OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checking in, been kinda quiet lately with the holidays and life in general. Hope everyone had a great Christmas holiday and your new year is fun and safe! Pretty much gonna coast the tank into the new year lol.

Been playing with and learning my tank parameters and understanding CO2 and my tank along with alk and Ca. Learning a lot, and am able to steer things accordingly. With a fresh airline to outside and my skimmer I'm able to get my pH above 8.1 which I'm happy about. dKH has been hovering between 8 and 9. I shut my skimmer down until I get my fish back in the tank as I don't want to strip out everything. Nitrates register zero as it is without it.

All my fish survived their copper treatment and have been transferred to an observation tank until I return them to the DT late February. Everyone is looking healthy at this point. Should something have slipped through it'll crop up within that time.

I'll be ordering replacement fish in the beginning of February and by the time they get thru my new TTM protocol the fallow period will be over. Getting a few corals between now and then from Pacific East and TSA to keep things moving along.

I hope all your tanks are doing well and please stop by to say hi and let me know how your all doing!

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, glad to hear all is well, I hope your tank blossoms into the tank you’ve always wanted in the new year!

I can’t wait to she the fish in there with all your new corals, should look amazing!!
Thanks buddy, I'm excited to get back on track. Will be starting up some new projects after the new year as well, like a floating hood!

Reef370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I could use a small swarm of drones?
Thats Good African American GIF by NdubisiOkoye

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick few pictures of the rock scape after the rebuild from tear down from catching all the fish lol. I actually like this one better from a future outlook for growing out corals etc...
PXL_20201231_210330732.jpg

PXL_20201231_210343360.jpg

PXL_20201231_210352736.MP.jpg

PXL_20201231_210404217.jpg
PXL_20201231_210357572.MP.jpg

Last of the 2020 effort!

Reef370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, those rocks are pink.... did you paint them like that??

I really didn’t see anything wrong with the first aquascape... Hahahah!!

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this piece in my tank on December 31st.
PXL_20210101_221225831_exported_4151_1610921620564.jpg

A local reefer was having a tough time and gave my good friend @jk_s124 and myself a few frags for insurance purposes. Came back from vacation and was pleasantly surprised by the growth.

Today:
PXL_20210117_221223366.MP.jpg

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again, happy new year all! Now that the holidays are at an end and I'm through my vacation I hope to be back at it on a regular basis. Not that I expected to be missed at all (so many cooler set ups than mine lol) but I've been coasting for a bit due to work and other diversions.

Just got back from a snorkeling trip in the maldives that was out of this world! One thing to note was the real world devastation of our planet's reefs. Between ilnino, global warming etc it was tragic in person. Despite all that it was still a true wonder to witness reef life that was thriving in person.

A quick video that I took using my GoPro on a truly wonderful life changing experience I was blessed to have experienced. Snorkeling in an Atoll (Lhaviyani) in the Maldives with a pod of gigantic eagle manta rays.

Trying to prioritize my next move, some low hanging fruit like under cabinet lighting surfaced. I chose a simple prefab LED solution that was made for under cabinet lighting in kitchen applications. It's waterproof, controllable by remote (supplied in kit) or by an app on your phone. Obviously you can extend control with an apex and a dry contact module which I ultimately plan to do once I skin the stand. I love this solution as I chained two kits together for $40ea and I have a lighting solution that I have infinite control over with regards to spectrum, intensity and 64 modes in addition to music modes etc.

White:
PXL_20210120_023656333.jpg

Green:
PXL_20210120_024207127.PORTRAIT.jpg

Seizure inducing:
(Ok editors note... R2R you're so funny, gif search of seizure produces no results, though other standard gif searches produce many... However related searches happily produce the results below... Umm ok let's go with that, thanks for keeping my innocence safe R2R lol)

cat dog GIF

Anyhoo... Looking forward to integrating this with cabinet doors eventually.

