RO/DI system questions

Sharkbait whohaha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a RO/DI system that the filters were bad in and I just upgraded to a new system with new filters. The question I have is, the two tanks I have (125gal with 75gal sump and a 90gal with a 25gal sump) have been running for about 6 months with my TDS at 180. Can I do water changes with the new system with a TDS of zero or do I do a complete water change. Also after I get this all turned around , will I notice a difference in the tanks?

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would probably get better answers in the correct section of the forum ask a moderator to move it

I would also recommend slowly acclimating your tank to new water quality start with small 20 percent (or less) water changes then do more as you go up to 50 i would recommend unless you have some sort of issue like disease or pests

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to......Oh wait, nevermind.

I would just stick to a regular water change schedule. I do 20 percent every other week as per the directions on my bucket of instant ocean salt.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes will help, but you'll always have some left-over "stuff" that route. To eliminate it, you would first have to know what is in there. An ICP test (Triton, etc.) is likely the most accurate an economical way to identify what is high (if anything - there likely is something). I'd suggest that for sure. There are numerous "detox" solutions for various elements and such that you could use in addition to the water changes, but you'll want to use those only after knowing what you're looking to remove.
Unless you do a full tank tear-down and replace all your rock and sand with new, there will likely be some remaining stuff no matter what you do. I wouldn't worry overly much until/unless you are experiencing issues such as diatom or algae blooms that you can't easily contain with water changes and/or a good CUC. Using cleaner water going forward will only help your tank. As with all water changes, just be sure to match salinity and temp.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some but not too bad.
Tho icp testing offers the best understanding of how to move forward from here I know plenty have been in your shoes before icp. weekly water changes is my advice second to icp testing. the percentage of WC would be decided somewhere between eyeballing the severity and the price willing to pay for piece of mind. nothing less then 10 percent a week or a bulk series of 20-50% this is where peace of mind will decide and is varied per user. Keep us updated on any persisting problems after a few of those WC and the more info about your info the better! like these
Flow:
Basic water perameters like ph,nitrates etc.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not having any issues at the moment i would just continue with water changes as done in the past. Perhaps moderately increasing the volume of them, instead of 15% do 20%. If no inhabitants have been affected yet, they have been living in high tds for awhile(your membranes didnt fail over night) that a rapid fix isnt needed. Slowly diluting and removing small amounts should be sufficient to get back to nsw numbers after a given amount of time, without shocking your system or requiring investment in media to remove contaminates. Imo anyway.

OP
OP
Sharkbait whohaha

Sharkbait whohaha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not having any issues at the moment i would just continue with water changes as done in the past. Perhaps moderately increasing the volume of them, instead of 15% do 20%. If no inhabitants have been affected yet, they have been living in high tds for awhile(your membranes didnt fail over night) that a rapid fix isnt needed. Slowly diluting and removing small amounts should be sufficient to get back to nsw numbers after a given amount of time, without shocking your system or requiring investment in media to remove contaminates. Imo anyway.

This is what I’m planning for right now. All fish are healthy and fat with no signs of anything wrong. I’ve had the two tanks setup for over a year with some outbreaks of algae but I get a handle on it right away. Thanks for the advice.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tho icp testing offers the best understanding of how to move forward from here I know plenty have been in your shoes before icp. weekly water changes is my advice second to icp testing. the percentage of WC would be decided somewhere between eyeballing the severity and the price willing to pay for piece of mind. nothing less then 10 percent a week or a bulk series of 20-50% this is where peace of mind will decide and is varied per user. Keep us updated on any persisting problems after a few of those WC and the more info about your info the better! like these
Flow:
Basic water perameters like ph,nitrates etc.
Wish I could edit but I meant to say the more info on your TANK the better haha

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 148 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back