Reef370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I need parts man!
Ok well, since it only takes you overnight to get them...
giphy.gif

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone! Going to post an obnoxiously long video here shortly. Skip it if you don't have 10 minutes or so or don't care about auto top off systems. Not everyone needs them. But that's what this will be about.

Long story short I alluded a few posts ago I was working on this concept and it's finally come together and with the inclusion of a few mistakes (if you're not ******* up, you're not learning) this is really working out as I had hoped. Few things that aren't in the video that I hope to address eventually are an emergency drain from my sump to the floor so when everything goes south I may nuke my tank but I don't have to drywall my entire basement over again. Hey, someone had to get thrown under the bus, you pick and choose lol. I wish I had the editing staff @Bulk Reef Supply does for these videos. There's are so well done. But I love their rodi system and here it is in action.

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add, the spectrapure system is cheaper than the tunze and comes with a float valve as well. If you total the value of what you get and the functionality it beats the pants off the tunze. Tunze wins for style and mounting options however. Ironically in the end I'm using both as the tunze can't meet bulk storage requirements and ultimately I'm controlling water levels in two separate containers (ATO and sump). While I could employ two spectrapure's I feel for how I'm trying to control water level in my sump tunze better addresses this. I feel spectrapure is very under represented in general conversations out there and really has some outstanding solutions at a very competitive price.

Reef370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone! Going to post an obnoxiously long video here shortly. Skip it if you don't have 10 minutes or so or don't care about auto top off systems. Not everyone needs them. But that's what this will be about.

Long story short I alluded a few posts ago I was working on this concept and it's finally come together and with the inclusion of a few mistakes (if you're not ******* up, you're not learning) this is really working out as I had hoped. Few things that aren't in the video that I hope to address eventually are an emergency drain from my sump to the floor so when everything goes south I may nuke my tank but I don't have to drywall my entire basement over again. Hey, someone had to get thrown under the bus, you pick and choose lol. I wish I had the editing staff @Bulk Reef Supply does for these videos. There's are so well done. But I love their rodi system and here it is in action.

Man I was so hoping the duck was going to shoot water out of his mouth!!! Hahaha

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a similar solenoid setup for my RODI for the first minute or two after the call for water is tripped, been working great for over a year now. Never have to think about it and my 50 gallon barrel is always full.

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20201008_025719983.MP.jpg
Figured out how to put my T5's on a dimmable schedule via the apex tonight.
Screenshot_20201007-215919~2.png

I'll reserve my opinion on this app for now.

Screenshot_20201007-220151.png

I'm pretty excited to see my T5's ramping down, it's why I spent the extra $$ and it's been a long time coming. Super satisfied!

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Excited to see this system! Been busy and haven’t found the 10 minutes to watch this yet though because I’m a terrible monster person. I’ll make sure to watch it tomorrow!

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my salinity and pH probes hooked up. So nice to monitor this real time.
Screenshot_20201008-162453.png

Screenshot_20201008-155852.png

I don't have my Vortech's plugged into by energy bars but everything else I'm running the tank with that draws power is. It's cool too see the wattage draw for the T5's dip as it ramps down. Where was all this cool **** in 2001?! Lol

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the box, while I love tropic Marin pro, it's literally on the nose with regards to pH, alk and ca levels. While this is fine in most cases, I'm after a ph more in the 8.1 - 8.2 range and 8+ dkh and 450 ca. Based on my previous reefing experience, kalkwasser does an amazing job at adding calcium and alkalinity in equal parts as well as buffering pH, without the salinity creep! Having verified my pH initially, it was right at 7.8 and 24 hours after dosing from the Avast Marine kalk stirrer, my pH is right at 8.2! I love how predictable this stuff is. My alk tested at 8 and ca 450. I'll monitor these closely over the next week to learn how my tank consumes these as is.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Man this looks like a great system! The rubber ducky modification was a must.........fate new what you needed to make a truly bad butt system! Well done man!

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this looks like a great system! The rubber ducky modification was a must.........fate new what you needed to make a truly bad butt system! Well done man!
Yeah, I've made plenty of mistakes putting this together. However, I expected I would. Sometimes you just gotta have fun and roll with the punches, that's where rubber ducks come in!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting on a couple fittings and valves for my RODI plumbing cuz I can't do any water project without ordering everything I need the first time.

And Yet I guarantee that you'll have missed something and need to make a second order ;Smuggrin ;)

Blah blah blah... just show us the video already!!! Hahaha!!!

I know right! He types WAYYY too much:oops:

because I’m a terrible monster person.

Atleast you can admit to it ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Yet I guarantee that you'll have missed something and need to make a second order ;Smuggrin ;)

I know right! He types WAYYY too much:oops:

Atleast you can admit to it ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious
Yes @JoshH I'm the worst at brevity lol. I'm trying to do more videos, n appreciate honest feedback on those. Genuinely trying to show details and help those out there trying to solve similar issues. Appreciate your feedback as always!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes @JoshH I'm the worst at brevity lol. I'm trying to do more videos, n appreciate honest feedback on those. Genuinely trying to show details and help those out there trying to solve similar issues. Appreciate your feedback as always!

I was being sarcastic lol I have really enjoyed reading through every detailed step in your build thus far and it's really great to see your thoughts all laid out on things which will definitely help those starting new builds though the process themselves. It's so nice to see life in the tank and things coming together for you as they have been.:) Keep up the good work and keep those videos rolling in!

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was being sarcastic lol I have really enjoyed reading through every detailed step in your build thus far and it's really great to see your thoughts all laid out on things which will definitely help those starting new builds though the process themselves. It's so nice to see life in the tank and things coming together for you as they have been.:) Keep up the good work and keep those videos rolling in!
Awesome, maybe I'll figure out a way to get my girlfriend involved in future videos. Likely that idea will just get me banned haha

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! More progress this morning, I finally have lights over my tank! There are more details to finish yet such as stops on the ends of the track and tidy up extra cable length on mounting wires etc but it's basically in place. I will be adding kessil 360's to these lights eventually as well. Ultimately there will be a floating hood covering these up. Let me know what you think. Short video at the end here showing how these work.

PXL_20201003_152145207.MP.jpg

Same picture but removed some of the blue
PXL_20201003_152114261.MP~2.jpg

Side view
PXL_20201003_152129347.MP.jpg

Filtered
PXL_20201003_152129347.MP~2.jpg

Lights moved off the aquarium
PXL_20201003_152224871.MP~2.jpg

Short video of how the mounts work.

Love the track idea, I am sure it will come in very handle.

Reef370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t!! Hahahahah

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back