Rock Questions

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the color change?
I have noticed that not live rock usually is white like the image but live rock is purple, does the bacteria change the color?

download (5).jpg
ezgif-4-d452b0a028.jpg

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It could also be coralline algae which is typically purple but sometimes varies

Upvote 0

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the color change?
I have noticed that not live rock usually is white like the image but live rock is purple, does the bacteria change the color?

download (5).jpg
ezgif-4-d452b0a028.jpg
I mean I have purple dry rock, and it has mostly stayed purple the whole time in my tank haha

Upvote 0

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one at the bottom is painted and “seeded” with dormant bacteria. I think the jury is perhaps still out on what the usefulness of that bacteria, but the rock tends to look a little nicer.

It’ll all get covered with algae sooner or later, and then covered with either corals or coralline algae once the system matures.

Upvote 0

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the color change?

download (5).jpg
ezgif-4-d452b0a028.jpg
Once you have coralline algae, the color will change to a purple/red looking color.

Personally, I bought dry rock painted this color to have a nice appearance during the "transitional" phase.

Upvote 0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dry purple stuff is coated with purple epoxy paint. This clogs the porous skeleton and makes the pieces more like decorations rather than functioning rock.

Purple coralline can also clog up some pores in rock, but only on the surfaces exposed to light leaving the rest to allow water through, homes for microfauna and also natural places for things like sponges, etc. to attach.

Painted rock will almost never become real rock.

Upvote 0

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hasn't quite been my experience from my friends at WWC, what I've seen at Aquashella, and what's happening with my current aquarium...

There's plenty of posts here and in other forums proving this wrong as well.

The above will absolute become a live rock over time.

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using that painted rock on every application now.

Saves at least a year or so for white to purple up, so I get mature looking scape from the beginning.

I found no good reason to wait for real coralline to cover a white rock when it will blend in with the purple stuff seamlessly.

Can add rock at anytime which matches current rock, no longer do I have white pieces that look out of place.

7 years in, this rock still looks great and functions well as a home for algae and bacteria processors.

Upvote 1

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want more out of my rock than what happens on the surface. Of course the people selling it will say that it is awesome. You might be happy with it, but it will not be the same as OG live rock. Plastic plants still have bacteria, protozoans and things that grow on them, but they are not real, live plants.

Upvote 0

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the color change?

download (5).jpg
ezgif-4-d452b0a028.jpg

The color definitely changes with time!

July 2021
20210730_185025.jpg

Today
20231103_163000.jpg

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The dry purple stuff is coated with purple epoxy paint. This clogs the porous skeleton and makes the pieces more like decorations rather than functioning rock.

Purple coralline can also clog up some pores in rock, but only on the surfaces exposed to light leaving the rest to allow water through, homes for microfauna and also natural places for things like sponges, etc. to attach.

It will become 'real rock' - however it will probably not have the amount of bacteria on/in it - for the reasons you stated - however I will also say - the micropores in live rock - are likely anaerobic - unless there is a large amount of flow - thus - nitrate reduction with 'real rock' compared to 'painted rock' will likely be different. Not so sure about ammonia, and nitrite

Upvote 0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it cannot do all of that stuff, then it is not real. It is a subset. Call it something different. It is an ornament with a subset of things that happen on the surface.

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it cannot do all of that stuff, then it is not real. It is a subset. Call it something different. It is an ornament with a subset of things that happen on the surface.
I would suggest that in fact it can do all of those things - but not as efficiently. I'm relying on the reports here that some chemical coating is blocking all of the pores in live rock - I'm not sure thats the case. But - Had I a choice it would be Colored rock <artificial rock < cured 'live rock' <live rock from the ocean

Upvote 0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it cannot, then it can't. Why are you arguing this? I know that you like to take fringe positions and argue, but this is not a hill to even try and climb to die on.

Even if all of the pores are not covered, portland cement and limestone concrete with a bit of aragonite mixed in is not real aragonite.

I could be starting QB in the NFL right now - I can do all of those things but I am not as efficient. So I guess that I am a real starting QB... almost.

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it cannot, then it can't. Why are you arguing this? I know that you like to take fringe positions and argue, but this is not a hill to even try and climb to die on.

Even if all of the pores are not covered, portland cement and limestone concrete with a bit of aragonite mixed in is not real aragonite.

I could be starting QB in the NFL right now - I can do all of those things but I am not as efficient. So I guess that I am a real starting QB... almost.
I suggest you step back and consider what I actually said. There is no data for my position - and no data for yours. Why is there an immediate attack when I say something that might say something different from your opinion?

From a science perspective, though, there is no evidence that anything but perhaps nitrate reduction is improved? Right? I mean - most of the pores in live rock are anaerobic - which is what I said. This is why I personally recommend high flow in reef tanks. Just my opinion. Nothing personal

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back