Ritteri care

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody, I have really been wanting a ritteri anemone, it would be the only thing in the tank, so I’m not worried about it stinging corals, I was just wondering about care level, such as nitrate levels and stuff like that, my tank is a 20 gallon long, currently keep a healthy Rbta in it, but If I get a ritteri I would rehome or return it, I’m just wondering about care for them.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is way too small for a one. The care is the same as any other nem but they need a ton of light

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's on the small side for a ritteri, they could cover the entire tank. Care-wise, it's the same as Acropora strong lighting, high flow, and very stable conditions.

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is too small. I would recommend at least a 46/50 gallon 36 by 18 tank. Otherwise, wide based rock for it to attach, lots of pulsing flow and light as stated above. They will eat a lot when growing or large.

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way it would fit in there? maybe by readjusting the rockwork?if it truly is too small then I won’t do it, I just really want a ritteri and I can’t upgrade to a bigger tank due to size restrictions.

Last edited:

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way it would fit in there? maybe by readjusting the rockwork?if it truly is too small then I won’t do it, I just really want a ritteri and I can’t upgrade to a bigger tank due to size restrictions.
No there’s no way to work around it.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly in my experience they don’t grow fast. And if you don’t feed them then perfect. Just maintain stable parameters and random strong water flow, strong lights and your good. See my journal.

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly in my experience they don’t grow fast. And if you don’t feed them then perfect. Just maintain stable parameters and random strong water flow, strong lights and your good. See my journal.
Sorry I’m not sure how to view a journal, I’m new here, could you help me out? And are you saying as long as I don’t feed it I can keep it in a 20g long?

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent you a PM. Yes I personally believe you can keep it in as long as you keep up with parameters. I mean a 5 gal bucket water change is more than 25% (depends on how much rock can water) already and easy to do weekly. That is all I would do for parameter control. Strong light and random water flow. Easy with today’s available equipment. Pair with two clowns.

Lots of people have kept large anemones long term in nano tanks. I remember the nano cube/bio cube days.

But I don’t recommend you try if you are new to reefing and don’t understand the basics. And magnifica is one of the harder anemones. The nice thing is that it will leave you room to upgrade as time goes on.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.. I wouldn't recommend one long term. I guess it's fine to keep one for a few months w/the intention of upgrading eventually. People talk about the mag outgrowing the tank (which is true!) but there's also the problem of tank stability. A nano is a lot harder to keep stable, and a mag, even an established one, needs stable conditions to thrive. (With BTA's, you can get away with a lot more)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A ritteri ( mag) will for sure grow bigger than the tank has length to support it .

mine was 26” dia before I re homed it .

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back