what to do

ckuhny3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill need to get this tank back in shape and spotless with corals by June or my parents will sell it. Im going to try slowly one by one cleaning the rocks over time, but im a bit confused because some people are saying to do that and others are saying this tank needs a rip clean. I dont know what to do
If you do the “rip clean” just have everything prepared 110% before you start and wake up early as hell that day. Plan on it being one day and one day only . Don’t give yourself the option of leaving your fish in a bucket for multiple days.

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from this silly "rip clean" idea. It screams of being a highly disruptive event to the balance/biology of your tank.

Remember - <everything> good in a reef happens slowly. You need to up your export game; install an algae scrubber, or use GFO, or setup a refugium.

Take a look at how much and what you're feeding. Do one or two 25% water changes per week, doing a manual algae removal while you do so.

It took you months to get to this point, it will take you months to get back to a nicer tank. (If you want to do it without risking serious long term consequences)

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do the “rip clean” just have everything prepared 110% before you start and wake up early as hell that day. Plan on it being one day and one day only . Don’t give yourself the option of leaving your fish in a bucket for multiple days.
I dont know. I need this tank spotless by June or my parents will sell it. I wanted to do the rip clean because I can have it over with in one or two days. Do you think that the list I had on the first page was good enough steps? I asked brandon one or two days ago and he hasnt replied with his advice yet so i thought id ask in a new post for the opinions of others

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did a rip clean on my tank (13 gallons) I ended up getting a cheap dollar store serrated knife to scrape the algae off the rocks. Then I treated the spots with peroxide. My algae wasn't nearly as bad as this but my tank was dying. Corals looked sick and I was about to throw in the towel. Rip clean saved my tank from crashing.
20220607_184656.jpg

This was 3 days after the rip clean.
BlueLightsday3.jpg

All I did was:
* rinse the sandbed until crystal clear.
* scraped algae off with a dollar store knife and peroxide treated the spots I scraped.
* Cleaned the tank/equipment with vinegar and then rinse with RO water
* Put in brand new water

Now I have other issues right now but my corals for the most part are happy and I am upgrading to a different tank soon.

It's still a rats nest but I can get enjoyment out of it now.

Attachments

• 1674262985880.jpeg
    1674262985880.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from this silly "rip clean" idea. It screams of being a highly disruptive event to the balance/biology of your tank.

Remember - <everything> good in a reef happens slowly. You need to up your export game; install an algae scrubber, or use GFO, or setup a refugium.

Take a look at how much and what you're feeding. Do one or two 25% water changes per week, doing a manual algae removal while you do so.

It took you months to get to this point, it will take you months to get back to a nicer tank. (If you want to do it without risking serious long term consequences)
By algae scrubber do you mean the magnetic ones you put one in the inside and outside of the tank and scrape the glass? I have 2 of those, and Im planning on setting up a 5 gallon refugium too. Im a bit confused on plumbing it but ill do some more research.
I defintely was overfeeding from the start, I was dumb and thought that my fish were starving because they were always swimming at the top when i approached the tank lol.
I have been feeding every other day now and I make sure not to feed too much

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby :grinning-face-with-sweat: Seriously there are many ways people do things differently to get to the same result. I feel like you’re just going to have to find someone you trust and try to copy their methods. I loved listening to reef therapy with Jake Adams. The point is, pick a path and try it. It may or may not work for you.
I do think you need to get aggressive with the rock cleaning and filtration.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did a rip clean on my tank (13 gallons) I ended up getting a cheap dollar store serrated knife to scrape the algae off the rocks. Then I treated the spots with peroxide. My algae wasn't nearly as bad as this but my tank was dying. Corals looked sick and I was about to throw in the towel. Rip clean saved my tank from crashing.
20220607_184656.jpg

This was 3 days after the rip clean.
BlueLightsday3.jpg

All I did was:
* rinse the sandbed until crystal clear.
* scraped algae off with a dollar store knife and peroxide treated the spots I scraped.
* Cleaned the tank/equipment with vinegar and then rinse with RO water
* Put in brand new water

Now I have other issues right now but my corals for the most part are happy and I am upgrading to a different tank soon.

It's still a rats nest but I can get enjoyment out of it now.
Did you change your tank maintenance routine after you rip cleaned your tank?

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you change your tank maintenance routine after you rip cleaned your tank?
I just did the same weekly water changes that I always did.

I suspect my tank nearly crashed was due to the chemical warfare I launched on the algae and it created a nasty cocktail where I needed to hit the reset switch. I don't use chemicals anymore and I just continue to manually pull out algae when I can.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so confused. people are saying not to do the rip clean, that itll kill my tank but at the same time im getting perfect stories of how the rip clean saved their tank. Guys I dont know what to do.

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so confused. people are saying not to do the rip clean, that itll kill my tank but at the same time im getting perfect stories of how the rip clean saved their tank. Guys I dont know what to do.

I think at a minimum and I don't think anybody would argue this, but if you remove the rocks and scrape all that algae off and clean the sandbed you should be fine.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think at a minimum and I don't think anybody would argue this, but if you remove the rocks and scrape all that algae off and clean the sandbed you should be fine.
how do i clean the sandbed without clouding the tank and killing everything? I have impossible to reach areas of the tank

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back