OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you test your tank for nitrates and phosphates? Look into running gfo in a reactor or just go pick up some media bags and put it in a high flow area after rinsing it.
I do test them, my phosphates of course show up as 0, and so do my nitrates.
I have a phosphate reactor but it isnt currently running. I had trouble that after I replaced the carbon inside it made the water super black every time i dumped it out and put it back in

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say changing, im assuming you mean to buy a bunch of new ones and replace them? The red sea ones that actually fit are expensive
It’s best to have at least two for each sock used. That way you can change them out. Clean the used one very well and then 2-3 days later repeat

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a good video with Rich Ross talking about algae. He uses a term called benthic succession, which describes how various microflora and micro fauna colonize the rocks in our tanks when we first establish them.

thanks ill watch it

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was all beaten by manual removal and cleanup crew, water change, and making sure all parameters are in check!... You need to make sure you're twisting it in the brush to prevent it from floating away... Last pic is the tank now... Don't mind the dirty glass, but 0 algae and coral/fish are thriving.
PXL_20230121_003949660~2.jpg

PXL_20230121_003958130.jpg

PXL_20230118_173407982.jpg

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s best to have at least two for each sock used. That way you can change them out. Clean the used one very well and then 2-3 days later repeat
what method do you use to clean them? I tried just blasting them with water to get out the loose stuff but it takes forever using my fingers to pluck out the bits of algae and poop in them. I tried putting them in the drier too and nothing

ckuhny3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is unbalanced. All I’m saying is ripping everything out and putting chemicals on it is not the road I would take. I would add 25 trochus snails and watch them go to town after I mow it down every day . But you know what is best for your tank ✌️

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would the algae grow back even if I use hydrogen peroxide?

Unless something else covers the surface, like Coraline algae or coral, I would think so. You're not going to keep bare surfaces long in a reef tank. It's about getting the things you want to cover the surfaces instead.

I'd suggest taking out one rock at a time to clean each surface as much as you can, and getting more herbivores. I've had good luck with tuxedo urchins. Saltwater acclimated mollies can be cheap, easy to find, and effective. Or other herbivorous reef safe fish that you'd want to keep.

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the ability to have a refugium? That will compete for the nutrients the algae needs and should also help starve it

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was all beaten by manual removal and cleanup crew, water change, and making sure all parameters are in check!... You need to make sure you're twisting it in the brush to prevent it from floating away... Last pic is the tank now... Don't mind the dirty glass, but 0 algae and coral/fish are thriving.
PXL_20230121_003949660~2.jpg

PXL_20230121_003958130.jpg

PXL_20230118_173407982.jpg
what do you mean "twisting it in the brush to prevent it from floating away"? It always floats away for me, even when I simply move my hand by near it

ckuhny3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what method do you use to clean them? I tried just blasting them with water to get out the loose stuff but it takes forever using my fingers to pluck out the bits of algae and poop in them. I tried putting them in the drier too and nothing
Put them inside out and run them on HOT and HAND WASH in your washer with NO detergent. Then run another rinse cycle to fully get out any detergent from old wash cycles. Then let air dry.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got away from filter socks because of this. I got filter cups and use poly fill. Think stuffing for pillows and teddy bears…. I replace the poly fill daily. It’s $3.50 for a big bag at hobby lobby and lasts me for several weeks.
As for cleaning socks, I personally used a pressure washer outside. I would pull the socks inside out and spray them off. In the winter I would just use the sink with the spray nozzle.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the ability to have a refugium? That will compete for the nutrients the algae needs and should also help starve it
I can maybe get one yeah, I can maybe have room for up to a 5 gallon one in my sump if i move stuff around. Would that work? I also have some spare flucanazole (enough for 100 gallons) should I start using that?

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put them inside out and run them on HOT and HAND WASH in your washer with NO detergent. Then run another rinse cycle to fully get out any detergent from old wash cycles. Then let air dry.
Thanks so much ill use this method today when I remove the socks

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got away from filter socks because of this. I got filter cups and use poly fill. Think stuffing for pillows and teddy bears…. I replace the poly fill daily. It’s $3.50 for a big bag at hobby lobby and lasts me for several weeks.
As for cleaning socks, I personally used a pressure washer outside. I would pull the socks inside out and spray them off. In the winter I would just use the sink with the spray nozzle.
Thanks! I tried turning them inside out before but one of the socks is super thick and hard to clean, but luckilythe other is really thin and I can clean it really quickly.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you mean "twisting it in the brush to prevent it from floating away"? It always floats away for me, even when I simply move my hand by near it
Siphoning out when removing can be effective. Rich also mentions using a Marineland polishing filter in tank when cleaning to catch and remove debris that's floating in the water. I don't think high nutrients are the issue, if they are actually as low as you are testing. Plenty of tanks have algae issues with high and low nutrients, and plenty of tanks that have high or low nutrients don't have algae issues. It's simply ecology - there's nothing competing with the algae so it thrives.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your aquascape looks like you’d almost be able to do this one rock at a time over a long period . The shock to your livestock would be way less
I could probably yeah, but im just worried that the algae will grow on the rock again and after im done with all the rocks, it will have grown on the first one again

ckuhny3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could probably yeah, but im just worried that the algae will grow on the rock again and after im done with all the rocks, it will have grown on the first one again
BRS just put out a pretty good video of a guy at MACNA I think talking all about algae. Watch it. Your tank needs something to compete with the algae. And it needs you to take away the algae’s headstart. Mow the algae down . Add inverts. This is the way

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back