Here's a link to where I found these.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to try and do more periodic updates as they come. Nothing moving fast anymore as I'm at that stage where things don't happen quickly any longer haha. Starting to add corals at a more steady pace as params are stable and the ones I do have are doing well for the most part I think. I'm sure once I get my fish back in the tank other aspects will come in to line as well (NO3/PO4).

Few weeks back I lost a shipment (half anyhow) from Pacific East Aquaculture. Not their fault, UPS scr3w3d the pooch on that one. PEA was very responsive and easy to work with and in fact reached out and let me know that they were seeing the delay via tracking. That alone was impressive and they issued me credit without hesitation. I'll be going back to them for sure. Lost some chalices but somehow a zoa frag managed to survive the shipment. They still credited me the entire thing.

Tried out Top Shelf Aquatics for the first time. No issues there, well packaged, but with cold Wisconsin weather things always arrive a bit cold even when on time. Everything survived and I was happy with what I received. A blue tip torch, rainbow Acan and a Starefire Clove frag.

Ordered my last two Kessil A360X's and mounts along with some other needed supplies. I went to Amazon for the Klinks (they wanted $25???? and they were 10ft long who spaces their lights that far apart??). They're just a simple USB-C cord smh... $7 ea.

I'll follow up a little later today with a short video once the lights are ramped up to full.

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just using my phone here so forgive the quality. I'm pretty excited as now that I look back I only put rock in the tank on Sept. 30th. Even with my ich/velvet setback, I'm really happy with it's progression! Perhaps I could be pushing things faster, but I got lessons learned on what that gets me with the fish haha.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered my last two Kessil A360X's and mounts along with some other needed supplies. I went to Amazon for the Klinks (they wanted $25???? and they were 10ft long who spaces their lights that far apart??). They're just a simple USB-C cord smh... $7 ea.

Try living in Canada where there $42 each, it's INSANE! I ordered mine from Amazon, they were $12 at 3ft, MUCH better!

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try living in Canada where there $42 each, it's INSANE! I ordered mine from Amazon, they were $12 at 3ft, MUCH better!
Tell me the tale brotha! Why are OEM's like that? They produce a solid core product, but then absolutely fall on their faces supporting it with the ancillary things needed to round it out to a complete solution. I just don't get it. I see a market here... AquariumCablesRUs.doulbleUTF

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me the tale brotha! Why are OEM's like that? They produce a solid core product, but then absolutely fall on their faces supporting it with the ancillary things needed to round it out to a complete solution. I just don't get it. I see a market here... AquariumCablesRUs.doulbleUTF

I can't tell you why lol I wish though, and I agree 100% who needs a 10ft cord????? I mean, I can see it running from the spectra controller to the first light. But after that, even a 2ft cord is enough.

I would spend top dollar if I knew the cables were manufactured in North America, which I don't believe they are. And they weren't twice the length of my tank ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell you why lol I wish though, and I agree 100% who needs a 10ft cord????? I mean, I can see it running from the spectra controller to the first light. But after that, even a 2ft cord is enough.

I would spend top dollar if I knew the cables were manufactured in North America, which I don't believe they are. And they weren't twice the length of my tank ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious
As if we didn't all have have enough miles of stranded copper running around. Either it's absurdly too much or absurdly too little. I think most would spend a bit more to have the options that accommodate their setups. Either way, interesting problem to solve. They could at least be proactive and transparent and say hey, we don't wanna mess around with this, but here's the standard.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As if we didn't all have have enough miles of stranded copper running around. Either it's absurdly too much or absurdly too little. I think most would spend a bit more to have the options that accommodate their setups. Either way, interesting problem to solve. They could at least be proactive and transparent and say hey, we don't wanna mess around with this, but here's the standard.

I agree whole-heartedly and really I think this could extend to all other manufacturers. I would gladly pay more for an option for say, a shorter power cord. Power cords are another bone of contention for me. Most of our equipment is within 4ft of there power source, however we are given 8-15 ft of power cords to work with and bundle up, It's insane!

BTW, I agree with leaving the sump open, it's too pretty to hide!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back