Rock Anemone Hiding (Advice Please)

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently ordered a rock flower anemone from Aquarium Depot and it arrived alive and healthy (surprisingly). After acclimation I placed it on the rocks in my frag tank, and it almost immediately went into a little cave I have. It receives next to no light there and it's impossible to feed it. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what I should do.

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I was just worried because this is day four of it being in almost complete darkness.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I was just worried because this is day four of it being in almost complete darkness.

Unless you could super easily move a rock or something and expose it to light, I really wouldn't risk it. Can you get a pic of it?

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the answer is no, I really can't get a pic. This is the best I can do. He's the white blob behind my ruby red crab in that tiny cave.

487ad7862a0a6b5d383f59d000207754.jpg

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my Rock Nems was wedged in a rock for almost 2 weeks! I thought for sure was a goner but came home and it was out and front and center! they are quirky :rolleyes: ... give it more time!

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bc115230d1b0467e60051064c75d4146.jpg

I cam home last night and he was out! Now I'm worried about him wandering.

Do RFAs pose a danger to nearby soft corals?

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bc115230d1b0467e60051064c75d4146.jpg

I cam home last night and he was out! Now I'm worried about him wandering.

Do RFAs pose a danger to nearby soft corals?

Wow it's completely bleached. It can definitely sting corals but I would just try to let it do what it wants as messing with it will only stress it out more. If it starts heading for a coral, you can point a powerhead at it to hopefully get it going in a different direction. Almost all anemones will wander to some degree when you first get them (or when they come out of hiding) in order to find a spot where they are happy.

OP
OP
Roboson

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's suuuuuuuper white. It has some fluorescence under blue light so I think it's just naturally on the pale side. Maybe it will color up some soon.

moorjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I found this- I bought one a couple days ago and it did the same thing- immediately went into this little cave. Haven’t seen it and hoped it comes out soon- but most importantly just hope it’s ok

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a mini carpet hide for months. When he finally came out he was light pink almost bleached but also easily doubled in size. I nursed it by feeding it when I could. He got all of his color back after a few months. Most of it. He is bright velvety red like when I got him. But his oral disc is just dark rather than the iridescent neon green it used to be.

I recently bought about a dozen rock flowers and one of them settled in so. I felt he appeared almost doubled in size from when I saw him at LFS. Then slowly he started sucking himself under a rock I didn’t think was possible (for anything) to slip under. I saw little tentacles peeping out.

I now see no trace of him; that doesn’t mean he didn’t move somewhere I can see. Hopefully, all he is doing is hiding and he didn’t melt away or something.

whatuknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad about this discussion. I just bought my first bubble tip yesterday only to find it so deep in hiding it took over an hour to find it

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back